Black diamond parts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds good. A couple of good pics of it, and I may not need it, just some measurements. Just depends on how that o-ring goes on there. If there’s just a recess or a shoulder behind the threads, piece of cake. That’s how I would imagine it would be but, I don’t own one either.
There is an oring groove but no shoulder.
Tough to measure the oring groove width but i would put it between 0.080 and 0.100
15790160026366723434444142287937.jpg

Last edited:
Perfect! Thanks Michiganmuzzy! I know that took time out of your day to do that, and was probably a nuisance. I haven’t heard back from him, I PM’d him. Maybe he found something else. This is what I was talking about in my reply in “elk bullets” guys willing to help!!! If you can measure the thickness of the o-ring and I may have missed the diameter right behind the threads, that’s all I need. I have a piece all chucked up in the lathe, ready to cut. I may make one for kicks, (actually I’m pretty sure I will) and send it to somebody to try and see if it fits...

Perfect! Thanks Michiganmuzzy! I know that took time out of your day to do that, and was probably a nuisance. I haven’t heard back from him, I PM’d him. Maybe he found something else. This is what I was talking about in my reply in “elk bullets” guys willing to help!!! If you can measure the thickness of the o-ring and I may have missed the diameter right behind the threads, that’s all I need. I have a piece all chucked up in the lathe, ready to cut. I may make one for kicks, (actually I’m pretty sure I will) and send it to somebody to try and see if it fits...
Tough to measure my oring. Its a bit compressed and seems around 0.060 maybe 0.070. i didn't measure the oring groove diameter. I will tonite.

sdporter, I don't think it matters but there are bevels in the spring hole. Not sure why.
View attachment 7178
Looks like they just poked the hole with a drill bit. Those measurements are perfect! I’ll have to start over haha. I cut the Irving groove with my cutoff tool and it’s .125. Probably wouldn’t matter but.....I want it as close as possible. Thanks for the measurements!

Oh man, what a thread, talk about coming together to get it done, way to go guys, I know I've been helped out by coming here

Oh man, what a thread, talk about coming together to get it done, way to go guys, I know I've been helped out by coming here
Me too. I couldn't make this cap but i had a day off work and the range was closed so, plenty of time to get the measurements. Enjoyed the video of starting to make the cap. I loved hearing all the noise from that old machine. To quote someone i knew, "it's seen a lot and likes to talk about it".

Guys, I’ve been separated from my phone for a few days and haven’t been able to visit the forum but when I did, Wow! All of y’all are great for your willingness to help with this issue. I’m still trying to catch up on all of the comments.

Guys, I’ve been separated from my phone for a few days and haven’t been able to visit the forum but when I did, Wow! All of y’all are great for your willingness to help with this issue. I’m still trying to catch up on all of the comments.
Also, this is a great opportunity for me to completely disassemble and deep clean my BD.

Guys, I have been missing for a few days. I lost a son-in-law to depression on Tuesday night. Hardest thing I have ever gone through. Been a wreck (and still am) for the last few days. We have been in Las Vegas since Wednesday morning. Strange thing, my daughter knew it was inevitable, she has been holding us up. Should be the opposite. Just got back to Utah this morning, and into the shop. Be good to have a project to get my mind somewhat off of the last few days events. Be going on your receiver plug again in the morning Culp1.

sdporter, I don't think it matters but there are bevels in the spring hole. Not sure why.
View attachment 7178
Width of both groove and shoulder
View attachment 7172 View attachment 7173
that's 0.075
My smallest grooving tool is .100 so I’m going with that. I could grind it down to .075 but it should be fine at .100. I would guess the o-ring goes into a slight recess in the receiver and seals against the flat flange on the cap, so the width of the groove should be ok if it’s a little wider

Latest posts

Back