Black MZ Review

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good to see my velocity tests were close.
All the tests i've seen done on Black MZ, including those Sam and i made, give about the same velocity when bullets of the same weight are used.  The difference comes in the extreme spread and standard deviation.   Compaction of the powder is very important when using any APP granular powder.   Variation in compaction will give variation in velocity.  

There is another problem with Black MZ.  

Today i sifted a 2/3 full can of Black MZ with my wife's rice flour sifter.  Black MZ contains the same fine stuff that 3F Pinnacle does, just not as much.   The quantity of fine stuff must vary from can to can.  The amount of fine stuff present in each can causes differences in the extreme spread and standard deviation during tests.  

Gotta test this sifted powder.

The fines: 

a1yn.jpg

falcon said:
good to see my velocity tests were close.
All the tests i've seen done on Black MZ, including those Sam and i made, give about the same velocity when bullets of the same weight are used.  The difference comes in the extreme spread and standard deviation.   Compaction of the powder is very important when using any APP granular powder.   Variation in compaction will give variation in velocity.  

There is another problem with Black MZ.  

Today i sifted a 2/3 full can of Black MZ with my wife's rice flour sifter.  Black MZ contains the same fine stuff that 3F Pinnacle does, just not as much.   The quantity of fine stuff must vary from can to can.  The amount of fine stuff present in each can causes differences in the extreme spread and standard deviation during tests.  

Gotta test this sifted powder.

The fines: 

a1yn.jpg
You better be looking over your shoulder sooner or later that little Korean Lady is going to catch you using her cooking items :)

wow thats a hell of a job sifting that powder! Where did you get the screen material for doing this? I still want to make my own BP once i gather the items to build the press.

Back