Black Powder vs Substitutes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, on the redesigned Mag Sparks the top half that unscrews, from the bottom half where the primer goes, is now threaded differently it will not fit the 2009-2010 production models however they will fit the older production models.  According to Mr Hubbard the subcontractor changed the specs.  Mr Hubbard took over production again and the newer ones are made to spec.

OK, that makes sense now. Maybe I should hurry up and buy a couple of the "good" ones quickly since Mr. Hubbard is in his 80s.

I bought one in 2011 so it may be a defective one although I've shot it quite a bit and it seems fine.

I've always wanted to try them as well , maybe I must order one and see how it works.

Go to Warren Custom Outdoors click on Mag spark and then click on pricing information it will give you the dates of the which caps and which Mag Sparks  work together.  The folks there are quite helpful.

I just got an email back from Warren Outdoors. They looked up when I bought mine and said the bad ones were gone 10 months before I got mine. Mine should be fine.

They have something called a "One Hole Sight" which is basically a peep sight blade that replaces the blade in the rear adjustable sight of guns. I'm going to get one for my Ruger Old Army so I can focus on the front sight.

that one hole sight will work on my 58cal since i used a marlin 336 rear sight! Hmmmmm i will have to experiment.

That's what makes shooting so interesting Jon ...always something new to try out !

Yes Pete but how do you accumulate goodies if you don't "test" anything .....we sometimes need an excuse to buy something :lol:

There's an older alternative that can be used with any open sights called a Merit optical device. I'll post some photos in the ACCESSORIES section.

Spitfire said:
Yes Pete but how do you accumulate goodies if you don't "test" anything .....we sometimes need an excuse to buy something :lol:
 I let you guys do the testing.  :clown:

MULEY SAID  Keep in mind BH 209 has a lot more pressure. I wouldn't be that comfortable shooting in a gun using nipples. Even though it's been done. I always lean to the safe side.

So flat out what is the scoop as far as the above statement goes. I finally found some BH209 locally and a month or so ago I got a mag spark. I want to give it a try with this combo this coming weekend on my old side locks but you have me worried now especially since I shoot right handed guns left handed and for real only have one good eye. i wouldn't look too pretty with a magspark unit stuck in my left eye socket. Is the pressure really a lot more than black or pyrodex?

Keep in mind i'm already blind in one eye. I'm pretty protective of my good eye now.

Whatever you do. Where good eye protection.

Though I am right handed I have always shot rifles lefty because my right eye is legally blind so I am right with you on the eye protection.
All of my muzzle loaders are side locks, all but one are from kits I put together before the inline stuff came out. I suppose I could go back to black or pyrodex but at this point I am looking for the lazy mans cleaning routine that's why I am on to the BlackHorn.

A friend of mine converted his White Mountain Carbine that he was shooting 90gr Pyro in and BH told him to start with 80 gr of BH.
Your best bet would be to call BH and confirm what's going to be safe....

buckheart said:
Though I am right handed I have always shot rifles lefty because my right eye is legally blind so I am right with you on the eye protection.
All of my muzzle loaders are side locks, all but one are from kits I put together before the inline stuff came out. I suppose I could go back to black or pyrodex but at this point I am looking for the lazy mans cleaning routine that's why I am on to the BlackHorn.
Not sure what's hard about using BP? I can take endless shots with a PRB with no swabbing. The most i've taken is 30, but I could have gone on forever.

A simple flush with soap and water when i'm done, and not only is the bore clean, but the breech channel too.

How are you going to clean the breech channel with BH 209?

How are you going to clean the breech channel with BH 209?

Take the nipple and drum off and run something through the hole in the barrel. The two side locks I want to use it in have a threaded hole in the side of the barrel and can be converted to flint lock with a threaded vent hole type deal.

You may be doing that a lot. A 209 primer has a lot of residue compared to a cap.

Back