Black Powder vs Substitutes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muley said:
buckheart said:
Though I am right handed I have always shot rifles lefty because my right eye is legally blind so I am right with you on the eye protection.
All of my muzzle loaders are side locks, all but one are from kits I put together before the inline stuff came out. I suppose I could go back to black or pyrodex but at this point I am looking for the lazy mans cleaning routine that's why I am on to the BlackHorn.
Not sure what's hard about using BP? I can take endless shots with a PRB with no swabbing. The most i've taken is 30, but I could have gone on forever.

A simple flush with soap and water when i'm done, and not only is the bore clean, but the breech channel too.

How are you going to clean the breech channel with BH 209?
yea I love plain old black powder also. but I own a lot  of traditional
 guns. but I do shoot 110 grains of 2f in my Remington 700ml/240 grain honrady xtp =dead deer every time for me. and never misfired.

heck I tried 2f bp in my cva Electra also. worked just fine. and pretty good accuracy at a 100 yards.
for me it has less issues than pyrodex or 777

going to try blackhorn thought in my prohunter

If you want to shoot BH209 in a sidelock you can use 10gr of Jim Shocky gold 3f as a booster without the magspark. Cleanup is as simple as one dry patch,one wet patch 91 percent isopropyl alchohol both sides. Next wet patch clean.Then a dry patch. To clean bolster,drum, pour alcohol in let set then flush.
      Ignition is excellent. Tested in a $100 renegade parts gun and a couple of others . Not necessary to clean right away and can hunt with a fouled barrel.Working well so far for me.

Thanks Muley,
        You reminded me of probably the biggest advantage of not shooting black. It avoids the stink  that accompanies shooting black about the stink of shooting black when the other half returns.

Back