BLACKHORN 209 Powder volume weighed,

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally got a jug of BH 209 powder. I measured by volume 110 gr. in a TC powder measure and poured it into my zeroed out pan scale. It weight 92.4 gr by weight. I read in a post on here that volume is divided by 1.5 to get the weight. That comes out to 77.333. Am I missing something here?

I did tap the volume measure to settle the powder, perhaps that is how I cam out with over 15 more grains? I then poured 77.3 grains weighed on the scale and poured into the volume measure without tapping and it came up to just about 94/95 gr by volume.

Last edited:
With gentle tapping 76 weighed grain of Blackhorn, measures 95 grain volume using this here stuff.

One should know that virtually every lot of Blackhorn has a different density. One learns to go by what one measures and tries to be as consistent as one is able.

Im with ron. I just looked at my blackhorn reload tubes that i know have 76.5 grains off the scale. Shaken up and loose its a hair under 100 volume. Tapped down its a hair over 95 or so...

Like Ron said, being consistent is key. If you prefer weighing then volume measure whatever your heart desires, just don't exceed 120v and then weigh it. Take that weighed measurement and match all of your weighed loads to that. This will need to be repeated with a different lot number as the density/weight will change from lot to lot.

here is load data image for BH209

Attachments

• 92389B06-385D-4520-A223-52EC17BC278D.png
    92389B06-385D-4520-A223-52EC17BC278D.png
    148.9 KB · Views: 86
I've forgotten who did the video, but one of the very experienced people on this forum tested weighed charges vs. volume charges, and said he couldn't tell the difference until he changed lots of powder. The weighed charges were consistent across lots but the volumetric charges were not.

I've forgotten who did the video, but one of the very experienced people on this forum tested weighed charges vs. volume charges, and said he couldn't tell the difference until he changed lots of powder. The weighed charges were consistent across lots but the volumetric charges were not.
Jeff Fisk did a very good video of the difference between weight & volume measuring BH 209 & the difference in lot densities & why he prefers to use volumetric measuring.

so what have we learned? weigh your charges for consistency. ML and BP shooting isn't really all that different than metallic cartridge reloading. Every charge should be weighed, if you want to be consistent, doesn't matter if it's BP, Pyrodex, 777, Black MZ, BH209, or a normal smokeless powder. You can use volume to roughly meter out charges, Lee still sends out dippers with their die sets, last I bought. But you are never going to equal the consistency of metering by weight. A powder charge of a particular formulation gives off the same volume (read: weight) of gas per its solid weight, it doesn't matter how much volume the charge took up initially.

i played around with 70-75 gr. of powder by weight i think 75 gr. is more that enough for deer hunting. it almost
seems to be to strong of a charge. you be the judge! 73-75 is the sweet spot for my accura mr. 1.5-2in. groups
@ 100yd and i know i can tighten it up with a little more range time.

I still find it amazing how many of the MML forum members use “grains” in describing volume. A grain is a unit of measurement of weight— not volume. It is not correct to say 84 grains volume of powder.

I disagree, grain is both a volume and a weight measurement. Its an old volume measurement, yes, but still an accepted way to measure small amounts of powder. Call it 'traditional' if you like. But measuring by weight in the field is a little more difficult than by volume. Back when you could spend months or years in the wilderness, volume was the easiest way to measure and it just stuck with us. I carry plenty of premeasured powder but if i need or want to take more than 9 shots then i have to measure it some how. Its simple and it works well enough for most of us. But it certainly is not incorrect.

Back