BLACKHORN 209 Powder volume weighed,

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sooo...... if I understand this correctly, If I weigh my charges of BH (which I do) my gun will shoot consistently across different lot #'s of BH as opposed to using the same volume measurement across different BH lot #'s (where I may need to readjust my sights) ?? I hope that makes sense.

What I don’t understand is that BH is an extruded powder. Each grain is a single round particle with a hole thru the middle. Seems like a pretty exact way to manufacture a powder. In the original powder made by Western, I didn’t see hardly any difference in the weight to volume comparison between bottles/ lots. What changed?

The particle size stays the same. It’s the density of the particle that changes from lot to lot.
Look at it as looking at a regular bb’s weight being compared to the weight of an identically sized bb made of tungsten or bismuth. From lot to lot the density can, and will, change in BH 209 powder. The physical size of the partials stays the same, but the density does not.

Last edited:
Here’s a post 5 years past.
Ive noticed as much as 10 percent difference between one jug to another when comparing weight to volume of BH209. Its almost like I have to work up a new load every time I buy a new jug of powder. I always weigh the charges. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

And here’s Jeff’s take on the issue for those who haven’t watched it:

Thanks for reposting this for those that are new to the group. I've watched all 3 parts. Fantastic info. Jeff does a great job explaining what method he does & why. I think this 3 part video would serve every BH 209 shooter well to watch & learn from. One couldn't ask for a better teacher thats for sure.

Latest posts

Back