Blackhorn 209.....WTH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiner200gr

Reaction score
I read a lot about Blackhorn 209 before I decided to buy it. I have always used Triple 7, but I had a need to bring the muzzle velocity up a bit to the prescribed muzzle velocity for a Burris 3-9's range reticle. They want 2,100 fps with a 250 grain for a match (100-300).
My CVA Accura is set up for 209 primers and I have been using CCI's without any problem. I was at 1975 fps with three 50 grain Triple 7 pellets. I figured 120 grains of Blackhorn should do the job from what I had read,
When I pulled the trigger, the primer went off.....then, a half second later, the powder went off.
Squeaky clean breech plug, all as it should be. This rifle has never had a hang fire in all the time I've owned it. Unless someone can give me a good reason for this, I'll have a full pound of Blackhorn for sale (minus 120 grains).
ll

I read a lot about Blackhorn 209 before I decided to buy it. I have always used Triple 7, but I had a need to bring the muzzle velocity up a bit to the prescribed muzzle velocity for a Burris 3-9's range reticle. They want 2,100 fps with a 250 grain for a match (100-300).
My CVA Accura is set up for 209 primers and I have been using CCI's without any problem. I was at 1975 fps with three 50 grain Triple 7 pellets. I figured 120 grains of Blackhorn should do the job from what I had read,
When I pulled the trigger, the primer went off.....then, a half second later, the powder went off.
Squeaky clean breech plug, all as it should be. This rifle has never had a hang fire in all the time I've owned it. Unless someone can give me a good reason for this, I'll have a full pound of Blackhorn for sale (minus 120 grains).
ll
Is the breech plug designed specifically for igniting BH209? If not, then that would be my first purchase/fix.

I’m also using Winchester 209 primers with BH209 in my Knight DISC-less (using bare primer breech plug), and it’s ignited/shot great.

Is the breech plug designed specifically for igniting BH209? If not, then that would be my first purchase/fix.
The breech plug is a CVA breech for use with 209 shotgun primers. Whether or not it is also specifically for BH 209 I do not know. But I can tell you the plug is not too long and the hole in the business end is huge.

The powder side should look like this or its the wrong plug.
4111382_orig.jpg

cva_optima_v2_QRBPs.jpg

Even with the correct plug and primers,my Accura had issues on cold mornings with BH 209. Using loose 777 powder instead of pellets will increase your velocity. If your scope is second focal plane, changing the magnification wiill change the range reticle's moa. For the cost difference of BH209, you could buy a new scope and pay for it in a few years of shooting. I can't find any here in Albuquerque, even if I wanted to.

Even with the correct plug and primers,my Accura had issues on cold mornings with BH 209. Using loose 777 powder instead of pellets will increase your velocity. If your scope is second focal plane, changing the magnification wiill change the range reticle's moa. For the cost difference of BH209, you could buy a new scope and pay for it in a few years of shooting. I can't find any here in Albuquerque, even if I wanted to.
Anyone know if the Burris Fullfield E1" 3-9x40 model #200347 muzzleloader scope is first or second focal plane? I can't find the instruction booklet.

Back