Blackhorn 209.....WTH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To get a FFP from Burris your have to step upto a Veracity or better. Their wording is confusing. All other vendors call it SFP or 2nd focal plane and Burris calls it RFP....Rear Focal Plane.

Many people prefer SFP because on a FFP the reticle might be hardly visible on lower magnifications.
FFP-768x393.jpg

While a SFP is still fine on all powers. Its easier to see but your hash marks are specific to magnification. Change the magnification and the hash marks for drop change. BDC marks are less useful unless you leave the scope on one power all the time. Notice how the size of the rabbit changes within the reticle but stays the same in the FFP reticle.
SFP-768x393.jpg

Last edited:
Easy to tell if FFP or 2FP, when you increase magnification does the reticle get larger?
If the reticle stays the same it is 2FP, if the reticle gets larger it is FFP.
I did what Cani said. The reticle is the same from 3X to 9X. I figured it was 2nd FP all along, just like my Nikon 3 -9 300 BDC was. After I started this question, I went to several places that had these for sale and read everything in the description. They all left out the focal plane part except one ( I don't remember which it was) that said it was FIRST ffp. So go figure.

To get a FFP from Burris your have to step upto a Veracity or better. Their wording is confusing. All other vendors call it SFP or 2nd focal plane and Burris calls it RFP....Rear Focal Plane.

Many people prefer SFP because on a FFP the reticle might be hardly visible on lower magnifications.
FFP-768x393.jpg

While a SFP is still fine on all powers. Its easier to see but your hash marks are specific to magnification. Change the magnification and the hash marks for drop change. BDC marks are less useful unless you leave the scope on one power all the time. Notice how the size of the rabbit changes within the reticle but stays the same in the FFP reticle.
SFP-768x393.jpg
Good work GM54!

Pretty much any FFP scope under $600 is gunna be garbage and/or made in China. Occasionally Natchez has deals on a FFP Veracity for about $450. Midway blew out some fairly nice Crimson Trace FFP models (Made in Japan) cheap too but they are MASSIVE scopes. Like over 30oz massive.

Athlon does offer a FFP HD 4-16x44 scope but now its over $500 and it is made in China but reviews have been solid for a long time. Camera Land sometimes has them on sale for around $450 too but at that price i would just get a Veracity on sale.

I love everything about this scope other than its made in China.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/athlo...dc21-0135-d8ed-00163e90e196?variation=1677941
Kinda hard to shell out that kinda dough on Chinese made when you can buy a Japanese made Sightron SIII for $100 more.
https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...1e85-013a-2caf-00163e90e196?variation=3103454
Or a STAC FFP for over $150 less. (Made in Philippines by Kenko)
https://cameralandny.com/shop/brand...2471-013a-2db6-00163e90e196?variation=3114718

Another thing I find is (for example my Sightron III 6-24 FFP) at 6x the reticle is SMALL and a dark background pretty much makes the reticle useless. 10x it starts coming into its own though.

There is an elephant in the room here. Let me play devil's advocate.
Why would anyone choose BH 209, when Triple 777 is easier to light, cleaner, cheaper, etc.

For me it was dealing with the Crud Ring that had me try it. Much less smoke and I have shot up to 10 times without having to swab. Also, with Hoppes it is an easier cleanup. To each his own but the additional cost was worth it to me.

There is an elephant in the room here. Let me play devil's advocate.
Why would anyone choose BH 209, when Triple 777 is easier to light, cleaner, cheaper, etc.
2 out of 3 isn't bad as they say. Triple 7 loose is cheaper and easier to light buts definitely not cleaner which is why BH209 has gotten so popular. There's a reason that BH209 is used by literally all the rifles designed for so called "super magnum" charges...because when used properly, no other black powder substitute can generate as much force as BH209 can. No elephant in the room actually...your assertions are fallacious.

And if you plan ahead, hitting Walmart after the season is over, BH209 @$19-$22/bottle is probably cheaper than 777.
Not where I come from. Around here they got about 4 bottles and sold those in a day and never got any more. Same price this year as last...$36.86. But with none on the shelves who cares? I don't really care myself as I have a plenty but lots of others can't get any. North Central Ohio. And Cabela's can take their $55 10oz bottles and shove them sideways bone dry square up their asses!

Back