Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

long shot

Reaction score
Been weighing charges of blackhorn, 63 grains, Volume scale is set at 85. Is this normal? I set the volume scale at 120, weighed charge it was 94 by weight. To Me that is huge difference. lot #10101729

Yes, that's normal. BH is pretty dense compared to real BP. As far as I know real BP is the only powder that volume and weight match up.

Just about rite for lot 29.
Each lot has been different for several years when compare weight to volume.

The new lot 30 is dead on 84gr wt to 120 by volume.

The new rule stating 84 gr bye weight really is significant per which lot you have versus 120 gr volume.

Blackhorn has listened and resolved this with lot 30

With the old powder if you measured your loads by volume your speeds were fairly consistant . If you weighed the old powder ,depending on what lot you received your speed could vary as much as 40 fps .

Like Jeff previously posted Blackhorn has this problem resolved. 84 grains by weight or 120 by volume it does not matter . .

Your right Bob it's kinda a$$ backward . You would think measuring by weight should be more consistant . When I called and complained about this problem they told me it was designed to be measured by volume . It's kinda tuff to be exact when measuring by volume ? Sometimes I think I'm being way to picky measuring out my loads . I doubt any of us are good enough shots to even notice 1 or 2 grains .

At least now lot 30 and beyond all Blackhorn should weigh the same.

I can shoot MOA when measuring by volume. Close enough for hunting. If someone bought me a scale for Christmas (unlikely) i'd use it, but I won't buy one for just hunting. BH is chunky and more of a challenge to be consistent measuring by volume, but with care, it can be done.

Muley Hunter said:
BH is chunky and more of a challenge to be consistent measuring by volume, but with care, it can be done.

I have no idea where you are buying your BH because every container of mine has been extremely consistent in granule size and slides right thru every measuring or delivery piece I have used with it. Chunky is so far away from I have seen I'm thinking you must have left the cap off your jug during a mountain snow storm.

I don't mean chunky as in sticking together. I mean it's not a fine powder. It can build a bridge on itself and not flow.

Its good to know they finally got the weight to volume standardized. Ive been complaing about that for years and most members thought I was nuts, oh well.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Blackhorn being a extruded tubular powder and typically tube length and o.d. of tube being consistent would measure out the same by volume so to have variations i have to believe i.d. of powder tubes has to change to effect weight by grains. Or density of product changes.

For competitive shooting im hopeful western powder will keep it consistent from now on.

I personally have seen different lots of powder measured at 120 gr volume range from 84gr by weight to 95 gr by weight.

herschel conyers said:
Its good to know they finally got the weight to volume standardized. Ive been complaing about that for years and most members thought I was nuts, oh well.

Definitely not nuts been a fact for long time.

Comparing lot 27 ,28,29,30 major difference.

I contend most consist velocity over all lots has been done bye volumetric measurements.

bestill said:
herschel conyers said:

Definitely not nuts been a fact for long time.

Comparing lot 27 ,28,29,30 major difference.

I contend most consist velocity over all lots has been done bye volumetric measurements.

Totally agree with this statement... thank you

herschel conyers said:
To my knowledge no one thought you were nuts, and you certainly weren't alone. :D

About five years ago i posted Blackhorn density varies. Recently (a year ago) it was further discussed. You weren't/aren't nuts; you are astute. :D

Thanks Ron. I re read the old thread carefully, great info. There is a wealth of information on this forum. Thanks to all.

You guys were ahead of the game . Blackhorn says on their site that Blackhorn 209 should be measured by volume . If measured by volume your speeds will be very close lot to lot . If measured by weight it can vary as much as 100 to 150 fps at max load . I know this for a fact. At Bob's last shoot . ( which was a very good time ) I shot Blackhorn 209 84 grains by weight out of lot 27 . My velocity was 2150 fps with a 270 Parker Emax. Jeff Fisk also shot 84 grains of Blackhorn but with the new powder . Which is 120 by volume or 84 by weight . ( that is how it should be !) Jeffs velocity was close to 2300 fps . If I measured my powder Lot 27 by volume 120 grains it would weigh right at 94 grains and my velocity would of been right with Jeff Fisk or very close to it.

From what Jeff has stated this problem has been corrected . Lot 30 84 grains by weight is the same as 120 by volume. That will be much nicer !

So how did Jason shoot so well if you have that much variation by weight ?

IMG_3476.JPG

Latest posts

Back