Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
45cal said:
So how did Jason shoot so well if you have that much variation by weight ?

I would say all his charges were from same lot number.
Then weight to volume would be consistent per that lot.

Variations by weight to volume is only a factor when switching lot numbers.

Lot number is last 2 numbers.
One in photo is very old lot 16

Bluedevil said:
Here is my label:

Bluedevil,

Your powder was bottled on July 26, 2012 (072612) ), from lot# 15 (last two numbers).

Rons 5# jug was bottled on October 2, 2017 (100217), from lot #29.

General Dynamics ships the bulk powder to Western Powders in black plastic barrels (drums), then it gets bottled/labeled there in the 10 oz and 5 lb jugs.

What specifically did they do to "correct" the weight to volume issue?

I've used volume ever since I read about this issue several years ago, and have had no issues. My rifles shoot very consistently using volume.

Blackhorn being a extruded tubular powder and typically tube length and o.d. of tube being consistent would measure out the same by volume so to have variations i have to believe i.d. of powder tubes has to change to effect weight by grains. Or density of product changes.

I spoke with Ballistics tech @ Western last Winter after noticing difference in a new bottle of weight vs volume. After a lengthy discussion was informed that Wester had to sign a legal waiver acknowledging there were discrepencies between lot numbers in regards to weight vs volume and the published .7 conversion factor not holding true for some lots both up and down. I was advised to measure by volume as that is how Blackhorn was designed to measured by as are all BP subs. I measured 120gr by volume from this new lot# (which weighed 94.5gr) and shot it once to confirm POI. I didn't chrono it , but It had a significantly higher POI @ 200 yds as well as harsher in recoil. I decided to revert and use my 84gr by weight which only measured a little over 105gr by volume. I shot 2 deer the following day at distances of 175 & 200 yds. both POI were dead on my POA and correspond to my previous zero from the last 5 seasons. I intend to shoot over a chrono this fall to confirm my findings again but will definitely continue weighing my charges with this bottle as well as the next.

I've shot thru going on my 4th jug of the 209 and I have all the jugs yet, as I keep loose nuts and screws in them in the shop. I just peeked and all have different lot numbers except the two most recent, which are #29. I've weighed my 209 charges from the get-go and currently shoot this powder thru three guns, soon to become 4. Two of these guns are smack on at 100 yards and less than moa. One is a 50 yard gun [Optima pistol] and is right at an inch at the 50. All are scoped. These three guns were sighted using the first jug of 209 powder using the weighed charges and getting no correction between the jugs they still shoot dead nuts. I honestly don't feel like there is enough or broad enough disparity between lots that accuracy is going to be a factor unless someone is using the 209 powder for very long range work. For hunting purposes the 209 just shines so my suggestion is to find a load [either weighed individually or by volume] that's accurate using all the components you intend to hunt with and focus on what can be done with that at the range. Decent cleaning, breech plug erosion and practice are larger factors to fret over and are usually more concerning that the weight vs volume on the powder.

It sounds as though Western has addressed the issue and has it dialed in now. I'm super happy with the product and have been even not knowing there was a difference in weight/volume. I'm darned happy with the accuracy I have been getting and I don't plan on worrying about the powder issue.

The last 3 post were spot on .
I also completely agree with the last 2 post . 99 percent of the people that shoot Blackhorn 209 are hunters and at 100 yards or less it's not going to make difference . At least not enough of a difference to matter. I cant agree more with you when you said they need to worry about their cleaning routines ,loading techniques ect... Dont sweat the small stuff .

The very few of us target shooters that are trying to hit dimes at 100 yards it does make a difference . Long range it really messes with our yardage. All of this will be a mute point . Western has taken care of the problem . 84 by weight is 120 grains by volume .

I e always weighed my charges as well and didn’t run into a variation until the day I actually second guessed myself..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back