Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have only had my Accura for a couple years and have put about 1000 rounds thru it. Never had a FTF but I always clean the breech plug every 10 - 15 shots. I dump the powder and tap the gun butt on my toe 3 times then seat the bullet tapping the rod 3 times to seat the bullet well. Prime and shoot and repeat.

Long Range, it sounds like you are well on your way to solving the problem. If things work out for you between now and the next hunting season maybe give the Lehigh plug a try.

Also with the Lehigh plug you might find you really do not need to use Mag primers which tend rush wear tear on you BP.

I really wish I knew the diameter of the 'flash channel' in the Lehigh - I might try to send them an email and ask?
Just wondering. If the flash HOLE is the same diameter on both plugs, how does the flash channel being larger help???

Looks like you probably determined it was an obscured flash channel... however, I don't see where you said what projectile you are using. Blackhorn needs to be fully sealed to combust well. Typically that means sabots (or wads on top of the powder column under the projectile). So OP, what projectile were you using?

Yes it has happened to me a few times. That’s why I won’t use it while hunting. Good ole t7 has never failed me It also doesn’t change density with lot numbers so I don’t have to figure all that out. T7 is also a lot cheaper. I don’t mind swabbing between shots with t7 either I usually just need one shot while hunting. I really don’t see what the big deal is about blackhorn. After shooting I can clean my gun up just as fast using t7. I don’t have to worry about everything being perfect with my breechplug when that big buck walks into my crosshairs.

Yes it has happened to me a few times. That’s why I won’t use it while hunting. Good ole t7 has never failed me It also doesn’t change density with lot numbers so I don’t have to figure all that out. T7 is also a lot cheaper. I don’t mind swabbing between shots with t7 either I usually just need one shot while hunting. I really don’t see what the big deal is about blackhorn. After shooting I can clean my gun up just as fast using t7. I don’t have to worry about everything being perfect with my breechplug when that big buck walks into my crosshairs.
Using T7 does have it's benefits. It seems to be getting more expensive lately, but everything thats still available is.

It also doesn’t change density with lot numbers so I don’t have to figure all that out.

No you just have to account for the change in the top of the bottle to the bottom of the bottle and deal with the amount of moisture it absorbed while you stored it. Neither of which effects BH209 even if stored for years.

No moisture or storage problems With t7 here. I have some I stored for years in the factory can. Zero problems. Loaded gun Gun went bang very accurately every time.

Top of a bottle of BH209 is exactly like the bottom of the bottle. Never seen "fines" in it. It stores virtually the same as smokeless powder. 10yr old powder will perform just like it did the day you bought it. Ive bought and used enough Triple7 and Pyrodex to know i cant say the same thing about it. Over time its performance degrades much quicker than BH209 and greater care is needed for long term storage.

It is a shy 1/8"

Thanks Ron. I was actually hoping it was a little larger, that is still small to me for the stuff that comes out of a Mag primer, although the 0.030 flash hole will help somewhat.

Just my thoughts.

So when you drill one out and replace the flash hole with one of your vent liners, what size do you drill the 'flash channel?

GM is correct in that with T7 the fines will settle to the bottom of the bottle, - but - really not a big problem if you tumble and turn the the bottle a few times before beginning the loading procedure... The fines will burn a bit faster and create a peak quicker but in a normal load will not have a great effect.

My current bottle of T7 is dated 2012 and shoots great! but, beware T7 will collect moisture if the lid is not sealed tightly.

Last edited:
I still find it surprising Lehigh did not use a 5/32 flash channel in their CVA plug. Even more surprising its smaller than the CVA or Western BH209 plugs.

I store all my powders inside milspec ammo cans with desiccant packets in the cans too. Either T7 or BH209 will last for a super long time that way if not exposed to extreme temps swings. Those cans are kept in the basement where temps stay nearly the same year round. I had a buddy that left his can of T7 at his camping/hunt property in a building. He never thought anything of it since the building was new. That bottle of T7 was junk in under 2 years.

I still find it surprising Lehigh did not use a 5/32 flash channel in their CVA plug. Even more surprising its smaller than the CVA or Western BH209 plugs.

I would agree that is certainly weird to me also, but I honestly do not know the reasoning behind it as I have never asked?

I didn’t know about the fines settling to the bottom. That’s good to know. Thanks for the info. I’ll shake my bottle before getting powder from it from now on.

I didn’t know about the fines settling to the bottom. That’s good to know. Thanks for the info. I’ll shake my bottle before getting powder from it from now on.

Do not really shake them... just roll the bottle over a few times in both directions - top and bottom and left and right. just like a gentle mixer might do..

I would agree that is certainly weird to me also, but I honestly do not know the reasoning behind it as I have never asked?

Perhaps one thing to consider perhaps why the flame channel is only 0.123" diameter -- it is 3/16" long is all.

Looks like you probably determined it was an obscured flash channel... however, I don't see where you said what projectile you are using. Blackhorn needs to be fully sealed to combust well. Typically that means sabots (or wads on top of the powder column under the projectile). So OP, what projectile were you using?

300 gr xtp with harvester crush rip sabot.

Latest posts

Back