Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Long Range

Reaction score
So I have a cva optima V2 with the blackhorn breach plug and I shoot cci magnum 209 primers. Well this morning I had a buck come in and the primer went off but the powder did not ignite. I have had this issue once before will siteing in the gun but it went off on the second primer?? Is anyone else had this issue? Kinda making me doubt it a little!!!

If your powder is dry and your primer is hot then the breech plug is dirty. They need to be cleaned out every 10 shots or so . You can hunt with a dirty barrel but the breech plug should always be clean. Just my thoughts, your mileage may vary!

Mike

Yes! When I started using 209 BH powder it happened but I wasn't using the 209BH breech plug. Since I now use a 209BH breech plug it doesn't happen but I understand the flash channel needs cleaning every 10 shots or so like the member stated above. You can do this my using the same size drill as the hole and turning the drill by hand. I think that is 1/8" drill.

So I have a cva optima V2 with the blackhorn breach plug and I shoot cci magnum 209 primers. Well this morning I had a buck come in and the primer went off but the powder did not ignite. I have had this issue once before will siteing in the gun but it went off on the second primer?? Is anyone else had this issue? Kinda making me doubt it a little!!!

So one other thing I would mention... I assume your BH plug was built by CVA, but you might take a look at this Breech Plug. It is built some what different than the CVA plug in that the flash channel is a little larger and allows better ignition. You might not even need to use Mag primers to excellent and consistent ignition. It also come with a removable flash hole (vent liner) which you can replace as needed instead of maybe needing to to replace the whole plug.

https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/all-products?product_id=308

Make sure that you pack the Black Horn as tight as you can.
That happened to me last year. Optima V2 went off, but didn't sound right. Doe I was shooting at jumped, then walked over to the fence and was gone. No sign of a hit, nothing.
After cleaning an reload I leaned on the range rod. The next doe wasn't as lucky.

two of the things that commonly cause this problem are oil in the vent hole which needs to be burn out by firing 3 or 4 209 before loading or by not cleaning the carbon that builds up in the breach plug between the 209 seat and the vent hole.

There is almost always something else to the story than, "I used the BH209 plug with mag primers and it FTF". A flash channel that someone swears they cleaned with just solvents ranks up that list pretty high. Too much carbon and/or carbon wet from a cleaning solvent is nothing but a heat sink.

Taking a 1/8" bit (if you got a CVA) only takes a few seconds to do it right. Aim the barrel down at the ground and pop a couple primers. If if blows whatever is on the grass or dirt...well there is a good chance you got it clean with a bit and any light amount of solvent/oil is gone.

Ive had a couple ftf's in my Accura. Every time it was my own fault. Its always been when i didnt fire a primer. I assumed it was clear and dry when I should know better. Pulling the breech plug has showed me what a tiny bit of solvent or oil can do to a charge of Blackhorn.

So the. I guy before my son shot a buck with it. It went off just fine. Loaded it back and now this. It could have had carbon in it? Only had shot it once? Maybe the powder was not packed enough??

So one other thing I would mention... I assume your BH plug was built by CVA, but you might take a look at this Breech Plug. It is built some what different than the CVA plug in that the flash channel is a little larger and allows better ignition. You might not even need to use Mag primers to excellent and consistent ignition. It also come with a removable flash hole (vent liner) which you can replace as needed instead of maybe needing to to replace the whole plug.

https://sskfirearms.lehighdefense.com/all-products?product_id=308

I bought the black horn plug from black horn. Not sure how it compares to the cva plug??

I bought the black horn plug from black horn. Not sure how it compares to the cva plug??

I think but do not know for sure - that plug is built differently than the CVA plug and has had good reviews! Others will know if the "flash channel" has been drilled to a greater diameter than the CVA.

As mentioned had you popped a a couple of primers before loading?

I myself can not honestly say if the there is a significant difference making the Lehigh plug possibly better than the Western BH plug. Hopefully someone here could/will have some answers.

I think but do not know for sure - that plug is built differently than the CVA plug and has had good reviews! Others will know if the "flash channel" has been drilled to a greater diameter than the CVA.

As mentioned had you popped a a couple of primers before loading?

please see the link in posts 13. Looks smaller than the one you posted.

I did view your link. The opening in the nose of the BP is definitely smaller than the Lehigh but the diameter of the Lehigh is dictated by the size of the vent liner that is installed.

The bigger difference may be in the the diameter of the 'flash channel'

This drawing may give you a better thought in what I am calling the 'flash channel'

BP-Drawing-Labeled.jpg

This drawing illustrates how we clean out the flash channel.

bp_diagram.jpg

I think a normal CVA plug has a 3mm channel, really pretty tight especially for the gas emitted from a Mag primer.

Doesn't the Lehigh have a vent liner. That would make a big difference in ignition since the liners have a larger diameter flash hole. I can get 30 shots at the range with my plugs converted to use the liners from Badger Ridge without reaming the flash channel if I want to shoot the gun that much. When the gun is prepped for hunting I make darned sure that the flash channel has been reamed with the drill bit and I always dry fire three or four primers in the gun's barrel after running an alcohol patch thru it to remove storage oil prior to loading for a hunt. In the course of a season I may shoot 6 or 8 times and do not clean until the season ends.

After having a couple questionable fires in both the Accura v2 and the Optima v2 pistol using the "209" plugs, one from Western and the other a CVA, I converted plugs to use the liners and have not had one single mis- or hang fire since. The biggest favor anyone who shoots bh209 can do for himself is find a drill bit the size needed for whatever plug he has and clean that flash channel after every 12-15 shots. Another other favor is to buy a conversion plug using liners or convert the plug himself....its really not hard to do.

I did view your link. The opening in the nose of the BP is definitely smaller than the Lehigh but the diameter of the Lehigh is dictated by the size of the vent liner that is installed.

The bigger difference may be in the the diameter of the 'flash channel'

This drawing may give you a better thought in what I am calling the 'flash channel'

BP-Drawing-Labeled.jpg

This drawing illustrates how we clean out the flash channel.

bp_diagram.jpg

I think a normal CVA plug has a 3mm channel, really pretty tight especially for the gas emitted from a Mag primer.

well I took the gun apart and cleaned it.Muzzleloader ended today here. I could see a small about of light coming thru the breach plug. So I cleaned it real good and then went and got a small drill bit. Man that thing was full of carbon. I believe this was the issue. Twice as much light comes thru the hole now when you hold it up to the light!!

well I took the gun apart and cleaned it.Muzzleloader ended today here. I could see a small about of light coming thru the breach plug. So I cleaned it real good and then went and got a small drill bit. Man that thing was full of carbon. I believe this was the issue. Twice as much light comes thru the hole now when you hold it up to the light!!

Long Range, it sounds like you are well on your way to solving the problem. If things work out for you between now and the next hunting season maybe give the Lehigh plug a try.

Also with the Lehigh plug you might find you really do not need to use Mag primers which tend rush wear tear on you BP.

I really wish I knew the diameter of the 'flash channel' in the Lehigh - I might try to send them an email and ask?

Latest posts

Back