Blackhorn Frustration

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Below is a direct cut and paste from the Paramount owners manual. All CVA is saying is that going below 140 gr. V may compromise performance. And from reading the entire paragraph that is what THEIR TESTING showed. And these are recommended loads. Going lower will not void a warranty nor will it have any effect from a safety standpoint.
My suggestion is to reduce the powder charge to 100 gr V and see how the rifle performs. You won't hurt anything with your rifle and it will be easier on your shoulder and just may produce better accuracy in your rifle.

Regarding the specic 140 by-volume (98 grains by-weight) or 150 by-volume
(105 grains by-weight recommend charges of Blackhorn™ 209, testing showed
these loads would provide the best combination of accuracy, trajectory and
manageable recoil. 140 grains by volume will achieve the required 2250
FPS muzzle velocity. Increasing the powder charge to 150 grains by-volume
will increase the velocity and atten the trajectory slightly, but at the cost of
increased recoil. We do not recommend charges less than 140 grains by-volume
or more than 150 grains by volume, as overall performance will be compromised
with such loads.

ONE time I had the jag stuck to a bullet in a wolf. It actually pulled the bullet all the way back to the muzzle. I was showing someone how to shoot their new gun.

I couldn't believe it. Pretty unsettling to think that the jag could unseat the bullet when backing out.

I have a new jag because the old one broke and I may stuff some cotton in the opening. Thanks.
I had that happen a few weeks ago with a Federal BOR Lock. Fortunately the bullet came right out with the loading tip on my ramrod. I'm going to have to modify it to prevent that from happening again. Especially in the field in the heat of the moment.
I'm glad you reminded me of this. I just sent an email to Federal asking what loading tip they recommend. (Maybe they'll send me one!)

Last edited:
I had that happen a few weeks ago with a Federal BOR Lock. Fortunately the bullet came right out with the loading tip on my ramrod. I'm going to have to modify it to prevent that from happening again. Especially in the field in the heat of the moment.
I'm glad you reminded me of this. I just sent an email to Federal asking what loading tip they recommend. (Maybe they'll send me one!)
I have a Paramount 40 cal. When using the collapsible rod, the hole in the end would stick to the Powerbelt bullet and pull it back up to the muzzle. When I realized what was happening, I stuffed the hole full of cotton. That definitely stopped the hole in the rod from sticking to the bullet, but that situation could have been bad. Bulge or pipe bomb bad. I emailed CVA, of course they never wrote back. Not the first time that’s happened. Also I started out with 140 gr BH 209. I knew from the start, that was to much powder for deep woods hunting, but would be fine for the long across the field shot, but I still wanted to experience it, so I shot a few with 140gr, then finished sighting in with 80gr. The Paramount 40 cal is very accurate with 80gr, but I have not yet practiced any long range shots. If any of you have done some long range shooting with the Paramount 40, please write and let me know how it worked out.

I'm having full ignition issues with my 45cal CVA Paramount and was hoping to get some advice. I'm almost 80 percent sure it has to do with the Blackhorn powder or my measuring abilities. This issue has been persistent since this first shot out of the box. I'm on my 10th shot with the new rifle. I'm measuring out 105gr of Blackhorn by weight to equal a 150gr volume charge (per the owners manual) on a Hornady G3-1500 scale. I'm using the factory included 285gr Powerbelt ELR bullets and CCI Large Rifle #200 primers. When I pour my powder into a Magnum charge tube, the powder sits about even with the 120 volume line. The rifle shoots consistent, holding my same zero after every outing, but SUPER dirty after 1 single shot. The breech plug is charcoal black with crusty build up that I have to scrape off with a pick and barely can scrub off the rest with solvent. The barrel is the same charcoal black coated. For sure not measuring up to the no swab hype in between shots. When I shot 777, it burned much cleaner in other rifles I have compared to Blackhorn. I do use the Blackhorn branded cleaning solvent to clean the rifle. I so far have tried: new different lot number of primers, different new container of Blackhorn, raised and lowered the amount of powder charge, changed the tightness I put on the breechplug, fired with and without oiling the barrel after cleaning, marked my ramrod for consistent loading, and changed the conditions I was shooting in (cold, hot, humid). It has shot the exact same every time. Any advice? What am I doing wrong!? I'm about to lose my cool and go back to using 777.....
I had the same problem with my CVA Accura and BH. I wrote about it here and only made enemies when I concluded that the BH itself was the problem. I wish I could say nice things about BH, but I'm afraid I'll be struck by lightning. I tried going back to my clean, non-stinking 777, but guess what, I couldn't find any to buy. Good Luck partner.

I have a Paramount 40 cal. When using the collapsible rod, the hole in the end would stick to the Powerbelt bullet and pull it back up to the muzzle. When I realized what was happening, I stuffed the hole full of cotton. That definitely stopped the hole in the rod from sticking to the bullet, but that situation could have been bad. Bulge or pipe bomb bad. I emailed CVA, of course they never wrote back. Not the first time that’s happened. Also I started out with 140 gr BH 209. I knew from the start, that was to much powder for deep woods hunting, but would be fine for the long across the field shot, but I still wanted to experience it, so I shot a few with 140gr, then finished sighting in with 80gr. The Paramount 40 cal is very accurate with 80gr, but I have not yet practiced any long range shots. If any of you have done some long range shooting with the Paramount 40, please write and let me know how it worked out.
1 1/4” groups at 200 yds using elr225 105 g of 209

Back