Blackhorn has went up again.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know what the fascination with BH is. Yes, it's cleaner. People claim better accuracy.
Once you sight-in, you are only shooting once or maybe twice at game in a sitting. Getting dozens of shots without cleaning is of no benefit here. Accuracy? People get just as good with other propellants. It's time to get off the BH addiction. LOL.
The main reason that I like shooting blackhorn is that there isn't as much smoke as the other subs! I can see the reaction of the deer after the shot!

One really good effect I think of Blackhorns is many are taking a second look at smokeless ,,or buying a rifle that's at least smokeless capable, I'm a former 15 to 20 lb a year Blackhorn shooter ,I have enough on my shelf to do all the testing and load work that I'm interested in in, and a little bit of hunting, I never will use Black Horn for my own enjoyment again,,only testing and hunting. One thing I have to say I have four used rifles that I purchased from other people in really good shape with the exception of the area where the crud ring formed in the barrel from shooting Triple 7 and yes I know there's many of you out there shooting Triple 7 and you've taken such good care of your bores and barrels that it's never happened in your gun. I won't buy another rifle that's had triple seven shot in it without me being able to stick a borescope Down and look at that area as a matter of fact I'm just not ever going to buy a rifle again it's had triple seven shot through it,,, if anyone can show me a rifle that was cleaned on a regular basis that is shot nothing but black horn that has any bore issues from the Blackhorn or how the Black Horn was cleaned take some pictures and post I don't think there will be any I don't say any of this to start a 777 -Blackhorn comparison war ,I consider Blackhorn 209 to be the best powder for many reasons for American muzzleloaders, but at the same time I'm fed up with how the product has been managed I'm fed up to the point that I'm not going to use it anymore or as little as possible. It is almost become Bud Light to me

I’m selling off the last of my 40 S&W ammo today, since I don’t own a gun in that caliber anymore. I think I have at least 12 canisters of BH209, and since I’ve gone back to shooting T7 and pyrodex, I may sell it too. I could make someone really happy considering current prices.
Hey, I’d be interested in getting some or all, can you pm me

Some other powder company needs to get on the "smokeless" black powder wagon. A reasonably priced BH209 substitute would absolutely dominate the BP market.

The MSDS sheet says that it's basically smokeless powder with a filler. It can't be THAT hard to reproduce. I bet it's cheaper than manufacturing real black powder as well, being "cut" with whatever inert filler it is.

If I had a way to test chamber pressure, I would definitely be doing some experiments with slow burning shotgun powder and cream of wheat or something similar.

Some other powder company needs to get on the "smokeless" black powder wagon. A reasonably priced BH209 substitute would absolutely dominate the BP market.

The MSDS sheet says that it's basically smokeless powder with a filler. It can't be THAT hard to reproduce. I bet it's cheaper than manufacturing real black powder as well, being "cut" with whatever inert filler it is.

If I had a way to test chamber pressure, I would definitely be doing some experiments with slow burning shotgun powder and cream of wheat or something similar.
I was really hoping that that powder in those Firestick things ( I think its T8?) would have been made avail in loose powder form. That would put the damper on this BH 209 BS we have now.

I was really hoping that that powder in those Firestick things ( I think its T8?) would have been made avail in loose powder form. That would put the damper on this BH 209 BS we have now.
I think it might actually be BH209?
Which is probably part of the reason that less BH209 is available in canisters?

No, I'm

No, I'm sure its not BH209 in the FireSticks. I'm pretty sure its T8, but I'm not 100% positive on that.

If you look at the SDS sheets for BH209 and the Firestick, you will find out the propellant is the same thing.

83% Nitrocellulose

15% Guanidine Nitrate

1% Potassium Perchlorate

1% Ethyl Centralite

The numbers are different on the Firestick because the plastic cartridge is included in percentages. However, the ingredients listed for the propellant are the same as those for BH209. I dissected a Firestick and found out the numbers and the appearance of the propellant add up to BH209 plus a plastic cartridge.

Based on the ingredients, Hodgdon's "Triple 8" is just another name for BH209.

Attachments

• Firestick_SDS_NA_03242020_FINAL.pdf
    314.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Blackhorn-209-SDS.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back