Blackhorn has went up again.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to Cabela’s a few days ago, just to see if they had anything. There was probably 8 or so 8oz BH209 bottles sitting there for $79.99 each.
People are paying $10 per once for a product that is 83% smokeless powder, and they believe smokeless powder cannot be used safely in a muzzleloader.

Why?

Because people have put fast-burning pistol powders in a muzzleloader barrel, even though reloaders know you never put a fast-burning pistol powder in a rifle. Then they destroy the barrel, and say... "Look, we told you smokeless powder in a muzzleloader will blow up the barrel. Do you believe us now?"

This reminds me of the many lies we were told during the "pandemic".

Savage proved smokeless powder can be used safely in a factory muzzleloader many years ago.

People are paying $10 per once for a product that is 83% smokeless powder, and they believe smokeless powder cannot be used safely in a muzzleloader.

Why?

Because people have put fast-burning pistol powders in a muzzleloader barrel, even though reloaders know you never put a fast-burning pistol powder in a rifle. Then they destroy the barrel, and say... "Look, we told you smokeless powder in a muzzleloader will blow up the barrel. Do you believe us now?"

Savage proved smokeless powder can be used safely in a factory muzzleloader many years ago.
A lot of people are paying $10 an ounce for a product because it’s legal to hunt with in their state while actual smokeless isn’t.

Why?

I'm not one of those who are paying that. Be that as it may, I had a CVA Scout 45-70 converted.

A lot of people are paying $10 an ounce for a product because it’s legal to hunt with in their state while actual smokeless isn’t.
If we paint a slow magnum smokeless powder with some black spray paint can we get it approved in those same states? That is about what happened with BH209. The Carbon in it is just a pigment.

I taught Science for 29 years in the public schools of my state. Electricity was one of my favorite topics. I built a Wimshurst Static electricity machine that could make sparks about 4 inches long on a cold, dry day. The students made their own batteries out of Magnesium and Copper and Clorox bleach.

One of my greatest compliments was given to me by one of my students who had been a pain in the rear-end during most of the school year. On the last day of school, he gave me some artwork he had done and wrote on it that I was cooler than liquid Nitrogen. (He had seen me freeze some things in liquid Nitrogen.) I had to forgive the boy after that.

We also did quite a bit of Chemistry in my class. We made rocket fuel by mixing Potassium Nitrate and Sugar. One of my teacher buddies got the recipe from watching Mr. Wizard. I did it as a demonstration for the class. We would take it outside and light it with a propane torch. The metal bean can we put the fuel in would get red hot and often burned a hole through the side of the can.

Those were the good old days when I could address part of the class as "young man" and others in the class as "young lady". I would not last a week these days before I got fired for not being politically correct.

I am going out to my shop to see if I can find my Flux Capacitor...

.Sparks jumping from my hand to the student's hand in the photo below. High Voltage, but low current.

Attachments

• Wimshurst Machine.jpg
    Wimshurst Machine.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I taught Science for 29 years in the public schools of my state. Electricity was one of my favorite topics. I built a Wimshurst Static electricity machine that could make sparks about 4 inches long on a cold, dry day. The students made their own batteries out of Magnesium and Copper and Clorox bleach.

One of my greatest compliments was given to me by one of my students who had been a pain in the rear-end during most of the school year. On the last day of school, he gave me some artwork he had done and wrote on it that I was cooler than liquid Nitrogen. (He had seen me freeze some things in liquid Nitrogen.) I had to forgive the boy after that.

We also did quite a bit of Chemistry in my class. We made rocket fuel by mixing Potassium Nitrate and Sugar. One of my teacher buddies got the recipe from watching Mr. Wizard. I did it as a demonstration for the class. We would take it outside and light it with a propane torch. The metal bean can we put the fuel in would get red hot and often burned a hole through the side of the can.

Those were the good old days when I could address part of the class as "young man" and others in the class as "young lady". I would not last a week these days before I got fired for not being politically correct.

I am going out to my shop to see if I can find my Flux Capacitor...

.Sparks jumping from my hand to the student's hand in the photo below. High Voltage, but low current.
Now that's pretty cool.

So with blackhorn through the roof, where would a fella look to buy a case of real black? My cousins are looking to buy a few years worth and not worry about blackhorn any more.
I’ve killed about 30 animals with real black in the past few years, but IME, it’s not a great BH209 replacement. Why not shoot 777?

Nobody has ever killed an animal with either BH209, T7 or real black! It’s the bullet that goes down range and does the killing. I think sometimes we forget that. Does not matter what you choose to push the bullet with. I agree though IMG_2481.jpegthat some are better or more efficient or more accurate than others!
Whatever floats your boat I say!

Nobody has ever killed an animal with either BH209, T7 or real black! It’s the bullet that goes down range and does the killing. I think sometimes we forget that. Does not matter what you choose to push the bullet with. I agree though View attachment 36472that some are better or more efficient or more accurate than others!
Whatever floats your boat I say!
Yes, and…

B9D12C79-1CE2-49F6-B582-FD5537A74F69.jpeg

With the slow Drum beating on the BH209 being 83% n mostly smokeless. The thing to remember is there are millions of Blk. powder rifles out there with barrels that are not up to grade. People will still say hold my beer n watch this !

You could put 85 grains of the correct smokeless powder in any of those rifles and it would work safely, if you could get enough ignition pressure to make it burn correctly.

You could put 85 grains of a fast-burning pistol powder in any of those rifles and they would all explode, if you could get enough ignition pressure to make the powder burn.

You would not use FFF Black Powder in a cannon, and you would not use F Black Powder in a 45 caliber muzzleloading pistol.

Many people have been electrocuted, but most of us use electricity in our homes every day.

A local man was killed after he poured gasoline on a pile of brush and set it on fire, but most of us use gasoline powered automobiles.

If you put too much BH209 in a muzzleloader, it can generate enough pressure to destroy the barrel. How do we know that? Look at the data below on using BH209 in cartridges and you will get an idea about the pressures it can generate.

https://blackhorn209.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/b209blackpowdercartridgedata.pdf

You could put 85 grains of the correct smokeless powder in any of those rifles and it would work safely, if you could get enough ignition pressure to make it burn correctly.

You could put 85 grains of a fast-burning pistol powder in any of those rifles and they would all explode, if you could get enough ignition pressure to make the powder burn.

You would not use FFF Black Powder in a cannon, and you would not use F Black Powder in a 45 caliber muzzleloading pistol.

Many people have been electrocuted, but most of us use electricity in our homes every day.

A local man was killed after he poured gasoline on a pile of brush and set it on fire, but most of us use gasoline powered automobiles.

If you put too much BH209 in a muzzleloader, it can generate enough pressure to destroy the barrel. How do we know that? Look at the data below on using BH209 in cartridges and you will get an idea about the pressures it can generate.

https://blackhorn209.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/b209blackpowdercartridgedata.pdf
I seriously doubt you can do that with all the old black powder rifles iron n steel barrels. Geez even most of these modern barrles being the cheesy 12L14 lead mix. Just will not hold up to the 15,000 psi n plus look at all those people whom be ignorant. We are going to agree to disagree on this smokeless powder you are pushing for blk. powder rifles.

I am going to put you on ignore as your safety concerns for people are not right in my opinion !

Back