Blackhorn has went up again.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really do lie BH for its conveniency. but... for the shooting that I do, basically hunting, T7 will and does work just fine. Yes it does take a little bit more care but the price difference is well worth it.

I am old - really old - so I do not remember things as well as I use to, but it seems to me that a powder of very similar construction used to be available from IMR (now Hodgkins) for a lot less money. If I remember correctly it was used by black powder cartridges.

Was that Trail Boss that you were thinking of? Hodgdon still makes it. It was for cartridge guns not muzzle loaders. You basically fill the cartridge case with it but do not compress it leave room for the bullet. It is a fluffy like propellant. Because you can’t compress it then you can’t use it in a muzzle loader. You have no feel for where the propellant is.

Was that Trail Boss that you were thinking of? Hodgdon still makes it. It was for cartridge guns not muzzle loaders. You basically fill the cartridge case with it but do not compress it leave room for the bullet. It is a fluffy like propellant. Because you can’t compress it then you can’t use it in a muzzle loader. You have no feel for where the propellant is.
Trail boss is a smokeless powder never ever use any smokeless powder in a muzzleloader

Who knows what Hornady is about. My opinion its money n lots of it. Movie Josey Wales Fletcher said to the politic don't pizz down my back n tell me its raining ! They used to make it for $29 per 10 oz. Only thing that has went up is shipping & a bit of inflation. Not no extra $60, just a rip off. I can shoot lots of $20 a can powder to kill my game with.
Sir it is Hodgdon not Hornady

Remember about a year ago when eggs went up to almost $4+ a dozen? People stopped buying them and now they're back down to a reasonable $1.50 or so a dozen.
Maybe its time all the BH209 users stopped buying it for a while and use something else. Maybe they'll take the hint and quit gouging their consumers.
Sure would be great if you're right. 👍

Can someone please educate me on the advantages of using black horn vs the other propellants? I am really not trying to be sarcastic I just never understood why it was so popular.

I remember when I bought my first muzzle loader and people suggested it but at the time it would need a special breech plug and that was enough for me to say no I don’t think so.

A friend told me it might be because you can leave it in the bore for a while and clean later. Say if you’re traveling on a hunt. Is that why?

Can someone please educate me on the advantages of using black horn vs the other propellants? I am really not trying to be sarcastic I just never understood why it was so popular.

I remember when I bought my first muzzle loader and people suggested it but at the time it would need a special breech plug and that was enough for me to say no I don’t think so.

A friend told me it might be because you can leave it in the bore for a while and clean later. Say if you’re traveling on a hunt. Is that why?
For me it is more of the properties it shares with smokeless powder
I don't have to stop my load development to clean the bore so I can make the next shot or fire the complete string of the charge I am attempting to use
as to velocity gains that really does not interest me however if I get it all the better
Accuracy is what I strive for and I know once I find a load I know for a fact it will shoot the same as the previous one not dependent on the condition of the bore at the time of the test
some for me but the price is a huge detraction so I won't be buying anymore at these insane prices

Back