Blackhorn has went up again.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone please educate me on the advantages of using black horn vs the other propellants? I am really not trying to be sarcastic I just never understood why it was so popular.

I remember when I bought my first muzzle loader and people suggested it but at the time it would need a special breech plug and that was enough for me to say no I don’t think so.

A friend told me it might be because you can leave it in the bore for a while and clean later. Say if you’re traveling on a hunt. Is that why?
The big so called advantage of BH209 is not having to swab between shots. Although I've tried it several times I found that it leaves just as much fouling as any other propellant. Now some say that this fouling is softer and allows for reloading without swabbing. Could be but I like shooting on a clean barrel to simulate hunting conditions. Another point is that it cleans up easier with standard nitro powder solvents. Still to me not a big deal. My guns clean up easily with either soap and water or Baristol and water.
One thing I've noticed is that with equal volumes BH209 recoils noticeably more. And when you approach 100+ grains this difference if really noticeable. I've found that I can usually get equal or better accuracy using another propellant.
I really need to run equal charges of BH209 and other propellants through a chrony and see what the velocity differences are. Personally I don't trust published data from manufacturers because I'm pretty sure they inflate the results for better sales.

Somewhere between free and $1,000 a pound everyone has a limit as to what they’re willing to pay for the convenience of BH209. Make your own choice have fun. Buy it, don’t buy it, whining on the internet doesn’t change the price.
You're right, its whatever ppl are willing to pay for it, or anything else really. But lets be realistic here, there are numerous contributing factors that have facilitated what we are seeing with BH209 & its availability & its friggin insane cost rise that CAN BE stopped & changed. No, bitchin about it on the internet does the same thing that praying does - in the real world - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! But if we got everyone that uses it to understand that if we, as consumers stop tolerating their rampant greed & manipulation by banning together & boycotting it completely until the muzzleloader manufacturers can't sell their BH209, inlines & they get on Hodgdon until they are begging us to buy it again & they are forced to drop the price waaay back down to whats fair & reasonable. It would screw all the scalpers on GB too so they would lose their hind parts which is exactly what they deserve.
I know, its a great Idea, but again, in the " real world " it will never happen bc ppl simply won't ban together & completely stop buying it at whatever cost climbs to. Those ppl are the ones that are helping things stay as they are, or get worse. Its hard to watch & feel powerless to change knowing what I know.

I like bh209 for its lack of a big smoke cloud, light enough fouling that i can get multiple shots quickly, and easy cleanup, it shoots any bullets well(saboted or bore rider).
I dont like the high price and lack of availability, also don’t like that it’s hard to ignite so not ideal for side locks, and not recommended in slam fires. I love shooting a bunch of different MLs. I can shoot bh209 in my Renegade but only with a 209 adapter, im told that its not safe in my MK85 or my S91. I would buy and shoot lots of real black but couldnt find it to save a life.
If there was a smokeless powder that was easy to ignite(#11s) and safe in a slam fire rifle, and easier to find then Pyrodex or T7, that would be awesome. Til then my MK85 and S91 will sit, which makes me more than a little annoyed.

Thank you guys, that is exactly what I thinking about. And now that you mention Trail Boss was the name. And agree it is not meant for muzzleloaders as we know them.
VihtaVouri also made a “BP equivalent” smokeless powder, N32C also called Tin Star. Ive never been able to put my hands on Trail Boss or Tin Star. I want to load up some in 45LC.

We all will have to do as each wants n can afford. I have never spent a copper cent on BH209. I never will, i have several traditional style ML's i love to shoot with holy black. I have enough smokeless to last the rest of my life for my sml. My last post on this subject as i don't use it. Unlike some of the members here i can hunt during ML season in my State using smokeless. I also don't own a CF rifle, i hunt during Firearms/Gun season with my ML's no handicap to me.

Last edited:
I myself bought 7 jugs of pyrodex because it was cheap about 22 bucks. I have a pound of goex from 3 years ago. Stuff was hard to come by then can’t imagine now. I don’t like paying hazmat.

I have used pyrodex a few times and saw good accuracy and repeatability. I don’t shoot the muzzle loaders often enough but when I do I carry the gear to swab between shots. I don’t mind the smell and smoke of any of them really. It is what I miss about shooting bp.. that big ol smoke cloud that has to clear before I check the target.

I also clean the muzzle loader after I get home at the very least I run warm water down it to dissolve the salts then it’s cleaned thoroughly a few hours after that.

This is just me doing my thing the way I do it. I’m cheap and as stated above I didn’t even want to spend the money on a special breach plug.

I can see that it is extremely popular that must be why they are asking high dollar for the stuff.

That said the price is just wrong I feel bad for the guys who like the stuff I feel like your being taken advantage of. My best advice is boycott them until they come to their senses. I mean it may not be what your used to but there are other options. I know it’s kinda like changing your brand of cigarettes. Lol remember normal is just a definition of what your used to. If you get used to the other products well that will be your new normal. Unless you want that new normal to be paying through the nose for bh.

The BH loads I use in my Accura V2 and Optima pistol are mirrored by T7 FFFg. Both loads with both powders shoot identically out to roughly 150 yards in the Accura and to 100 yards in the pistol. I take each of these guns to the club every time I shoot and run 10 T7 loads thru each just to stay in tune with the guns. Just prior to season opener I shoot each of these 1 time with BH just to verify that things are still as they ought to be, clean the guns and plugs and have them ready to load the night before. I foul each barrel with three primers the load with BH. I can take 3 deer in my zone, but take two unless they are running small. One shot, one deer, from each of those guns. That's a total of 280 weighed grains of BH for the season, the year. I have about 5 pounds of BH. How long will it last shooting 280 weighed grains, roughly 400 grains by volumn?

Nobody has to stop using the stuff. Limit how much you shoot at targets and keep the bulk for hunting. Fine a charge of loose T7 in either FFg or FFFG that performs identically with your hunting bullets/sabots and shoot away at the range. Yes, you'll have to play the crud ring game but that will let your barrel cool a bit. Reserve that BH for hunting where you need the reassurance of dependability when its damp to wet with a n almost non-existent smoke plume and a somewhat higher velocity. T7 has been around for decades with a marvelous track record for velocities and accuracy and while BH offers more yet, shoot the more affordable T7 when BH's benefits are not an absolute need. Doing this might save your stomach from indigestion every time this topic comes up.

I have always wanted to try blackhorn but Ive never been able to justify the price. Its crazy expensive!

Some great ideas above fellas! Conserve the good stuff for hunting. I am a poor goat farmer with 32 children so I call GOEX my "good stuff". I only bring it out when I need a true BP fix. Nothing like the smell of real black and the smoke cloud that ensues.

Only time i shoot bh. I shoot to make sure the rifle is still on. And the next shot will be at a animal. No Practice shooting. I will watch when all the muzzleloader supplies. Goes on go sale after season goes out. For blackhorn on sale. If there is any left.

Back