Blackpowder safety question...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doegirl

Reaction score
I got a hold of some GOEX blackpowder for my new gun. My question is this: My powder flask and measurer are the T/C "lexan" clear plastic type. Are those suitable to use with real bp? I'm thinking about the possibility of static electricity buildup. Should I get a brass measurer and flask or will I be alright with what I have?

t/c has marketed those clear view flasks and powder measures for some time now, and i dont think they have ever classified them as being for BP substitutes only. i dont think you have anything to worry about.

i have only seen one cookoff with a blackpowder rifle, and it was during a rapid-fire shooting event in 90+ degrees weather. as long as you take your time when loading, and dont smoke while you're shooting :D , you'll be fine. it is true, though, that blackpowder is noticeably easier to ignite than the subs. you probably know this already, but dont load directly from a flask.

also, if you so choose, you can swab between shots, and this will get rid of any lingering sparks in the barrel.

wunder whar cayuga is? he usually has some wisdome to empart 8)

oh, ah wusnt doubting yer statement, chief. 8) specially not when u were agreeing wit my assessment :D ah caint believe u shot all of dat lightning into dat blackpowder . . . u could have been kilt!!! :shock: :D

Your powder measure, measures powders by volume. So while there is some difference in volumes between different brands or makers of measures, some as much as 10 grains, use the same measure over and over on your rifle, and set your rifle load to that measure.

Your black powder and pyrodex measure about the same volume for volume. Powders like Black Mag 3 and Triple Se7en are of course another story and you must change your loading of the rifle accordingly.

Latest posts

Back