Boycott/ Limit purchase of BH 209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're not my wife, supervisor nor Hillsdale College Economics Prof.
I won't use anything else than BH 209. Almost any and all BP subs have almost caused the Law of Gravity to be repealed. Why?
Because they SUCK compared to BH 209 or BP. I didn't cause the short supply but I am part of the demand. You eat tofu and I'll
purchase red meat as I can along with more chicken & pork than usual. May the trans humans that caused this and all other shortages
be dealt with by Saint Francis and Saint Rafał Gan-Ganowicz. If not... may they go by the piles in a locked room with only a hardwood chair
and 100 cats swatting at their roids from under their PJ pants cuffs. All while I am on the farm shooting at 100 - 600 yards with my T/Cs and
BH 209. [paulharveyvoice]Good Day.[/paulharveyvoice]

T7 shoots great in my Triumph. 1-2” groups at 100 yards is plenty accurate for me. You guys can keep your BH209. It sounds like you either do not know how to clean your rifles, or are to lazy.

anyone know what is different in the chemical makeup between 777 powder and bh209 ? is there something special in BH to justify it's co$t ..... besides shooting cleaner ?

Last edited:
I've shot BH209 for at least 7-8yrs, and not once have I ever been lucky enough to get it for under $40 a jug (10oz) where I live - most often closer to $50. I agree, it sucks. But its a great powder and I'll continue to shoot it. Luckily, I have about 4-5 jugs right now, and since I don't shoot as much in the last few years, I'm probably set for a while.
I will also continue to shoot other subs as well. I agree, I think they are gouging, but if I want it I have to pay. Shrinkflation pisses me off, I hate that crap. That's when you know they are gouging.

I hope it comes back down, along with eggs... but it is what it is.

anyone know what is different in the chemical makeup between 777 powder and bh209 ? is there something special in BH to justify it's co$t ..... besides shooting cleaner ?
T7 is a sugar/carbon base with no sulphur, not sure what BH209 is made from but would like to know.

Seems that modern technology should be able to make a nice smokeless that has the same burn rate as black powder so we don't over pressure our barrels.

Diamond dust, gold flakes and ground narwhal tusk.
Actually I think you can find the MSDS on it and it tells you what’s in it.

I had the occasion to chat with a shop owner yesterday that is sitting on a bunch of BH209 right now and it's not selling at his current $80+ for an 8 ounce container. T7 is still selling strong for him but the container is a pound in spite of about a $5 increase. Of course its off-season now, but he thinks people should still be shooting. He's just really miffed that he invested in a relatively large order of the stuff thinking people would be all over it, but now if the competitive wholesale and retail prices on it drops he'll have to sell at a loss just to clear his inventory.

The same shop is heavy on Cheddite primers right no but he'll not have any problem selling those. $6.50/tray of 100. $60.00/block of 1000. $300.00, sleeve of 5000. I bought 6 trays yesterday, but really didn't need them.

Is there a shortage of product at the factory?
Could this be why they went to half pound jugs? And what do they sell it for to distributors?

Found it the other day at bass pro in Springfield MO I have 4 jugs, it was 79.95, so I passed on it ,when it was on sale I would buy it, have bottles in here that have the stickers on them 39.95 which I thought was high then, we have other options, and some people that attend our gun club have stop shooting all together, the wife and I when shooting sporting clays will spend 150 bucks easy on a morning shoot, I can see where working people would find this hard to take, especially with the inflation so high and cost going up across the board, We may loose shooters and there KIDS the future of our sport, once they go to something else they may never come back, I will always shoot but others maybe not so lucky, In other countries only the wealthy have firearms if we don't watch it we be heading in that same direction.

Is there a shortage of product at the factory?
Could this be why they went to half pound jugs? And what do they sell it for to distributors?
There is a shortage, either real or contrived and that’s what they claim the reason was to go to 8oz bottles.
Hodgdon doesn’t make it, someone else does so Hodgdon buys it from them and then sells it to distributors who then sell it to retailers who then sell it to folks who can afford to use dollar bills for cleaning patches.
In other words, there are a lot of people marking it up before it gets to you.

I certainly appreciate your thoughts on this issue. However I don't think prices will ever go down. The huge price increase easily makes up for customers who walk away because of the increase. They also profit from less production costs. As I said before this is what monopolies do. Imho the high prices are here to stay. We'd better get use to it.

I had the occasion to chat with a shop owner yesterday that is sitting on a bunch of BH209 right now and it's not selling at his current $80+ for an 8 ounce container. T7 is still selling strong for him but the container is a pound in spite of about a $5 increase. Of course its off-season now, but he thinks people should still be shooting. He's just really miffed that he invested in a relatively large order of the stuff thinking people would be all over it, but now if the competitive wholesale and retail prices on it drops he'll have to sell at a loss just to clear his inventory.

The same shop is heavy on Cheddite primers right no but he'll not have any problem selling those. $6.50/tray of 100. $60.00/block of 1000. $300.00, sleeve of 5000. I bought 6 trays yesterday, but really didn't need them.
Does Hodgdon dictate the retail price for Blackhorn? Wonder if the same shop owner would be kind enough to share what he paid for it? Nice of him to advise that he's considering a future sale

Shooters World BP substitute in manufactured by American Pioneer Powder at Whitewater, CO.

i won't be buying any of their precious BH 209: There are too many other BP substitute powders to choose from.

Last fall i scoped and sighted in a rifle for a local shooter/hunter. He brought along a can of BH 209 to sight in the rifle. After several shots the rifle misfired. Had to drill the crud out of the breech plug.

Last edited:
There is a shortage, either real or contrived and that’s what they claim the reason was to go to 8oz bottles.
Hodgdon doesn’t make it, someone else does so Hodgdon buys it from them and then sells it to distributors who then sell it to retailers who then sell it to folks who can afford to use dollar bills for cleaning patches.
In other words, there are a lot of people marking it up before it gets to you.
I believe General Dynamics in Canada is still the manufacturer of BH209. Last I checked they also make a lot of munitions, powder, etc for the military. So, with a war going on, my guess is that is part of the rise in prices.

Does Hodgdon dictate the retail price for Blackhorn? Wonder if the same shop owner would be kind enough to share what he paid for it? Nice of him to advise that he's considering a future sale
You can buy it directly from their website, at about $79.00 for 8 ounces. It's possible that they do dictate a minimum price if their selling it for that much on their own site.

Now that most hunting seasons are over. I find BH 209 pretty available. I found at least 5 different retailers today that have it in stock. Going rate is $70-80/ bottle

My proposal: Buy only if you really need it. If you buy, get only the amount you need in the near future.

It’s the only way we have any hope of getting the price down.

For me: I like it better than any other powder (and I have used them all) but won’t be buying any at these prices. We all have time to retool before next fall’s hunting seasons.

There are other great powders out there that we did just fine with before BH. Keep that in mind
Call me ole-fashioned and set in my ways, or you could just call me cheap, which might be more accurate. I haven’t shot in quite awhile but I’ve always gotten along just fine with good-ole Pyrodex RS & P loose powder in my TC Gray Hawk sidelock. I’ve taken a couple of deer and a good sized south Texas boar hog using them. I had no idea you could get that many German Brats out of one animal! I like true black and have approximately a pound and a half, but I need to swab much more frequently with BP.
I was in Cabela’s recently looking for musket caps, they had no caps period of any kind. I ask the guy behind gun counter about it and he said they haven’t seen any for a longtime. I ask how they were going to sell BP firearms or accessories without caps. Fortunately he shrugged and laughed. Same with several other places, the same story. Finally checked my favorite gun shop/range and my gosh they had two thousand in stock, CCI “Multiple Use” and surprisingly they were only $4.99/100 ea. I bought them all!…..no no I didn’t, but I did buy three tens of them. I don't need more for now and want to leave some for some other brother.
PS, the 777 and BH 209 were crazy expensive, of course the Pyrodex was much higher than I remembered. Hodgdon needs some serious competition!!!

Last edited:
Back