Boycott/ Limit purchase of BH 209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does Hodgdon dictate the retail price for Blackhorn? Wonder if the same shop owner would be kind enough to share what he paid for it? Nice of him to advise that he's considering a future sale
A lot depends on whether the powder comes directly from General Dynamics, Hodgdon or if it comes thru a distributor. If Hodgdon is selling on-site, then I doubt a distributor is involved. Whether Hodgdon sets a benchmark in pricing [establishing a minimum selling price] is yet unknown. I'm assuming that the wholesale cost is high enough that retailers are setting the price high enough to make some money of the actual cost of the powder and also high enough to help off-set any hazmat charges in shipping large quantities to the stores.

mkabe is spot on with his comment on competition. Without competition the market is going to stay put. Hodgdon has no reason to drop prices, so neither will the retailers.

I've never bought an 8 oz. jug, and probably never will. Not at $160 a lb. ($10/oz.). I bought plenty of 10 oz.jugs at around $40 ($4/oz.) when available when the writing was on the wall.
I'll use it for hunting and that's about it. and probably only for the purpose of not having to swab between shots. So when it comes to BH209 Hogden will never get another nickel from me. None of their other powders have risen in price like 209 that I can see and that leads me to believe they are maximizing their profits at our (the black powder community) expense. Let them sit on their inventory for a while and they (and perhaps I) will change their tune.
I began making my own Black (retort is in the fireplace right now adding to my supply of charcoal) and shoot that for most all my fun stuff. Price of the actual self-made powder is around $4.00/lb. (last commercial Black Powder I bought was priced around $20/lb. from Grafs in 2021) if my figures are correct. I probably have $100-$150 invested in the tools to make it not including my home fabricated stainless steel retort.

As long as you don't go boom, eh? I'd spend the 80 before I tried my hand at making my own. Much, much safer.

I have 12 unopened 10oz jugs of BH that I accumulated before supply and pricing got ridiculous. I only use it in one of my rifles, and given the current prices, I’ve thought about liquidating my stash. I‘ll have no problem getting by without it.

None of their other powders have risen in price like 209 that I can see and that leads me to believe they are maximizing their profits at our (the black powder community) expense. Let them sit on their inventory for a while and they (and perhaps I) will change their tune.

Italics and underline added to Caniborrowsomeammo’s quote.

I’ve emailed Hodgdon, basically asking about this very issue. I didn’t expect an answer, and they fulfilled my expectation! 😂

I’ve also emailed twice, asking if/when Trail Boss powder might be available again (if ever?). No response there, either.

My inquiries have been carefully worded, to make sure they come across as polite/non-confrontational.

If they won’t respond, maybe I should just tell them what I’d really like to! 🤬

No… if I did that, they’d probably “alert the authorities!” 🤭

Hodgdon markets a pretty extensive line of powders. I could get by very well for ALL of my reloading and BP-substitute needs, by using only Hodgdon products. Too bad they aren’t responsive to customer inquiries.

Might as well remove the “Email Us” page on their website, if they’re too busy and/or not willing to respond. 🙄

Meanwhile, I’ve been buying “real” black powder from Jon at addictedtoblackpowder.com . Great customer service, fair prices. Puts his cell number right on his website. Buy enough for a few years, and the Haz Mat/shipping fees amortize pretty well! 👍

Lately, I have only been shooting and hunting with either my sidelocks or my smokeless muzzleloader. No need for BH209 at the moment. I have about 2.5 bottles of BH209 left.
Swiss black powder is a little tough to come by lately. H4198 smokeless powder has been impossible for me to find.
Last year I paid $27 for a bottle of Swiss. I recently had to pay $41 for a bottle after waiting 5 months for a shipment to arrive at my favorite black powder shop.
I have not been able to find any H4198 smokeless powder in the last 2 years. I've come across some IMR4198 powder, but will hold out until I find some H powder or run out. Whichever comes first.

Last edited:
Lately, I have only been shooting and hunting with either my sidelocks or my smokeless muzzleloaders. No need for BH209 at the moment. I have about 2.5 bottles of BH209 left.
Swiss black powder is a little tough to come by lately. H4198 smokeless powder has been impossible for me to find.
Last year I paid $27 for a bottle of Swiss. I recently had to pay $41 for a bottle after waiting 5 months for a shipment to arrive at my favorite black powder shop.
I have not been able to find any H4198 smokeless powder in the last 2 years. I've come across some IMR4198 powder, but will hold out until I find some H powder or run out. Whichever comes first.
I wonder would you explain for me the difference between H4198 and IMR4198.

To start, H4198 is almost mythical and doesn't seem to exist anywhere on this planet whereas the IMR4198 is quite commonplace.

The IMR 4198 is allegedly cold sensitive, but some have said it to be shooting ok in temps above zero. I haven't the slightest idea if it is or not, but I have a pound of it to try very soon at temps in the mid 30's and will get back with first hand knowledge. I haven't shot the H4198 either and based on the non-existent availability, probably will not get to shoot it.

BH209 is getting more available now but the pricing and amount by weight has turned a lot, if not the lion's share, of people away from it. Maybe the H4198 will come back and do the same thing?

Not a real big difference from everything I have read in the past. I have read where some say one burns hotter than the other and vice versa. Some say H gives them more velocity and or pressure and others say the same thing about IMR.
My gun shoots great with the H4198. It's the only powder I have ever used in it. I wouldn't change over to IMR unless I absolutely have to.

Now the season has wound down, I'd suggest watching WallyWorld to put it on clearance. Steep price reduction, and I don't think it adds to demand once it was clearanced.
Last purchase was 6, 10 ounce jugs, at $19 and change. Still have 4 unopened.
The closest gun related thing our local wally has is a closeout on bore brush's. They don't even sell bb's anymore.

I posted the following in another category on this forum, but will hopefully get some feedback from our Canadian friends watching this thread...

To our Canadian Muzzleloading Brothers & Sisters: Could you kindly advise the price of BH209 in your area, and the nearest city you shop for it?

anyone know what is different in the chemical makeup between 777 powder and bh209 ? is there something special in BH to justify it's co$t ..... besides shooting cleaner ?
The difference with Blackhorn (BH) is not just less cleaning and corrosiveness.
I wrote about this to a degree a couple of weeks ago on another thread of this Forum. Some years back, when I had heard about using BH 209 for loading my original '86 Winchester .45-90 which was actually made in 1886, a pre-smokeless time plus improving but not best steel barrels yet. I was going to use 5744 powder, a do-it-all smokeless powder that does not require filler in the case for reduced loads, and is rather equivalent in usage to the famous, ever-present Unique powder. I was talking to the head Ballistician at Western Powders (which developed BH) and he said I should use BH for my loading in this old rifle, because it was possible to get pressure spikes with 5744 and that would not happen with BH. So I loaded my cartridges with the recommended amount and the accuracy and reduced fouling results were excellent.
I was very used to using Pyrodex in Hawaii, because no BP was available. Terribly corrosive in very humid Hawaii, and the salt in the air if anywhere even close to surf made this even worse. Moved to Arizona and became familiar with Triple 7 plus very extensively studied BP, especially the famous Curtis and Harvey brand from England's height of BP development in the later 1800s.
The plot thickens: some years ago I also talked to the Head Gunsmith at Western Powders about BH and it turned our he was at the forefront in the 3-year saga of BH's development. Their primary goal was to produce the BP substitute powder that was as close in pressure curve and performance to BP as possible. What I learned was amazing!
Now, for background, contrary to many a current view that BP burns further on down the barrel, or ages, or can detonate in its usual form instead of burning, or that bullets and balls won't obturate (expand in diameter to fill the bore at instant of firing) if of pure lead or fairly soft lead alloys, instead, the following is what happens. (And, respectfully said, if you don't believe it, do your own extensive research, over 10 or 15 years, about these things.
So, instead, BP burns very rapidly, plus ignites at relatively low temperature and thus fires easily even with simplest form of cap/nipple ignition, or flintlock ignition. Pyrodex does not ignite so easily, but better loading procedure to settle the powder in the breech, plus using a Spitfire nipple -- for a caplock such as the T/C Renegade -- will deliver more reliable firing. And the same goes for Triple7. Neither will work in a flintlock.
Meanwhile, the very fast ignition of BP readily produces obturation of ball or bullet, a real boon with muzzleloading where the projectile is usually no larger than bore diameter, but you want it going back up the barrel at groove diameter.
What about breech pressure? As I've said on another thread, turn to Lyman's Black Powder Handbook. And for heavier loads, look at the First and Second Edition of Graeme Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle". BP ML shotguns of common bore will have breech pressure of around 6,000 to 10,000 PSI, and even the enclosed-cartridge firing of heavy loads such as the BP double rifles will produce breech pressure of around 25-26,000 PSI for .450 X 3 1/4" cartridge with about 120 gr. vol.coarser-grained BP and about 290 gr. bullet, whereas the .500 X 3" cartridge using about 360 gr. bullet and 136 gr. vol. BP will have breech pressure of about 24,000 PSI. (Compare that to breech pressures in the 40,000s for the modern smokeless powder loads of these same cartridges, altho they do use heavier bullets at somewhat elevated velocities. BH, as said, is designed to produce breech pressures quite similar to equivalent charges of BP.
Highly important: it's been said that accuracy from sophisticated use of BP cannot be surpassed by modern substitutes, due to its ease of ignition, very rapid ignition, and extremely consistent ignition. "Extreme Spread" (ES) of repeated shots may well be in the single digits, or teens. That combination produces great accuracy if you can keep the bore fairly clean and fouling soft.
So why have I written all this blather?? Because I Iearned that Blackhorn was made to produce very little fouling compared to other substitutes, and especially to duplicate the fast-and-and-soon gone breech pressure that BP produces. I've seen the pressure curve graphs of each, virtually identical. So BH obturates projectiles just like BP does. The rub: BH is a "smokeless powder" insofar as basic chemistry and manufacture, just like the other substitutes, but it is made as a substitute with more "oomph", comparable more or less to the "more oomph" BPs named Swiss and Olde Eynesford , or "more oomph" like Triple 7 as compared to Pyrodex). And BH does require either obturation or a tighter fitting skirted or saboted ML projectile to consistently burn quickly and provide its benefits.
Yes, BH is also somewhat hard to ignite, so does not work in a flintlock or the usual caplock, and requires a rifle-cartridge primer or more often a full-power or magnum-power shotgun 209 primer. (But for caplocks, a musket cap has the same brissance (firing heat) as a 209 primer, so try that. I haven't, yet it should work provided the channel between nipple base and powder is adequate.) But when properly ignited, BH's pressure is moderate and highly consistent shot-to-shot just like BP.
And
its fouling is significantly less, compared to BP the other substitutes, and because the pressure curve does not continue on down the barrel like smokeless powder curves do, the mid to forward portion of the barrel does not need to be as thick as modern barrels -- hence the older antique barrels have adequate barrel thickness there as long as appropriate moderate charges are used. That is a somewhat thorny issue, just like using "more oomph" Swiss or Olde Eynesford or Triple7 powder in an antique ML. (When in doubt, always use use the coarser-grained version.)
Bottom line: BH is the substitute that most closely resembles BP and hence readily obturates muzzle-loaded or catridge-loaded projectiles, and it has the same pressure curve, and the great consistency of BP, with much less fouling.
Ignite it well and it gives amazing accuracy just like BP does, over and over.
All this is why people who have used all sorts of guns, both smokeless and BP type, swear by BH and are quite willing to pay for that.
Aloha, Ka'imiloa

I certainly appreciate your thoughts on this issue. However I don't think prices will ever go down. The huge price increase easily makes up for customers who walk away because of the increase. They also profit from less production costs. As I said before this is what monopolies do. Imho the high prices are here to stay. We'd better get use to it.
While I agree with you I don't think it hurts the consumer by limiting your purchases of these products to no more than absolutely necessary to meet your needs. Reducing demand is our best weapon against this type of price gouging monopoly.

The closest gun related thing our local wally has is a closeout on bore brush's. They don't even sell bb's anymore.
I don't know where you live, so I don't know about the logistics of what I'm about to suggest for you, or anyone else reading this, but I would suggest you draw a larger circle to see what other stores carry near you.
Here in the southern Adirondacks there are 2 Walmart Super Stores within 5 miles of each other. The closest to me carries very little muzzleloading stuff, no primers or powder in their loadout.
The other store, in the same city, but about 5 miles driving distance from the first, carries a wider selection, including primers, T7, and Blackhorn.

Back to the boycott.....

Our two Wallys have zero for anything shooting other than some loaded ammo and cleaning supplies.

WE have a huge Scheels and a Fleet farm here, both have very complete shooting sections. The Scheels has put the BH209 in with the smokeless powder now so one has to check there. The T7, Pyro and pellets are still with the black powder section. Maybe some muzzleloader 209 primers, nothing in the shotshell reloading section, Large and small rifle primers are stocked. The BH is hugely expensive.

The Fleet Farm is miserable for anything black powder except the pre-packaged stuff.... bullet/sabot, muzzleloader primers, cleaning stuff. NO BH209 powder. No shotshell primers. Very limited XTP selection. Pricing is higher than at Scheels.

Nothing new here, but I am finding my needs met at smaller, out of town, privately owned gun shops. While the prices are slightly high on most stuff, at least they have it on hand and seem willing to order with confidence that they can get what you want. Almost without exception, these smaller venues are selling the shotshell primers for about $7.00/tray of 100.... but still way cheaper than the muzzleloading specific primers are selling for at the bigger stores for $15.00/100 or thereabouts. And just about all of these smaller shops have huge selections and availability on just about all smokeless powders save for a few that seem to not exist on this planet.

This from Leigh Clambakes just sums things up real nice.... "I would suggest you draw a larger circle to see what other stores carry near you.
Here in the southern Adirondacks there are 2 Walmart Super Stores within 5 miles of each other. The closest to me carries very little muzzleloading stuff, no primers or powder in their loadout.
The other store, in the same city, but about 5 miles driving distance from the first, carries a wider selection, including primers, T7, and Blackhorn."

Start searching out the smaller, privately owned, independent shops.

Back