Break action accuaracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with David on this. I had 3 Encores, a CVA Accura V2 and 2 CVA Scouts that will shoot MOA or better all day and one Encore that is a tad over.

My optimum accuracy happens when;

1) I weigh my powder (vs volume thrown charges)
2) knurl my bullets ( I guess the sabot grips more consistently)
3) wipe the bore after every shot with windex and alcohol solution
4) use the same repeatable benchrest techniques
5) take my time to do it right.

My break barrels shoot exactly like the drop breech guns ….right at 1 moa …I’m calling that spectacular stellar performance …all the accuracy I’ll ever need.

I think just about any break gun has the potential to get outstanding accuracy but the person pulling the trigger will likely have to go down roads he's too lazy to go down to get it. Today's guns and components have never been of finer quality IF one doesn't fall prey to the brand specific advertising....i.e., CVA/Powerbelts or pellets.

My .45 is a drop action and I have several .50 breaks but shoot only the Accura V2 and Optima V2 pistol in the field. But all of the break actions and the drop action shoot 1" or under at 100 yards consistently. Getting them to that point was not done over-night and in a couple instances were a downright pain, but they got figured out. It takes work and a ton of bench time and there are a lot of people who want no part of that aspect.

My optimum accuracy happens when;

1) I weigh my powder (vs volume thrown charges)
2) knurl my bullets ( I guess the sabot grips more consistently)
3) wipe the bore after every shot with windex and alcohol solution
4) use the same repeatable benchrest techniques
5) take my time to do it right.

My break barrels shoot exactly like the drop breech guns ….right at 1 moa …I’m calling that spectacular stellar performance …all the accuracy I’ll ever need.
You weigh your powder............ a big YES.:woohoo:

Thank you for your responses. My gun is a Handi in 45 converted to smokless muzzleloader. I was gettting severe muzzle jump. I found that shooting off a rest and bag i need the rest high and the gun needs to set closer to the trigger guard. I get moa or better now.

Are you all shooting off bags, a rest or bipods?

MTM Case-Gard RMC-1-30 Cleaning Center on the tailgate of Dodge Ram truck(s).
Used a hatchet to a rear cradle ear so that you can get a half-assed cheek weld.

Years ago, I took J. Hogan {Senior Engineer on the C-5 Modernization Project} up to the farm to shoot his new RRA rifle, having loaned him a Simmons AETEC (Japan).
@ 100 rounds and all of his 3 round groups looked the same. He asked me to shoot his rifle with the last
3 rounds of the day to see what his rifle was capable of with that ammo. Almost as tight as my 5 round
groups from my pieced-together AR with a Stag Arms 24" 410 SS piece of pipe manufactured by Satern.
I now purchase Criterion 410 SS barrels through FA.
I was poking the stick at Mark LaRue years back and he told me I wasn't playing fair by shooting from the
side of a hill.

Attachments

• P1010098.jpg
    P1010098.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010104.jpg
    P1010104.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010103.jpg
    P1010103.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
  • P1010102.jpg
    P1010102.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 0
MTM Case-Gard RMC-1-30 Cleaning Center on the tailgate of Dodge Ram truck(s).
Used a hatchet to a rear cradle ear so that you can get a half-assed cheek weld.

Years ago, I took J. Hogan {Senior Engineer on the C-5 Modernization Project} up to the farm to shoot his new RRA rifle, having loaned him a Simmons AETEC (Japan).
@ 100 rounds and all of his 3 round groups looked the same. He asked me to shoot his rifle with the last
3 rounds of the day to see what his rifle was capable of with that ammo. Almost as tight as my 5 round
groups from my pieced-together AR with a Stag Arms 24" 410 SS piece of pipe manufactured by Satern.
I now purchase Criterion 410 SS barrels through FA.
I was poking the stick at Mark LaRue years back and he told me I wasn't playing fair by shooting from the
side of a hill.
Muzzleloader break action?

Muzzleloader break action?
Roger That, sir. I'll get a pic of them up, pronto from that Ransom Hosting Site PhotoBucket. About half dozen Thompson Center mix of Impact and Impact SBs and one New England Firearms SideKick.

I'm back to looking at plans for a portable & stable, with variable leg adjusment, bench. Then I'll use the new bench and Caldwell Rock BR Competition Rifle Front Shooting Rest that I got free while purchasing the Caldwell Ballistic Precision LR 1 Mile Target Camera System from MidwayUSA, 28MAR17.

But, even three years shy of 70 years, them there Dodge tail gates & MTM Cleaning cradles still let me know about certain talents on loan from God.

Print Invoice
Order Number: 33080XXX
March 28, 2017

In-Stock Order​

1. Product Total$479.97
  2. Shipping Total$27.73
  3. NRA Round-Up$0.29
  4. Promotion Discount$129.99
  5. Tax

$0.00
Total$378.00

Billing Information​

Visa - 7069
DavidAR10T

Shipping Information​

Package 1Shipped:03/28/2017Carrier: UPS GroundTracking #:
Package 2Shipped:03/28/2017Carrier: UPS GroundTracking #:
In-Stock 2 items
Ships To: Place of Employment

Sorry, been busy. Company has been helping General Dynamics [gw'svoice] Nukular Submarine Division [/gw'svoice] on three of their problems.

Last edited:
Anyone employ any technique that has shown to improve groups?

I did nothing to my Scout conversion basically a stock gun. I checked the trigger with a gauge. It was good. After the plug installation and before shooting, I cleaned barrel real good. I shoot off Caldwell bags, front and rear set, on a solid bench. I did switch scopes and base, 3X9 to 3X16. My 2 biggest things are
1) fit
2) trigger

Break action accuracy, mine sucks ! I have learned to accept it. At 25 yards off the table & sand bag it will do ragged one hole groups. By the time it gets to a 100 yards it's palm size. I'm going to try one last time to see if i can get it to shoot. If not i know to keep all my shots 100 or less.

Break action accuracy, mine sucks ! I have learned to accept it. At 25 yards off the table & sand bag it will do ragged one hole groups. By the time it gets to a 100 yards it's palm size. I'm going to try one last time to see if i can get it to shoot. If not i know to keep all my shots 100 or less.
Which break gun are you shooting?

My son shoots 64gr imr4198 275 Pittman has killed deer out to 200yd he has a cva scout I have a pro hunter shoot h4198 62gr with 300 gr Pittman aeromax good for 300 yds

Back