Breech plug question for Idaholewis

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was not aware of the pressure issues with the smaller bore bullet barrels, especially not the way they eat away at the flash hole in the nipple.

I may have to rethink the fast twist Scout Rifle concept, and go back to my original idea which was a .58 caliber × 21" long × 1" octagon × 1-48" twist round ball barrel from Rice, Colerain, or Kelley.

With the bigger hole it would weigh less, and truth be told, I'll in all likelihood keep my shots under 100 yards anyway.

A 277 grain pure lead round ball will kill ANYTHING on the North American continent. All I'll be hunting are deer, black bears, and feral hogs so a long range bullet barrel is kinda a want, not need thing.
Don’t be afraid of the nipple erosion... just buy a couple of the platinum lined nipples and carry on. My .40 was also eating the Ampco nipples with 60-70 grain charges under 300 grain bullets but that’s stopped or slowed way down with the platinums. That 300 grain Lyman bullet will anchor anything walking around here and do it way out there...

Latest posts

Back