Bucket list hunt, whats yours?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have decided to start putting dates on my bucket list hunts. This way I can plan and budget for them and not lose sight.

Sitka blacktail This Nov
Roebuck in Europe with my son 2025
Mountain Lion 2025
Mid asian Ibex in 2026 (If season is open)

Canadian moose BC
Mountain Goat
Caribou
Free range Oryx in NM
Free range Bison
Turkey world slam (I need the Osceola, Goulds, Oscellated)
Australia water buffalo
Argentina water buffalo, red stag
Musk Ox
Brown or Grizzly bear
AK Moose
Shiras Moose
Could you put a $ value on each of those hunts please?
Then I can think what I would do if I had those $ to spend.

A traditional European driven boar hunt ... most likely in Germany, Austria, or the Czech Republic.
There are plenty of outfitters over here that can arrange that one for you as they will have to get you a visitors hunting license issued to be able to bring in your rifle, muzzleloaders are not allowed in Germany for hunting but they do work very well, don't ask.

Could you put a $ value on each of those hunts please?
Then I can think what I would do if I had those $ to spend.
Sitka blacktail This Nov - depends on what part of the state, I will be about $1800 all in (flight, tags, vehicle rental, lodging)
Roebuck in Europe with my son 2025 - This trip has multiple options depending on the destination of the hunt, but you could figure $2500+ per person depending if you want to add other species or additional animals.
Mountain Lion 2025 - Most of these are now $6000+ unless you know someone :)
Mid asian Ibex in 2026 (If season is open) - These hunts go for around $8500-$15K

Canadian moose BC - these hunts go for around $6000- as much as $25000, depending on province.
Mountain Goat - AK and Canada hunts go for $8000-$15000, but I will be doing a DIY trip.
Caribou - This really depends, prices for certain sub species have went through the roof, but a DIY AK hunt you would be looking at $3000-$6000
Free range Oryx in NM - $1610 for the tag when I draw I will do public land or you can do private land for $4000-$6000 plus tag
Free range Bison - Bull tags depend per state, $4500ish is WY tag, though I do have other options that qualify for B&C
Turkey world slam (I need the Osceola, Goulds, Oscellated) Florida birds hutns go for $3000-$3500, the others are about the same price.
Australia water buffalo - $4000-$6000
Argentina water buffalo, red stag - $4000-$6000
Musk Ox - Depends on where, $6000-$15000+
Brown or Grizzly bear - $18000-$30000, I will do a DIY though
AK Moose - average DIY $7000-$12000, guided $20000-$30000
Shiras Moose - Canada $12000-$20000, US DIY tag cost is around $2000 depending on state

I own a hunting consultant company, so I have some connections to do some of these trips cheaper. DIY is always the cheapest option.

Im just a simple meat hunter. Elk and a blue nigal that didnt cost a fortune would be just fine. No idea what King ranch charges now for a nigal hunt but years ago it was about the max i would ever consider paying. Only because i have relatives that live not too far from there.

Sitka blacktail This Nov - depends on what part of the state, I will be about $1800 all in (flight, tags, vehicle rental, lodging)
Roebuck in Europe with my son 2025 - This trip has multiple options depending on the destination of the hunt, but you could figure $2500+ per person depending if you want to add other species or additional animals.
Mountain Lion 2025 - Most of these are now $6000+ unless you know someone :)
Mid asian Ibex in 2026 (If season is open) - These hunts go for around $8500-$15K

Canadian moose BC - these hunts go for around $6000- as much as $25000, depending on province.
Mountain Goat - AK and Canada hunts go for $8000-$15000, but I will be doing a DIY trip.
Caribou - This really depends, prices for certain sub species have went through the roof, but a DIY AK hunt you would be looking at $3000-$6000
Free range Oryx in NM - $1610 for the tag when I draw I will do public land or you can do private land for $4000-$6000 plus tag
Free range Bison - Bull tags depend per state, $4500ish is WY tag, though I do have other options that qualify for B&C
Turkey world slam (I need the Osceola, Goulds, Oscellated) Florida birds hutns go for $3000-$3500, the others are about the same price.
Australia water buffalo - $4000-$6000
Argentina water buffalo, red stag - $4000-$6000
Musk Ox - Depends on where, $6000-$15000+
Brown or Grizzly bear - $18000-$30000, I will do a DIY though
AK Moose - average DIY $7000-$12000, guided $20000-$30000
Shiras Moose - Canada $12000-$20000, US DIY tag cost is around $2000 depending on state

I own a hunting consultant company, so I have some connections to do some of these trips cheaper. DIY is always the cheapest option.
Thanks for taking the time, and the information. Do you live in Alaska?
I thought I read that non residents needed a guide. Again thanks for your time

You are correct, I will be an AK resident when I do those hunts.
That is awesome, I hope it works out for you. I have always thought We would like to live up there and enjoy the fishing and hunting. Will have to see. Finally retired in 2021, then the wife and I both caught covid. We had already had the first and second vaccines. The wife spent 3 weeks in the hospital in the Covid ward, and still has breathing problems. We were very glad we had the vaccines. She was the only patient to get off the ward alive while she was there. None of the deceased had gotten the vaccine.
The best to you and your bucket list.

Im just a simple meat hunter. Elk and a blue nigal that didnt cost a fortune would be just fine. No idea what King ranch charges now for a nigal hunt but years ago it was about the max i would ever consider paying. Only because i have relatives that live not too far from there.

I am a simple meat hunter too so when I heard about how tasty Nilgai were I became very interested.

Did a King Ranch Nilgai hunt just last Jan. The hunt itself was around $2500.

Add $500 for processing. This can vary to as there are numerous options. I had the meat shipped to two different locations. I think just the processing was $325 for 150 lbs of meat. They will quarter the animal at the ranch for you to take in coolers as well. You need a couple of big coolers though and a drive short enough to get them to a freezer.

$1400 I think for the shoulder mount. There were some other options so this price can vary.

we drove from GA so there was some lodging expenses along the way.

This is as much as I would be willing to pay also and that is why I did it. Probably as inexpensive as a hunting trip can get for a big game animal.

D7F42B21-1994-4211-BD11-0735E12740B5.jpeg

Why nalgai when you can hunt bison. A much bigger animal with more meat. I've never tasted nalgai but bison is hard to beat for about the same price or less.
I think if I was going to go on an exotic hunt here in the states it would be for Oryx (either gembok or simitar oryx)

Why nalgai when you can hunt bison. A much bigger animal with more meat. I've never tasted nalgai but bison is hard to beat for about the same price or less.
I think if I was going to go on an exotic hunt here in the states it would be for Oryx (either gembok or simitar oryx)

Good enough points. However, bison was further away for me and oryx and gemsbok cost much more.

I really have no desire for a bison either.

Good enough points. However, bison was further away for me and oryx and gemsbok cost much more.

I really have no desire for a bison either.
I took 2 bison but it was with archery gear. You have to wait for the right shot - broadside and clear of any other animals. It's also a rush after the shot when one of the other ones decide to come at you on a charge. Fortunately some yelling at it and shaking my bow over my head gave him second thoughts and he turned and followed the rest of the herd.

Latest posts

Back