bullet testing

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flounder

Reaction score
I am quite new to muzzleloading and shot a nice doe last Saterday. I
was using a 295 grain hollowpoint copperclad powerbelt with 100 grains of 777 pellets. The deer was roughly 80 yards from me. I must say I am not impressed with the performance of the powerbelt. It seemed to fall apart on imact. Luckily I got a good clean kill on the deer.
I mentioned this to a sales clerk at Cabela's and he said if I had used an aerotipped bullet this wouldn't have happened. I just can't see how that little plastic tip would keep this from happening.
Does anyone know of a good way of testing different projectiles? I was thinking of using a series of hardwood boards spaced a few inches apart.
Any better ideas would be appreciated. Im just wanting to get ready for my next one.
Thanks a lot,
Flounder
________

Welcome Flounder! Yes...wet newspaper has been used and there are several articles here. From the forum index look under Product Reviews. There are two "sticky" articles by NYBoB and I have one also down some on the list. I had thought of trying a piece of plywood in front of the wet newsprint to simulate a bone strike and see how the bullet stays together and performs after hitting this. This is a lot of fun of course but also a lot of work. Hope the articles help. :)

I also use milk jugs ful of water set in a row in the same box, I place news papers in and wet down. I dio like the wet news papers better though.

:D Al

A buddy of mine collects is old phonebooks, and soaks them in water before testing. You need a pretty good stack of them to stop fast moving projectiles, though.

Back