Bullet weight thoughts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
Ive been shooting a 200 gr bullet with acceptable accuracy over 100 gr T7, and experimenting with a 250 or 300 grain bullet in the same rifle but did not achieve tight groups with the same powder charge. Would it be reasonable to assume that the longer, heavier bullets will have to be charged heavier to produce accuracy? Would 5 grain increments be enough or would 10 be better? It cant be much more because the max I can shoot is 120 grain loose T7 ( Knight Disc Elite ). I have had primers disintegrate with the heavier bullets which kind of unnerves me.

If I'm looking for a sabot load...I almost always start with 100gr by volume ffg Triple Se7en. I figure..I want all the velocity I can get so I don't see any need in starting with a lesser load. If 100gr shoots good...I usually go to 110gr and then to 120gr if I desire.

As far as bullets go...here is the list of bullets that shoot best for me in two different Disc Elite .50s: 200gr Shockwave, 245gr Barnes Spitfire, 250gr SST, 250gr .40 QT, and Barnes 250gr Expander. I'd probably try the 250gr SST and 245gr Spitfire.. 100gr ffg would be a great starting point.

I'm not trying to get you fired up or anything...but the first DAY I shot my first Disc Elite .50(04/29/04)...100gr ffg Triple Se7en/250gr SST/MMP short black..four 3-shot groups AVERAGED 1.22 inches @100yds and the 245gr Spitfire three 3-shot groups AVERAGED 1.42 inches @100yds. So that's DEFINITELY the first two 250gr class bullets I'd try...

MQ32shooter said:
Ever had your primers blow their "lid" with your Elite?

Only slightly... Not as much as in the above pictures.

I start blowing primers after the orifice in the breech plug has eroded approximately .005" in diameter in my Knight DISC. This usually happens after 200 rounds or so using Triple Seven loads of 100-110 grains and various 209 primers. Accuracy is degraded significantly once this starts to happen. Installing a new breech plug corrects the problem. I have replace three breech plugs in the last five years.

Back