By design or...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowanna

Stupidity knows no bounds but knows many people!
Supporting member
Reaction score
I'm still shooting my 20 year old CVA Optima pro Magnum.
Recently I've changed to Power belt aerolite bullets with Triple 7 magnum pellets. My question is when I seat the round on the charge I notice a "click" which is the bullet seating into the belt on the bullet. Am I loading this charge to tightly or is this by design?

Does the ramrod move any when you notice the click? Your probably hearing the pellets crack!
When loading, the bullet should only be snug against the triple seven powder.
Loose powder can be compressed further than pellet powder.

Yes, it moves. I'm not applying enough pressure to crush the pellets, just enough to seat it, but the click(not really a click, more like a button snapping together) just makes me wonder. So if that's the case I'm not doing anything wrong, the belt on the bullet is just going on to the pellet.

Accuracy is excellent, 1.5"@100yds. Just checking to be sure I'm not about to get a face full of my rifle. I read the thread about double loading and saw the result I didn't want a gap between charge and bullet ruin my day!
Thank toytruck

The pellets are going to be looser than the sabot and can slip to one side of the bottom of the barrel slightly. I think what you hear/feel is the bottom of the bullet shifting the top pellet to the center of the bore slightly. You'd have to bear down pretty good to crumble a pellet unless they're already compromised in some way. I'd just do what you're doing and go shoot some game.

Thanx Tom, just a little to cautious maybe. And yes, shooting game is the next thing on the agenda.

I agree. With those results on a target don't change a thing. If something's not broken then don't try to fix it. I call that super accurate for 100 yards.

Back