Cabelas carries the Savage 10 Muzzleloader ML BP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doohan

Reaction score
Is this just a re-branded 10ML-II or a new gun all together?

Says it has a 26" barrel but the standard 10ML-II has a 24" Also has an added recoil pad.. ... twist is the same.

p065969hz02.jpg

Savage 10 Muzzleloader ML BP

Crafted with the same meticulous attention to detail as the Savage's legendary centerfire rifles, this all-new .50-cal. muzzleloader is capable of exceeding velocities of 2,200 fps with more than 2,600 foot pounds of knockdown energy. Plus, it boasts the accuracy to shoot less than 1.5" groups at 100 yds. with Blackhorn 209, Triple 7, Shockey Gold, or White Hots. Savage's Accu Trigger gives you the flexibility to set the trigger pull to your personal preference without having to pay a gunsmith. When maintained and properly adjusted, it cannot be accidentally discharged, even if jarred or dropped. The rugged Next G-1 camo stock is outfitted with a recoil absorbing P.A.D. pad. The 26" stainless steel barrel has a 1 in 24" twist.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... 20815&rid=

http://www.savagearms.com/10mlssiicamo.htm

It seems unrealistic that Savage would build a whole new rifle that just shoots BP substitutes....the original Savage ML shoots those powders very well plus the option of smokeless. Might be a marketing strategy by Savage to get Cabelas on board, maybe a liability issue that Cabelas is stuck on. I just can't see Savage putting a different barrel on an already excellent rifle that would limit its original capabilities. :? :?
Zen

I agree 100%. It would also be a huge liability for Savage to put out a BP only rig as it would add confusion. I will assume this is a smokeless gun with a much needed longer barrel and recoil pad.

I just dont know for certain and I will let you know what Savage says.

I think it was a good move for Savage/Cabelas to finally join forces.

Doohan said:

I seen that too. Ya need two, don't you JJ? :lol: I guess they are setting one up for that bipod with wheels on it to carry that long 26" barrel. :wink:

It is hard to believe thay would put a non-smokeless BP barrel on those. I bet Blackhorn 209 was kickin their azz last fall, and will be even more so this fall. Lots of rifles out there that can shoot BH209, and states that don't allow true smokeless like Michigan. They say we have more hunters using front stuffers than any other state.

If it is just a BP barrel, I think they are opening a can of worms when it comes to liability. My bet is it is just a marketing niche they are trying to fill, and the longer barrel is a bonus.

Grouse said:
Does it have two sling studs on top?

I noticed that also. The top one could be something to assist in holding the ramrod, a release of some sort. The ramrod on my Savage has a tendacy to work forward when you shoot it.
Zen

Dang, I have $500 in cabelas gift cards burning a hole in my pocket. Was getting a diamond black ice bow, but now I might have to rethink that. The old hoyt still works just fine...my omega still works fine, but I have always wanted to try smokeless....

The Savage is my favorite ML, but we can't use smokeless in it except during regular rifle season. I can get the laminated stock ML-II for less than that.

vabowhntr

The one (Savage) being shown in this thread does not appear to be a smokeless. It must be a brand new product coming from Savage.

I think I read the description correctly and there was no mention of 'Smokeless' powders

$70 extra for the scope... If it's the Simmons scope it's worth less than that...

Edit: I just saw that it's a Powerhorn... which probably isn't much better...

I spoke with Savage today and this gun is a special order by Cabela's built to their specifications. Cabela's has a strict NO SMOKELESS POWDER stance and they wanted a gun that would be on an even playing field with other manufacturers.

So there you go.. This is a BP/BP SUB gun.

8)

Cabelas says 2200fps with 2600 foot lbs of energy.

Savage and the Smokeless gun says 2300fps with 3000 foot lbs of energy.

:lol: :lol:

699 is to high .. can get a knight long range hunter ... under 600.. give it a year and some dumb ??? will own cabelas and savage :shock: :shock: can of stupid to make 2 muzzle loaders one fore smokeless and one fore black powder :?: :?: get the 10ML2 and be done with it :D :D

Here is what I know. :mrgreen:

This 10ML BP is available only from Cabela's. This gun was specified and built to Cabela's specifications. The appreciable differences are a bit longer barrel, ram rod and thimble, recoil pad, mild changes to the stock and custom camo. Cabela's calls this a BP/BP Sub only gun.... so I guess it is.

That said, I would like to get my hands on one of these. I am considering unloading one of my 10ML-II's to see what the fuss is about.

Back