Cabelas carries the Savage 10 Muzzleloader ML BP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd also bet someone is going to put smokeless powder in one of these rifles too. 8)

I'm calling BS! This sounds like a Savage/Cabelas conspiracy to me. Seriously, even if it is the same gun as the smokeless version, people could shoot BP out of it for the life of the gun and be none the wiser since the smokeless version shoots BP also. I bet it's the same gun and Cabelas is only marketing it this way so they are allowed to sell it. How else would you explain that outrageous price!....

Batchief909 said:
It's not a smokeless powder rifle. FOLKS,,,PLEASE DON'T FORGET THIS!!

You know that for a fact or are you just trusting what you read on the internet?

SWThomas said:
Batchief909 said:
It's not a smokeless powder rifle. FOLKS,,,PLEASE DON'T FORGET THIS!!

You know that for a fact or are you just trusting what you read on the internet?

Could be going by what Cabelas is saying publically stating the gun is.
I would assume as well the owner/operations manual with THIS gun will say the same.

But you are free to do whatever you like with it.

Steve

Until someone produced an operators manual that specifically says this is a BP ONLY rifle, I'm maintaining that it's the same rifle as the smokeless/BP version.

SWThomas said:
Until someone produced an operators manual that specifically says this is a BP ONLY rifle, I'm maintaining that it's the same rifle as the smokeless/BP version.

There isn't much doubt, at least in my mind, that the Owners Manual is going to say exactly what Cabelas has published on their site. When a company deals with Cabelas, you can better believe that you will be playing by Cabelas RULES, or you won't be dealin with Cabelas PERIOD. Like was mentioned earlier Cabelas has never really accepted the SMOKELESS Savage Muzzleloader.

Whether it has a Smokeless rated barrel or not, you can bet that Savage is going to have to tell you that it is a BP/BP Sub only rifle, just like Cabelas will want them too. I am also sure that Savage is not dumb enough to just build another BP muzzleloader that looks almost exactly like their SMOKELESS version, without taking into consideration that someone is actually going to load SMOKELESS in it. You can draw your own conclusion from that, but I doubt you will get either Cabelas or Savage to tell you otherwise.

I would rather err on the side of caution, before assuming.

You can bet that Savage had to eat a little humble pie, because they are going to see this WARNING posted right along with their name branded muzzleloader. But that is how it works when you deal with Cabelas.

pyrodex.gif

Yeah, that statement basically says that Savages' smokeless gun is unsafe...

IMO, ALL muzzy manufacture's should be making their guns with regular smokeless grade barrels.

Especially the big gun makers. That way everything comes off the line the same, proof tested and ready to go. One main process for all guns. THEN tell folks just to use BP subs. Then all the muzzys would be overbuilt for best safety 8) :wink:

This was posted on Doug's Smokeless Savage Board by Bill Ball who with his Father Henry Ball was the inventor of the Savage ML11...Straight from the Vice President of Savage.
Alright since the cat is out of the bag, I gues I can shed some light on this subject now. Per Brain Herrick, VP of Savage, in a conversation about 4-6 weeks ago, I was infomred of the Cabela's deal.

Basically, here is what the deal is:

The Savage 10ML-II is still and will continue to be the 10-ML-II.

The model that Cabela's will be selling, the 10ML-BP, will be a special run, strictly for Cabela's and Cabela's only. If Bass Pro, want's to sell it as well, Savage may accomidate them as well, with the same 10ML-BP as well, but only time will tell, if Bass Pro will sell it that model or not.

On the 10ML-BP, the barrel will be 26", the new breech plug will be hex cut to require a 3/8" socket to remove the breech plug. Now other changes to the breech plug. The barrel will be stamped with the standard, use black powder and/or black powder substitues only, bravo sierra on it, for pure liability reasons. Cabela's would not accept the deal without it. I don't recall if he mentioned that it had the new Accu-Stock on it or not, but I don't believe it does. I think it is the new style stock that looks like the Accu-Stock on the outside.

The 10ML-BP is still built off the same action as the 10ML-II, and the barrel it the same grade stainless and chrome-moly as the 10ML-II as well. The Breech Plug is still made of 4140 chrome-moly as well. So to answer all your questions, yes it can still shoot smokeless powder.

That is more or less the story I got from Savage. Savage understands that this gun may get confused with their smokeless brand.. .. and essentially it is the same gun/system however it is not labled or branded as such by order of Cabela's. :wink:

In retrospect..... We can all assume this is a special run 10ML-II..

However it is branded by Cabela's to be a BP/BP Sub gun and Savage will tell you the same. I am guessing Cabela's has taken delivery of this special run of guns and because of that Savage would like nothing more than to sell you the 10ML-II... :wink:

There you go.. clear as MUD! 8)

so is the breach plug going to be a BP type breach plug or will it be the smokeless unit with a vent liner

Same plug with a hex head instead of the standard Savage fair.

This gun is marketed as a BP/BP Sub gun... You will not get Savage or Cabelas to tell you differently.

Back