Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GM54, How does your Zapotec seedlings look? I ended up with 7 Keepers. These are an Odd Little seedling compared to anything else i have worked with, they seem really slow, and just not as vigorous? Are you experiencing the Same thing with yours? Mine are just now starting to get there first Set of Real leaves

Since they are a landrace and not a hybrid...That might be part of it. I have not put mine in cups yet. They are still in small cubes. IIRC i got 8 of 10 to germinate. They were the 2nd to last batch of seeds i germinated so mine are just now getting a couple true leaves.

Well, i got all my seeds sprouted except the dreaded Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion. Naglah brown didnt either but i got extra brown bhuts. Out of 20 JPGS seeds i got nada sofar. Almost ready to give up on the 2nd pack of 10. The Sugar Rush Peach had great germination and its from the same vendor but its not a chinense. Its also not nearly as hot, not even close.

What level of Heat are the Jay’s Peach Ghost Scorpion? They sound NASTY Hot :D

I am gonna do the Swimming pool thing this year that you mentioned way back in this thread, i have 2 little Kiddy type Pools that Don’t get used for anything, They will only Hold like 3 Fabric Pots. It just sounds like to good of an idea to not try it :lewis: Maybe 3 Tomatoes in 1 little Pool, and 3 Peppers In another

They are close to a ghost pepper in heat. Maybe a little more. The big brown ones im growing are probably quite a bit hotter. The generic ghost i grew last year was surprisingly good. Very hot but the "hab" flavor was not as strong as many chinense peppers ive tried. Dry them and its nearly gone. Then use the dried pods to give your milder sauce some zip without a big change in flavor.

Ive tried the same thing with habaneros and even a couple will make a quart of jalapeno sauce taste/smell like habanero. Just one Scotch bonnet in a pot of curry is really noticeable. You know you added a bonnet or hab to it. Do the same thing with a ghost and its far more subtle. So instead of tasting like a Caribbean curry it taste/smells more like an Indian curry.

My grow this year is called "The Year of Pain" :D Ive never grown so many peppers this hot. I use the extra for trade at the farmers market. Already got one vendor hooked on a few varieties. I gave him fresh pods so he could grow his own this year. He is growing some of my select bonnet seeds for pods and seedlings.

Mmmm beef and White Oak cheddar nachos!!!
K6X2NVu.jpg

I could go for a Plate of those right now!!

My Zapotec’s are Starting to Take off a Little Now, They are Looking MUCH better :lewis:

My aji pancas look really good. The brown bhuts look nice. Small but lots of tiny true leaves. A couple of my bonnets are starting to go. Five of the panca went into a window sill yesterday and i would swear they grew. All the rest barely got one set of true leaves.

My little Thai Chili Plants are COVERED in Flowers, I think i am gonna Start taking them outside in the Day, and Bring them Back in at night, or put them in my Garage. It is 32 Degrees out right now, It will freeze at night for the next month, month and a Half on Clear nights. These little Thai Chili’s are one of my Favorites for looks, They look just like little Bonsai Trees :) They get LOADED with Pods, and are Smokin HOT.
My Poor Carolina Reapers have been HACKED to Death, they Got SO BIG on me that i had no choice but to Cut them Back so they could stay under my Light, I actually Topped them out 2 Different times, and Cut all of their Leaves back. They are BULKY now, I Believe they will be REALLY Nice Plants :lewis: i am Stil Skeptical about them Producing here?

I really dont like the flavor of some Thai peppers. Some are really good like Giant Orange and the prik chee fah "facing heaven" peppers are ok. The ones im not fond of are from the frutescens family of peppers. Same as Tabasco. The others that i like are annuums. The super duper tiny birds eye just suck :p. REALLY hot and very bitter to me. Markets get them confused all the time and the flavor is quite different than the prik kee nu which look similar but are a little larger. Ive seen quite a few crosses too. Getting the "real deal" can be rough if you want a specific kind. Like Dragon chile hybrids ive tried are just nasty hot and bitter. They produce like mad though.

What you do with the "nasty ones" is ferment them with a bunch of garlic or make a hot vinegar. After the ferment you add sugar and rice vinegar to taste. Then pasteurize it so it wont ferment more. Not bad if you like Thai chile sauce or Thai sweet chile sauce.

If you like sweet but hot chile sauce you got to try this. DONT BUY IT ON AMAZON for that price unless you must. The stuff is cheap in most markets. Even some Walmart have it for under $4 per bottle. Its not really Thai. Its made in Malaysia but taste very similar to a sweet Thai chile sauce. KILLER on wings. Its 3-4 times hotter than Sriracha but nothing mind blowing.
https://www.amazon.com/Linghams-Sauce-Extra-12-6-Ounce/dp/B00CHUJE9O?th=1
81jhjvY4ijL._SL1500_.jpg

I’ll have to try that Lingham’s Extra Hot Sauce :lewis:

I agree with you on the little Thai Chili’s, I enjoyed Growing them more than Eating them, The Little Bonsai Tree look is Fun to me, pretty Cool looking little Dwarf Plant. They are SMOKIN Hot Little things!! I don’t remember them being Bitter? HOT, I remember well!

Can you say Root Bound :eek:!!! I had to get these Poor Carolina Reapers out of here!! They have Been in these Dixie Cups Since Christmas, I started them WAAAAAY To Early!! They are all in Big 7 Gallon Pots Now, I will have to take them in and out of my Garage At Dark, And Daylight until there’s no worry of Frost, Maybe getting them out this early will help Toughen them up for here? They will Likely “Hang up” and not Do much til it gets Warmer, Which is about June here :( I need to move to Arizona! :p
yYA1BEil.jpg

aL8STxB.jpg

Got nervous about not having the JPGS so i went ahead and placed an order with Juanitos Peppers. He is a THP forum member and has a nursery in OK. His seedlings look awesome too. Didnt really need the others but you have to order 6 plants.
https://juanitospeppers.com/

Plants 6 Pack for $30 delivered.

Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion
Joe's Long Cayenne
Scotch Brain
Trinidad Scorpion

My little Zapotec Jalapeño Plants are starting to fill out some now, i am excited to Work with these :lewis:

ERw2GHL.jpg

My Zapotecs are a little smaller and just started to fill out too. The Sugar Rush Peach just kicked in hard. I got a feeling they are gunna get really large. I have to put my other 5 Aji Panca in a window sill today. They are my culls but i cant kill them just yet. Someone might still want them. A couple of the bonnets and the brown bhuts are gunna need to be moved soon too.

Wont be long now and the 2 rocotos can go outside. Just cover them at night. We are supposed to get plenty of warm days this week but some rain too. Darn things grew to the top of the window again.

Ive got high hopes for the Zapotec. Love the Mucho Nacho but since its a hybrid i dont save seeds. Dad loves them too. All he used to want to grow were Early jalas until he tried them.

Brown Bhuts are almost like bonsai plants.
qIxsXeF.jpg

All these are Aji Panca. Amazing what a few days of real sunlight does.
GQZhtgp.jpg

Sugar Rush Peach getting potted today.
SzbdctI.jpg

A few P Dreadies
hCBSMMA.jpg

Compared to a TFM bonnet.
3AqpPts.jpg

Compared to a bhut
odpMXKm.jpg

Zapotecs
csHiYwL.jpg

Decided to grow tomatoes and some jalapenos this year. Tomatoes no problem have grown before. Easy to grow variety of jalapenos? Thought I'd grow in seven gallon smart pots. Any advice would be much appreciated. Nice looking plants GM.

Personal favorite that is easy to find.......Bonnie Mucho Nacho. Does well in ground and ok in pots. Should do better in a fabric pot than a hard pot too. Make sure you use a potting mix and not soil (dirt) in them.

These are a bit hot and large too. Early season might be milder but they get pretty zippy once the weather warms up.

Great white northern and canary bean chili. I used some turkey necks for the stock and leftover rotisserie chicken leg quarters.

It looks so innocent and mild.
7Gg0xOY.jpg

Then you bowl it and it just screams to be eaten. I wont hurt you a bit. You can trust me.
whf2rAW.jpg

So you dress that sucker up with a little cheese, cheeps and homemade ghost sauce and BAM.....Yeah, you get the picture.
XeVxXDA.jpg

It looks so innocent and mild.

Then you bowl it and it just screams to be eaten. I wont hurt you a bit. You can trust me.

So you dress that sucker up with a little cheese, cheeps and homemade ghost sauce and BAM.....Yeah, you get the picture.

WIeN0oDm.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back