Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, never seen anything like it. Congrats to your dad! Ours get maybe 8' on a good year. Are they a special kind?

I don’t believe they are anything special? They are in some REALLY Rich Soil, Dad has a pretty good bunch of chickens that Spend the Fall & Winter in that Lot, He moves them out in the Spring, Then Plows the Ground under several Times, so it’s Rich in chicken poo 💩 His Garden always does good, He has a pretty neat system going :lewis:

Trinidad Scorpion. Not the same as my CARDI scorpions. This was a seedling from CCN.
https://www.chileplants.com/search.aspx?ProductCode=CHITRSC
mpGVUrh.jpg

Numex Suave red from Chile Pepper Institute seeds. LOVE these heatless habanero. Huge compared to others ive grown. Makes it easy to get all that flavor and adjust heat with much hotter peppers. I got 5 of these plants and man do they crank peppers. One was so loaded a storm broke it. So im down to 4 plants now.

Thats a gallon ziplock btw. Not a quart bag.
RVxVBsY.jpg

Looks and sounds like a good pepper to go with onions and my homemade hot sausage. Mmmgood...
In Latin America peppers like this are used to make a sofrito. Its a mix off peppers/onions/ect you saute first for things like bean stews. The "hab flavor" goes great with beans and refried beans. I like to fry up some chorizo or smoked sausage. Remove most of the rendered fat and saute the sofrito in the rest of it.

More nearly heatless habanero. I dried the last pick already. Flavor is sweet and mild dried too. Plants crank out nice sized pods. They look hot and smell hot but have nearly no heat at all. Great for pranks.
aITeKKE.jpg

What does "nearly heatless" mean in terms of the heat in an ancho pepper relative to the heat in a jalapeno pepper? I have acid reflux, and am not supposed to consume spicy foods, but am always on the lookout for ways to add the flavor of hot peppers, without the capsaicin which my stomach cannot tolerate.

Not even close to jalapeno hot. Under 800 Scoville.

Numex Suave Red. The orange is supposed to be even milder
https://cpi.nmsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/60/2016/07/Suave.pdf
Habanada is another variety of "dulce" habanero. Very mild also. In parts of South America similar peppers are called Aji Dulce which translates into sweet pepper. Chop them up with onions and saute them for your stew base called a sofrito. Delicious in refried beans!!!!

Packed a 2qt jar full of Golden Greek peppers (pepperoncini).
1qt water
1qt vinegar
4 tsp canning salt
1 heaping tsp Tuscan spice blend
1 tbs minced garlic
Hand inject each pepper with warm brine before packing into the jar. Strain off the Tuscan spice. Just want a hint of that flavor.

Around 500-800 Scoville and a fraction of the sodium of store bought.
9ulGKil.jpg

Packed a 2qt jar full of Golden Greek peppers (pepperoncini).
1qt water
1qt vinegar
4 tsp canning salt
1 heaping tsp Tuscan spice blend
1 tbs minced garlic
Hand inject each pepper with warm brine before packing into the jar. Strain off the Tuscan spice. Just want a hint of that flavor.

Around 500-800 Scoville and a fraction of the sodium of store bought.
9ulGKil.jpg
I do love pepperoncini peppers. Are these refrigerator pickles, or do you water bath can them?

Not even close to jalapeno hot. Under 800 Scoville.

Numex Suave Red. The orange is supposed to be even milder
https://cpi.nmsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/60/2016/07/Suave.pdf
Habanada is another variety of "dulce" habanero. Very mild also. In parts of South America similar peppers are called Aji Dulce which translates into sweet pepper. Chop them up with onions and saute them for your stew base called a sofrito. Delicious in refried beans!!!!
Thanks for the link.

Lucas loved 'em.
The next morning my warden kept saying the same thing as you, in addition to other interesting phrases with words I've never heard before. Guess she was pretty busy that evening..

Do the habaneros with no heat still produce a similar flavor when you use them for cooking to me a habanero, regular one has a unique flavor which I like and I know some people do not, if you just eat one you don't appreciate the flavor if you cook with them I think the flavor comes out of course that's the case with a lot of hot peppers people don't give them a chance cooked in a dish

The Numex Suave ARE Chinense peppers just like habanero. They have the same funky "hab" smell you either love or hate. Cut one open and your first thought is this baby is gunna burn if i eat it. The aroma is certainly there and much more so than some other "seasoning" peppers ive grown.

I grow another member of the chinense family called Aji Panca. They are from Peru. Almost none of that "hab smell" and almost jalapeno hot. They look nothing like any habanero though. Flavor has a hint of smokey raisin/berry is the best way i can describe it. You dry them first. Then rehydrate in really hot water. Remove the seeds and blend them into a paste. For mild you use fresh water, for hotter you use some of the water from rehydrating.

Back