Can you feel the burn?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard of barahat. I had to look it up. Middle eastern spice. Not sure if I can get that. Will have to look around, but maybe these same 2 stores that have the peppers will have it.

Thanks!

New toy. My old 2 cycle would not start so i upgraded to the 4 cycle with a Honda motor. Everyone was sold out of the Honda mini tiller so i got another Mantis.
DatA9BF.jpg

Jalapeno patch is done. Only needs minor weeding now. Cultivated in some of my compost i started around last July and a coffee can of Chick N Poo. All my coffee grinds and egg shells went in this patch all winter also.
GAxnZh2.jpg

lfzluVJ.jpg

Bean trellis spot converted for some maters. Cultivated with the same mix and a thick compost layer in the back to help keep weeds down.
BhruLGN.jpg

aZyl3k0.jpg

At one time I used to do this in my garden but every coon and cat within a mile showed up and dug things up. Of course some of the critters perished in the act, but they took the fun out of watching things grow like crazy. I put my tomatoes and peppers in and give them a healthy drink of miraclegrow, then spread osmocote around the plant stems after a couple weeks and they do super good.

At one time I used to do this in my garden but every coon and cat within a mile showed up and dug things up. Of course some of the critters perished in the act, but they took the fun out of watching things grow like crazy. I put my tomatoes and peppers in and give them a healthy drink of miraclegrow, then spread osmocote around the plant stems after a couple weeks and they do super good.

I agree Tom, Doing this can be a Critter Magnet, and in many cases is a Bad idea. I have done this Whole fish thing for a Few years now with Zero problems, I do an ALL Potted Garden, And my Pots are Raised a Few feet off the Ground, I think that is what Saves me from Critter problems? I have yet to have anything Climb up and Dig a Pot Up.

To this Day i have never seen a Raccoon here in this Little town where i live? Oddly They are very uncommon here for whatever reason? (We had LOTS of them on the Wa Coast where i grew up) As for House Cats, I rarely see them around here anymore, I have gotten rid of Several Feral Cats in the last few years (I keep them WELL in Check :lewis:) I have a ZERO Tolerance for Cats on my Property, and am WELL KNOWN here for it. The occasional VERY Domesticated Cat (Collar & all) that have Showed up have never Caused me any Problems. The 1 Thing that i thought was gonna be my Nemesis is Skunks? We have LOTS of Skunks in this Area, i have Trapped and Dispatched 20 of them in My Back yard, But with my Plants ALL in Pots, and Lifted off the Ground they have NEVER Caused me any Problems, A skunk can’t/Won’t Climb. The 1 thing they do is Dig my Yard to Pieces for Grubs

Last edited:
We get raccoons, skunks, rabbits, cats and dogs coming through. Cats with collars get the airsoft treatment along with dogs. Everything else gets a ride in an empty dog food bag to the dump.

I have a couple live traps and a Rat Zapper for the striped ground squirrels. Them little stripers are the only ones that do much digging in my pots. A couple mile drive and i can relocate things like raccoons on the other side of a river. Chances they return are pretty much none.

Each year i empty the freezer of any leftover freezer burned fish. Dig a couple holes and fill them in. Cover that with some of my compost. About this time of year i spread out the compost, add a good shot of Chick N Poo fertilizer then do a shallow till. Then that sits a couple more weeks before planting. Last year i think i skipped tilling the jalapeno patch because the soil felt plenty loose.
https://chicknpoo.com/
If you got lots of diggers just add the fish to a compost pile and let it cook. Fish is fairly high in nitrogen plus other nutrients. Shrimp/crab/lobster shells are awesome if you can get enough. A compost pile needs nitrogen to really get cooking hot. That heat it generates is what kills lots of bad bacteria and seeds you dont want. I meen they can get REALLY hot. One year when i was a kid we had literally a ton of pig poo delivered. Combined that with all the yard and kitchen waste. That pile steamed like a volcano all winter. The next season it all got tilled into a 15ftx65ft garden.

Chick N Poo is only like $8-$9/25lb bag around here. It wont burn your plants. Has a really good about of calcium. Maters love the stuff.

Last edited:
Instant Pot (6Qt) white chili day since it kinda cool and might be one of the last cool days.

1lb ground pork WELL BROWNED
2lbs ground turkey
1lb White beans or Mexican yellow beans (Soaked over night or not. Both ways turn out fine in the Instant Pot)
2 packs of Williams white chili mix....this stuff is good even if you just use the included directions
At least 1.5 cups of diced yellow or white onion
1 Quart unsalted chicken bone broth
2 Jalapeno diced fine (seeds removed)
1 TBS Kirkland 21 spice (NO SALT SEASONING)
2-3 TSP ground cumin
2-3 TSP of granulated garlic
Couple stalks of celery diced or dried flakes....only had flakes atm
1 TBS dried red bell flakes
Around 1-1.5 cups of frozen sweet corn
1-2 carrots diced

Cream/Half&Half/Cream Cheese/Sour Cream to finish. Totally optional but a splash of cream brings out the white and has a nice mouth feel.

Brown the hell out of the ground pork. Then toss it in the Instant Pot. Dont worry much about draining the fat off.
Brown the ground turkey. Then toss it in the Instant Pot.
Soften the onion and jalapeno in the same pan until the onion is translucent. Then toss it in the Instant Pot
Pour in the bone broth and enough water to get to just under the max line. If you start with soaked beans you should be fine in a 6 quart Duo Gourmet model
Dump all the seasons in the pot and just stir them into the top. Dont stir it heavily.
Place the lid on the instant pot with the vent set on pressure cook
Set pressure cook timer to 10-15min because its gunna slow cook a little longer anyway. Might wanna go 20min if using unsoaked dried white beans.
TURN OFF KEEP WARM

Wait at least 15min after its done or natural release before you open it.
Remove the lid and replace with the optional glass cover if you got it
Set the Instant Pot to slow cook MEDIUM
Check the beans to see if they are cooked enough for you.
Add the carrot, sweet corn and diced celery now. Stir it all up.
On medium it should come upto a simmer in 10ish minutes. I dont like my veggies cooked to mush so you will need to adjust this a little.
Turn down the slow cook to low after it comes upto a good simmer
Add Cream/Dairy product whatever now.

If you had enough fat, the starch released by the beans should begin to thicken the chili. Its ready as soon as the veggies are done to your liking. Thicken with potato starch or cassava flour slurry in a little water if you want.

Salt to taste if you didnt already. I like to let everyone choose how salty they want it but it WILL need some salt.

31 Degrees here this morning, I bet there were a BUNCH of little Tomato plants Etc. That got STUNG Hard here this morning, Most people (Oldtimers/Locals) know better than to plant this early around here, But this has been an Odd Start of Summer, We just had a Week of Mid 80s, Running AC, yesterday was Off & On Cloudy with a fairly Stiff Wind that stayed the entire Day, it got Calm & Clear last night, And Froze this morning. Gardening in North Idaho is Rough :)

Been raining here for days which makes hardening off seedlings a pain. Plus a couple i got in pots need fertilizer. Everything in ground already is doing good though and i got a container mater that is really rocking. All this rain is making the container peppers struggle a little for nitrogen. Nothing major yet but they could be greener. Liquid fertilizers are not as effective with this much rain and most of it just gets wasted. About ready to crack out a small amount of calcium nitrate to top dress them.

Top dressed my last 2 small raised beds with Black Kow. All im waiting on now is a break in the weather. I got some 75% shade screen ready to go and it looks like after today its gunna clear up. Supposed to be hot too.

As a southern boy, I’ve eaten a lot of cornbread, and yours looks as good as any I’ve ever seen. Wish my wife could stand the peppers.

This one is super low sodium too. I used Hains baking powder and Delmonte no salt added creamed corn. Only thing i would change is using a larger baking dish and 1 more TBS of sugar. The bake time in the recipe is not even close to done if the cornbread is thick. Mine took 45min and a 30min rest time.

Huevos con chorizo

Brown 1lb fresh chorizo and remove all but about 2 tbs of the fat. Add the onion and collards. Cook until softened.
h36l34A.jpg

Add 6 scrambled eggs mixed with a couple TBS of cream.
M8fss3t.jpg

When its almost fully cooked top with just a little Mexi cheese. Cover and turn off the heat until the cheese is melted. The eggs will continue cooking but wont burn.
JRx717k.jpg

I dont always use Reaper sauce on my scrambled eggs with chorizo, but when i do its Lola's Reaper Sauce. :D
lj7xRxP.jpg

First Ghost Pepper haul of the season and these guys seem really hot for bhuts. Ive grown them a couple times and these are hotter for sure.
kYWHbBV.jpg

I grew Reapers and Dragons Breath before. This year i did Ghost, Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, my own brown scorpion cross (CARDI/Naglah brown) and 7 Pot Madballz....Neat thing about Reapers though is they are easy to sell and people pay REALLY good money for them. I was getting $7/100 grams. So like $28/lb

My favorite sofar though are either ghost or CARDI scorpions. The CARDIs ive grown seemed as hot as anything else ive grown. Ghost have the best overall flavor for sauce.

Back