Cheddite Primers with Blackhorn 209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoCoMo

Reaction score
Howdy, new member here.

I have a CVA Optima with the BH209 breech plug. I have plenty of BH209. Just having trouble finding magnum primers. The only 209 primer I can currently find anywhere is the Cheddite 209.

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/primers/shotshell-primers/209-shotshell-primers-prod81658.aspx
Will these consistently work for the Optima with the 209 breech plug? I’m in Southern Missouri. So I won’t be out in any crazy cold temps (guessing teens/20s at the lowest) like guys up north. I just want to be sure before I spring for 1k of them and pay hazmat fees, etc.

Thanks!

They will ignite BH209 but they are very short primers so get some orings from McMasters. You put a oring in the primer pocket in the plug. They last about 20 shots or so. Without the oring they wont seal up good in the plug.

Go to McMasters and look up this part number. Your local hardware store might have something like them too.
L9A2kuC.png

Any full power 209 will ignite BH209 in a good plug that dont leak like mad. Another super good primer for CVA plugs is the NOBEL aka NSI 209/686 or 209/688 primers. They are fatter than USA made primers but as long as Feds/Win209s. CVA QRBPs are larger OD in the primer pocket than say a Knight plug so the Nobel fits great.

If you come to St Charles/St Louis at all, shoot me a PM. I have some Federal 209 primers I can spare.
If you are near St Charles , keep an eye on Grafs Reloading on 5th street . They carry the NSI 209/688 primers and many others when they can get them. Calling is kinda useless unless you have a friend working there. So you have to stop by in person.

I stop in there at least once a week, but it’s not Graf’s anymore. The new name is Full Circle Reloading, but most of the employees stayed after Graf’s sold out.

They will ignite BH209 but they are very short primers so get some orings from McMasters. You put a oring in the primer pocket in the plug. They last about 20 shots or so. Without the oring they wont seal up good in the plug.

Go to McMasters and look up this part number. Your local hardware store might have something like them too.
L9A2kuC.png
Is this true for all rifles using Cheddite #209 Primers for Shotshell? Or is it specifically for the CVA? I have a Traditions Tracker 209 and 1000 of the Cheddite #209 primers on order from Brownells.

Its probably a good idea to use the orings with any break action ML and the Cheddite primers. They are very short vs most USA made primers.

I recently did a very unscientific test of the four 209 primers I had on hand. MY test was to wrap my ramrod tip with two cotton patches to create a tight seal to the barrel and breach plug. I then fired 6 primers of each brand and measured the amount each shot moved the ramrod. following are the results;

Rem STS 4.0 inches
Fed 209A 3.75 inches
CCI 209M 4.50 inches
Cheddite 7.25 inches

Based on these results, I would say that the Cheddite 209 primers are more robust (hotter) than the others and more than capable of igniting BH 209.

Bill

Thats an interesting test. I have a Traditions Buckstalker xt in .50 cal. In my area, BC, I can buy in bulk Cheddite cx2000 type 209, or Nobel Sport 209's. Seems like the Cheddites should be ok, any thoughts between the two? I have some CCI muzzleload primers but I have to order those with all the fees for shipping.
K

I recently did a very unscientific test of the four 209 primers I had on hand. MY test was to wrap my ramrod tip with two cotton patches to create a tight seal to the barrel and breach plug. I then fired 6 primers of each brand and measured the amount each shot moved the ramrod. following are the results;

Rem STS 4.0 inches
Fed 209A 3.75 inches
CCI 209M 4.50 inches
Cheddite 7.25 inches

Based on these results, I would say that the Cheddite 209 primers are more robust (hotter) than the others and more than capable of igniting BH 209.

Bill
Very interesting test, thanks for all the info. Think i'll take a plunge and order the Cheddite primers, now to find some BH...

Is this true for all rifles using Cheddite #209 Primers for Shotshell? Or is it specifically for the CVA? I have a Traditions Tracker 209 and 1000 of the Cheddite #209 primers on order from Brownells.
I have the same rifle they should work if the metal is not to hard . I tried 777Winchester primers but they did stick I switched to the Federal muzzleloader primer worked fine I eventually switched it over to no 11 caps and regular BP or Pyrodex much cleaner.

Latest posts

Back