Chrono’d My Muzzleloader Today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
45-70, are you hunting or shooting competitively? Were I shooting for $ or really long distance with a heavy lead projectile - I too would adjust the scope with target knobs for what is/was needed. In fact in the old days when I was shooting PRB's in competition I used a Lyman 57 SML peep on my Renegades with ranges set for different distances. The 57 allows you to push a button and move the sight freely. It really was handy!
makes no difference , I still dial the scope , it is why it has knobs on it . And if I was hunting only out 100 yds , then I would still use round ball in side lock

I think this is one of those debates that can be argued back & forth like the bible.

Good shooters, with lots of time behind their scoped rifle, can sight in with a particular powder, powder charge, wad, & sabot/bullet, or lead conical, or copper, or brass projectile; for a maximum point blank range, and after ranging the distance to the animal, hold over, or under, within the rise/drop of the bullet, and feel perfectly confident of ethically killing their chosen game.

It's called experience, and there's nothing wrong with it.

OTOH, precision target shooters, by nature, will want to use a range finder, and dial in the exact number of M.OA.'s in their scope so that, what they see as "guesswork,", is eliminated.

Personally, I won't try to kill any animal at any range, whether I consider it table fare, or vermin, without being 99.999% sure that it's going to be a killing shot when I pull the trigger.

Hunting of animals for the table, for me, means not shooting past 75-100 yards, regardless of what projectile is coming out of the muzzle.

Personally, I consider shooting game animals at long distances to be the antithesis of hunting. I know that this is a very unpopular opinion in this day and age. But, I was raised that the concept of hunting took place on the ground, by a mobile, slowly moving hunter, who was actively pursuing his intended prey. At the very least, you created a ground blind so as to ambush the animal.

In other words, the human hunter was mimicking in every possible way, the actions of the big cats, the wolves, and the other predator species of the animal kingdom.

Pulling the trigger from 125 yards, and beyond, FOR ME, goes against everything I was taught.

I think this is one of those debates that can be argued back & forth like the bible.

Pulling the trigger from 125 yards, and beyond, FOR ME, goes against everything I was taught.

Man, since the beginning of time had no other choice than to get close, no matter what or how. Killing something with a club requires being "up close and personal". When man realized he could use a sharpened wooden stick and throw it, he still had to get close, again no matter what or how. Since the beginning of time, man has always sought to stay further from game, especially game that would kill and eat him. All manner of objects man has used have been "up close and personal", until they discovered the bow and arrow and of course, it only gave a slight advantage. That said, man is still looking for the same thing today. 100yrs ago snipers weren't killing the enemy at 2 miles like today.

So, we're starting to wonder off topic here a little :)

There is nothing wrong at all with anyone wanting to get close. There is also nothing wrong with a seasoned and confident hunter taking game at long range.

If you hunt out in the wide open, PBR may likely work for you if you're a confident shooter. However....... if you're hunting woodlands, agricultural fields such as standing corn, PBR shooter could very well have to let an animal go. Say you have an animal at 75yds and only a 2" opening for a neck shot????? Or at the other end, the animal is at 215yds and you have a 5" opening for a killing neck shot.
The PBR hunter is more than likely going to let the animal walk, hoping for a better shot. On the other hand, the hunter that knows exactly how to dial his scope, target shooter or just hunter, is more than likely going to thread that bullet and fill his freezer.

To each his own...................

I use what you call experience on animals out to 200 yds with confidence on relaxed calm animals ,me also being relaxed/calm .When the trigger gets pressed a big chunk of lead (400-550 grains) over the appropriate charge strikes the animal (happens every time ) knowing the yardage as That is the short yardage I shoot every week out to 700 yds . I can"t do it off hand /standing but in all honesty I am confident @ 250 too if the critter is posed/ and above all calm /angled as described , just don't want to offend any ones sensibilities Do the yardage enough and it's no big deal . Ed

Latest posts

Back