Cleaning for accuracy-questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
When shooting for accuracy, how often do you clean your bore, every 5 shots or more? And do you do a thorough cleaning? ( I currently use Hoppes 9, Shooters Choice MC7 and just acquired some Barnes CR10). Im talking about a high powered rifle, most of my experience is with muzzleloaders.

It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm working up a new load I'll clean after each group of shots before moving on to another powder charge. If I'm just shooting for fun might clean every 10 - 15 shots. Depends on when I think I might need a break and time to suck on a cigar :) . If it not a long session might wait till I get home to do a thorough cleaning.

It depends on what I'm doing.

Absolutely!

If it's in the middle of hunting season, no bore cleaning until season is over OR I notice an accuracy issue..

GENERALLY I clean when I notice an accuracy issue OR when ready for long term storage. It also depends on the gun. Some shoot great with dirty barrels and some drop off with only 20-30 shots...

Back