Cleaning patches

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum

Reaction score
I've bought patches and cut my own patches for cleaning and was wondering what most of you guys did for yours. Do you buy in bulk someplace special? Do you make your own? From what?
Just looking for others ideas.
Magnum

Patches are the cheapest part of the gun care equation and I have no problem spending money on decent patches. I figure if a jag runs thru a patch on one trip thru the bore the patch isn't heavy enough and look elsewhere the next time I buy. I found some no name bags of 2 1/2" round patches locally that come in bags of 500 and they are great. I tried a bag and liked them and went back and bought the other 7 bags so I'm fairly well set.

I've always been a stickler for gun maintenance, all of my guns, and will spend well to keep them clean. I buy Hoppes #9 by the quart. lol

I order 2 1/2" Pro Shot round patches in the biggest bulk count I can find off of Amazon.

Re: RE: Re: Cleaning patches

WV Hunter said:
Lately I've been using old t-shirts cut to about 2.5" squares.
+2, i cut up 2 stained t shirts this week.

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

Cotton flannel at Wally-World usually about $5/yd and sometimes on sale for around $3.
1 yard is over 300 - 2" square patches. Fold flannel and cut about 6 layers with a straight edge all cut in about 10 minutes.

Attachments

• Cutter Cotton Flannel.JPG
    Cutter Cotton Flannel.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 442
We don't know if these guys are even washing their old underwear to make patches let alone washing used patches. lol

03mossy said:
Anybody ever tried washing patches and reusing them?
One of the guys at Friendship does/did - they always looked ragged and frayed..

52Bore said:
Cotton flannel at Wally-World usually about $5/yd and sometimes on sale for around $3.
1 yard is over 300 - 2" square patches. Fold flannel and cut about 6 layers with a straight edge all cut in about 10 minutes.
Cutter Cotton Flannel.JPG

8 yards is just under $20 here at Walmart 100% cotton 150gsm

Back