Colorado legal deer bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timberline12

Reaction score
I own several .504 White Whitetails and have one set up for elk using 460 grain conicals.I am kicking around setting up another one just for Colorado deer and antelope. My reasoning for doing this is: to use a lighter bullet better suited for deer sized game with the side benefit being it will be easier on my messed up shoulder plus it's just another excuse to fiddle with something different.

My guns shoot Bull Shop and No Excuses 460's well - I have not tried the lighter bullets from these makers. My gun does not like the Hornady FPB's. I also looked at the Harvester Saber Tooth bullets but the person I talked to at Harvester said they wouldn't work well in White rifles. I have not tried any of the Power Belt variations.

Any suggestions from other White users would be appreciated. Thank you!

I’m thinking With Whites Fast Twist you are kinda Stuck in the longer Heavier bullets for Stability. My lightest 50 Cal bullet is the Lyman Plains, it weighs 395 Grains, but I doubt it would work in a White? That is a true .504 Bore Correct? The Lyman Plains is a Tapered bullet, the base bands are .498-.499, and the top Driving band is oversized to engage the Riflings, it measures .506-.507

I ABSOLUTELY hear ya on the Lighter loads, Sure a lot more pleasurable to shoot than the BIG HEAVY recoilers. I don’t mind recoil, i actually do quite well with it, But i would MUCH MUCH rather shoot a lighter fun load, Why take the Punishment when it’s really not necessary? Elk hunting, I want my BIG Hammers! Deer, No need for that

If i were in your shoes i would gamble and have a Custom Mold made to your Specs, Accurate molds is awesome to work with! Tom will help you on the bullet, just tell him what Dimensions you need, and what Weight you would prefer the bullet. He draws it up and emails it to you, if you approve he Catalogs it and you place your order, simple as that! You can get a New Custom mold made in Aluminum for 75 bucks or so. But if you don’t Cast bullets, this is kind of a Moot point, You could always Start Casting though! :D

Grab a box of the lighter no excuses im sure you can find a charge that shoots em well. My wife shoots a 170grain bullet in her 1-20 twist so I can't see a reason you couldn't shoot lighter in your 1 in 24.

Latest posts

Back