Conical bullet coating for a ML rifle.........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETipp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Is there any particular bullet coating that can be used in ML such as the old A-Lox or other popular bullet coatings to help reduce lead fouling? I use to use A-Lox for my 1911 bullets and it did the trick. A little messy but I have heard there are new and better bullet coatings to be had. Just don't know if anyone uses them.

Go to the bullet casting section then lube recipes. Many good formulas for excellent bullet lubes.

Go to the bullet casting section then lube recipes. Many good formulas for excellent bullet lubes.

I did that already. Sure are a lot of recipes. However, at this point I'm looking at some good commercial coatings. I doubt it will take much to get me what I need for a while. Just would like to coat a few for now until I find a bullet I know I want to stick with.

Plain old Crisco shortening might serve your purpose.

I did that already. Sure are a lot of recipes. However, at this point I'm looking at some good commercial coatings. I doubt it will take much to get me what I need for a while. Just would like to coat a few for now until I find a bullet I know I want to stick with.
Are you thinking about something like powder coating bullets? Or just a good lube recipe? There are several guys here that powder coat their bullets

Are you thinking about something like powder coating bullets? Or just a good lube recipe? There are several guys here that powder coat their bullets
I am interested in finding some commercial coating. I already have bullet lube for now. I've been out of this thing for a while so I was hoping to find what's new that some of you would recommend for ML bullet coating. I don't need very much for now, at least until I settle on a conical bullet for sure.

Is powder coating better than the standard grease groove lubed method?
Idk, i have the equipment but havent coated bullets yet. Seems like it might help if leading is a problem. But with Lewis’s modified NASA recipe i have not seen any leading, so i never powder coated any yet. I tried Alox but i think its just too hard for ML conicals. BLL sounds very promising as a bullet coating according to a friend of mine who loves it.

Like Michiganmuzzy, I too have followed Lew's modified NASA lube recipe with no leading issues. I also don't go over 70gr of 3F or 80gr of 2F powder with my 45 cal ML shooting 345gr conicals. I'm even thinking of dropping my 3F loads down to 65gr and my 2F Loads to 75gr. I find with my 45's shooting the 345gr conicals I'm getting better accuracy. I think I'm getting around 1250 ML with that load but will confirm when the weather gets warmer with my Chronograph.

Latest posts

Back