Conical Bullet Coating.............

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETipp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Guys, I have seen the sticky about different recipes for bullet lube. However, I at this stage in the game I would like to find a commercial bullet coating that some of you may have used with good results. I have used Lee Liquid A-Lox on some 1911 bullets. It works okay but is a bit messy, but I would use it again for simplicity if need be. Is there any other commercial bullet coatings you would recommend for conicals?

Last edited:
Guys, I have seen the sticky about different recipes for bullet lube. However, I at this stage in the game I would like to find a commercial bullet coating that some of you may have used with good results. I have used Lee Liquid A-Lox on some 1911 bullets. Is there any other commercial bullet coatings you would recommend for conicals?
I guess im misunderstanding what exactly youre looking for. A lube or a coating? I believe they are two different things. Especially when you say “commercial coating”.

I should also mention powder coat, that I've shot but still with grease to try and soften fouling. I've since been told the grease will do little in that area, so just shoot the PC coated as is.

Last edited:
I guess im misunderstanding what exactly youre looking for. A lube or a coating? I believe they are two different things. Especially when you say “commercial coating”.
No problem. Often its difficult to put words into the proper context when trying to convey something, especially on a forum. If one word is not used properly, or left out, it can change the entire meaning.

Commercial bullet coating, as in A-Lox, or, from what am seeing now, powder coating. Just curious as to what others on here are, or have used on ML bullets.

Deluxe liquid Xlox might be worth trying, I haven't fired anything yet, but I do have a jug here. A small amount in a plastic bag and just move the bullets around for a while by hand got them all covered. I didn't touch the drying tray for several days, so not sure on the actual dry time, but they were not overly sticky. Not sure this link will work, from LSSTUFF. 45-45-10/Deluxe Liquid Xlox – 32oz Bottle Liquid Alox tumble lube [] - $19.53 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
That might work. As I have said, I use to use Liquid A-Lox but it remained sticky for a while. It was also messy.

Deluxe liquid Xlox might be worth trying, I haven't fired anything yet, but I do have a jug here. A small amount in a plastic bag and just move the bullets around for a while by hand got them all covered. I didn't touch the drying tray for several days, so not sure on the actual dry time, but they were not overly sticky. Not sure this link will work, from LSSTUFF. 45-45-10/Deluxe Liquid Xlox – 32oz Bottle Liquid Alox tumble lube [] - $19.53 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
I was told Alox didn't work with fouling from black powder , so I never did . I go with Lewis (secret lube) and it works on what ever I shoot with accuracy/Ed

No problem. Often its difficult to put words into the proper context when trying to convey something, especially on a forum. If one word is not used properly, or left out, it can change the entire meaning.

Commercial bullet coating, as in A-Lox, or, from what am seeing now, powder coating. Just curious as to what others on here are, or have used on ML bullets.
Its not a commercial product but BLL is possibly something you can make easily and has quite a good reputation. Its a lube and a coating. Its made with the liquid ALox. Check out the recipe and see what you think.
Post in thread 'Bullet lubing question'
Bullet lubing question

Alox, bll, powdercoat all still need a lube for the powder. None of these will lube the bore. They will help prevent leading is all they do. Or you will be cleaning sooner and more often.

Powder coating done right is as slippery as any lube, but won't do anything for powder fouling. I don't think the tumble lubes will do much for fouling either, even if you manage to pack the grease grooves.

For powder coat, I use the shake and bake method. My latest go to powder is Eastwood Cadillac Midnight Blue, the 8 ounce jars will last a long time and easier to store.

Get a thermometer for your powder coat oven, the dial on the front is not going to be accurate. Use a silicone baking sheet to keep from sticking, also heard that no stick aluminum foil is good. I'm waiting for some materials to upgrade my cheap oven, there is zero insulation in the cheap ovens. Also going to use a PID controller, built one for my lead pot and might as well get double duty out of it.

Alox, bll, powdercoat all still need a lube for the powder. None of these will lube the bore. They will help prevent leading is all they do. Or you will be cleaning sooner and more often.
Thanks. Not concerned about lubing the bore. It is strictly for lead fouling.

Greetings been casting boolits a long time
I have gotten away from traditional lube for my cast boolits and went to straight powder coating, now powder coating does ad to the size of your cast so you would need to size all you cast or obtain a mold that is under sized at the start

Greetings been casting boolits a long time
I have gotten away from traditional lube for my cast boolits and went to straight powder coating, now powder coating does ad to the size of your cast so you would need to size all you cast or obtain a mold that is under sized at the start
When you size a PC’d bullet, do you see much coating coming off? What coating method do you use? Im thinking… cast, under-size .002-.003”, shake&bake coat, re-size. I don't really want to buy an undersized mold, if sizing doesn't take off much coating.

when I size it takes of no coating
I use a powder coat gun shake and bake is ok but I prefer to
be able to coat with any powder and color I choose that is not always the case for shake and bake
sizing just reshapes the boolit doesn't actually shave any off

Latest posts

Back