Conicals for Colorado Elk

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so the Bullshop is out! No bullets 'til Otober??? :shock: :x

At this point that leaves the 460gr No Excuses Bullets...not a bad choice if my gun likes 'em.

Has anyone tried the Hornady Great Plains, 410 grain, spire points on elk? These sound like a good one to try as well.

Txhunter58, you mentioned the Hornady PRB's (Patched Round Balls) in one of you previouos posts? Did you actually mean Hornady FPB's? http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=770 These are the new 350gr hollow base conicals with the polymer tip...and yes I would probably just pull the tips If I tried those...but they are pricey. Like the Powerbelts, you're definitely paying a premium.

txhunter58 said:
Yep, FPB"s . Sorry. Shouldn't use letters!

Just remember "Forget PowerBelts" and you'll never forget. :wink: :lol:

nah he nor anyone wont forget them with me shooting them :lol: have 2 packs on the way for the omega to try out.

Looks like i'll be hunting rifle season this year too so i'll be able to use the scope.

Someone told me the "F" stood for something else, but your version was better in mixed company! :lol:

Cheif, I slugged that barrel and if I did it correctly it appears to be .502...does that sound about right?

DocBob said:
Cheif, I slugged that barrel and if I did it correctly it appears to be .502...does that sound about right?

.502" sounds like a Knight. Get yourself some .503" 460 gr No Excuses/Bullshop/White conicals, some veggie fiber gasket wads, 80-90 grains 777, and you'll be in business. That is the size you want for a hunting bullet, engraves slightly, stays put on the charge, shoots excellent in my .502" 1-28 bores.

Mine are sized at .504,,,so they might be too snug. Like Busta said,,I'd get some .503 460gr. No Excuses.

They are cheap enough to try and if they shoot well from your gun, there is no better elk medicine!

I have not actually measured my KRB, but when I tried no excuses 460's, they went down very easy, almost too easy and I would be a little worried about coming off the charge. They are a lot tighter in my Omega, but the Omega will not shoot them.

As I said, you will just have to try them. Most people report good accuracy and devestating results on game.

Ordered the 460gr No Excuses an will pick up some 777 powder and wads.

I like the idea of these waterproof "A card wads" located here:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(ofj1as ... vqa1dq122j))/categories/tableList.aspx?catId=2&subId=37&styleId=121&PageSize=25&Page=2
(copy and paste the whole line...for some reason the forum wont pick up the entire address)

Busta, you mentioned "80-90 grains of 777"...is that by weight or volume? If by volume, what would be the weight? I plan on weighing my charges before heading to the range.

Just do a couple of volumetric charges and weigh them. Use the average weight as your target weight. Then, if you happen to run out of pre-weighed, you can use your volumetric and still be very close.

It's a lot easier to say WAD-510A at TOTW. ;)

Yes, VOLUME! Multiply Volume loads by .777 for weight. This will vary a bit from 777 FFG to 777 FFFG, so weigh your thrown charges to come up with your multiplier. I have seen multipliers from .74 to .78, sou you could just use .75 for simplicity.

If your multiplier was .75, 80 grains VOLUME would be 60 grains by WEIGHT, and 90 grains VOLUME would be 67.5 grains by WEIGHT.

Just make sure to measure out some VOLUME loads, then WEIGH them so you know what your powder weighs with your powder measure like UC said.

Those 460 NE's will do the trick. :wink:

Do what Busta says, forget powerbelts I shot a couple elk with them although it killed them,NO more, the 460 is a very good bullet I also shot elk with them and they are great, although they are the bullshop version,
Almost same thing. However I do push them I like 115 grains of
T7 :D , Would use more but patterns open up :cry: Those 460 lead bullets will not fragment,this I know first hand, By the way I will be driving by your area on my way to ML hunt bull elk :lol: :D :D
RC

Thanks again for all the info...if I'm not archery hunting then I'm rifle hunting. The ML thing is new to me. I'm definitely looking forward to this hunt and don't want to worry about my bullet performance.

Clock,
You're right, It's a lot easier to say WAD-510A at TOTW...Thanks for the shorthand.

Red,
If you're passing through Rifle, CO, stop by Sammy's Restaurant (the new Rifle Brewing Co.) I'm one of the owners so I'm almost always there...of course if it's ML Bull Elk Season I guess I might actually be up on a mountain somewhere!!! 8)

Back