Conicals/wads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkJunkie

Reaction score
I'm wanting to experiment with some conical slugs. I shoot a Winchester inline and T/C Hawken, both 50 cal.. When should wads be used in conjunction with conical slugs? From the literature I've seen, I can't determine wheter they are absolutely necessary. I would apreciate any advice, thanks

While not absolutely necessary,,,I use a wad while shooting conicals for 2 reasons. First,,,they eliminate any concern you may have about "leading" ,,,and they may or may not help with accuracy. (Although they won't hurt accuracy,,I've found them to help) I shoot a 496gr. Whitworth style conical out of my White rifles running close to 1400 fps. I've never experienced "leading" since I started using an unlubed felt wad. (unlubed because I can't fathom anything with moisture next to my powder charge.)

I've read alot about wads with conicals and it make sense to me that there would be increased accuracy. Have not tried them yet but they're on the "to do" list.

I just bought 400 unlubed wads for the .50 System 1 and .451 Super 91. I have used the lubed wonderwads with excellent results in accuracy, but in the warmer months the lube gets messy.

Gonna try glueing them to the 460 conicals in the White to see if that affects accuracy. I have a problem with the wads not staying in the speed loader and mixing with the loose powder and dropped one during hunting this fall. If that doesn't work will probably just not use a wad for hunting as one or two shots is all you will be shooting anyway.

Latest posts

Back