Converting a CVA Optima Pro Magnum V-1 to a CVA V-2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny Ross

Reaction score
The main difference between the original
and the CVA Pro Magnum V-2 Is that the original has a breech plug that is recessed in the barrel and can only be removed with a socket wrench, and the V-2 can be removed using only ones fingers. Having an old original with a less-than-perfect barrel, I decided to se if I could convert it to a V-2. Using a hacksaw and a file, I cut off about 3/8" of the barrel (.335", to be precise), and squared it off with the file. I then made several beech plugs out of 5/8-18 bolts to fit. One takes a 209 shotgun primer, and the others several cartridges. The one I use mostly is the one that takes a .41 Remington Magnum. With these breech plugs I can use 209 shotgun, large and small pistol and large and small rifle primers, which is an advantage given that one never knows what primers will be available.
1659090882332.jpeg

The picture above is my altered barrel installed with the breech plug screwed out and an unaltered barrel.
I originally wrote this post in The High Road. It can be seen at Converting a CVA Optima Pro Magnum V-1 to a CVA V-21659090882332.jpeg
Snidely70431, Jul 19, 2022 Report
#1 + Quote Reply

Hi Danny, that was an interesting project. I have a CVA 12 ga barrel with a 209 breech plug. Can't seem to find one that will convert it to musket caps. Do you think a 209 breech plug be altered to accept musket cap nipples, or a completely new one fabricated? I think the hex could be cut off of this one and the plug threaded for a nipple, but dont know how I would be able to remove the plug from the gun without the hex.20221229_074625.jpg

If you’re having any accuracy issues with grouping, borrow or buy a 45 degree, 5 flute chamfering tool .
You can use a drill but I use a hand tapping handle to cut about 1/8” into the bore and give the barrel a new crown.

There is also a crowning tool that looks like a ball with a shaft that can be bought cheap on Midway USA. It uses a lapping compound and isn’t nearly as sensitive to keep straight.

Some folks don’t crown and have no issues. Some people have huge issues.

If you’re having any accuracy issues with grouping, borrow or buy a 45 degree, 5 flute chamfering tool .
You can use a drill but I use a hand tapping handle to cut about 1/8” into the bore and give the barrel a new crown.

There is also a crowning tool that looks like a ball with a shaft that can be bought cheap on Midway USA. It uses a lapping compound and isn’t nearly as sensitive to keep straight.

Some folks don’t crown and have no issues. Some people have huge issues.

In Clyde Baker's "Modern Gunsmithing" is described a simple method of muzzle crowning.

Brass balls of several sizes - 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4 inch diameter Get at least two of each size in case you lose or spoil one. Drill a little more than half way through each with a No. 29 twist drill and tap the hole 8x32. Turn in a screw 1" long, cut off the head, and use as a shank for holding.

In Clyde Baker's "Modern Gunsmithing" is described a simple method of muzzle crowning.

Brass balls of several sizes - 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4 inch diameter Get at least two of each size in case you lose or spoil one. Drill a little more than half way through each with a No. 29 twist drill and tap the hole 8x32. Turn in a screw 1" long, cut off the head, and use as a shank for holding.
My post was interrupted. This is the picture that accompanied the article in "Modern Gunsmithing"
crown.jpg

Back