CVA Optima V-2 still ok to buy new?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Trying to advise someone on buying a relatively inexpensive inline. With all the chatter about the new X guns being bad, are the original Optima V-2s still ok?

Also he wants to use a scope at first but will a scope model be able to convert to open sights down the road?

I really like my Optima V2 the reason I got the MR-X is because I find the stock less than optimal for iron sights, (comb is to high for me), it is very easy to put open sightss on it. I replaced the scope with a williams rail peep and a front globe. Love it.

I think generally they’re majority ok, I have one in the UPS network right now headed back to CVA under warranty for a second time.

Last edited:
Wolf, Optima V2, Accura Mr-x (.45) Love them all Cut my teeth on the wolf still a good shooter. My Optima V-2 likes on bullet and loose powder. Still getting used to the Mr-x. Do not regret the purchase on any of them

I am new to muzzleloading so I bought the Optima V2 a month or so ago to start. I have had it to the range 3 times now and have shot it probabbly 25-30 times with different pellets and bullets. Seems to shoot accurately with different bullets (Hornady Bore Guide, SST and XTP and powerbelts) and pellets. Will try loose powder next trip but shoots well and cleans up pretty easily. Not sure what problems, if any, others are having with it.

I am new to muzzleloading so I bought the Optima V2 a month or so ago to start. I have had it to the range 3 times now and have shot it probabbly 25-30 times with different pellets and bullets. Seems to shoot accurately with different bullets (Hornady Bore Guide, SST and XTP and powerbelts) and pellets. Will try loose powder next trip but shoots well and cleans up pretty easily. Not sure what problems, if any, others are having with it.
I haven’t heard of any problems with this model. It is the new X guns that are hit or miss as to good quality. Just wanted to be sure the optima was still ok, that they hadn’t changed the quality controls on it.

Last edited:
I guess I am most worried about barrel issues. That is the big issue with the x rifles
That’s what’s wrong with mine. It seems more isolated with the Optima’s vs widespread with the MR’s, but there are some that have issues. There’s a decent thread on Rokslide IIRC about an Optima’s with inconsistent bore.

Last edited:
I absolutely love my Optima V2. It’s been my go to gun for deer season for nearly 20 years. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with it.

Latest posts

Back