Couple of powder questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batchief909 said:
So why ya wanna vaporize a pig??

:?

Ain't you learned nutting from all that typing I just did?!?!?? The cool thing about the 375 is that it DOESN'T vaporize, it just pokes a nice hole in, and a nice hole out. Sheesh, sum people never learn....... :roll: :lol: :lol: :wink:

big6x6 said:
Batchief909 said:
So why ya wanna vaporize a pig??

:?

Good point! I figured you'd go from bow to pea shooter or slingshot! :lol:

Well, I got this new rock theory I'm working on, but my aim is still really bad, plus it hurts my back after I get a group with the rocks, so my practice has been limited. Plus hauling the rocks up to an elevated position is pretty tough. Guess I'd better stick with the "vaporizer" or "Fusion". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, shot today off the bench.

70 yards and about a 4" group. Everything felt good, scope and bases are tight and have not moved from spec.

I came back and cleaned the gun and it was pretty dirty. Even had powder in the bore, is that normal? It was burnt, but still was a handful of the little "sticks". I thought it might be plastic but once I got it out, it certainly was powder residue.

Pressures seemed to be okay and no problems with primers or loading or anything, but accuracy was bad. I will be trying some other loads over the next few days. I have some VV-110 and VV-120. Any thoughts on a .451 caliber load to start using those powders?

Shot the .375 and wasn't on paper as I just put on the LX mounts and all. After 3 shots I decided to put it up till I could get my bore sighter out. I found it later and had to move the scope a good bit so there was no wonder I was off as much as I was. I'll be shooting it tomorrow to get it dialed in for the hunt. 70 yards should be perfect for the hunt I think.

I guess I need to get a few bullets knurled and work up some other loads for the 250 grain shockwaves, and 300 and 240 Hornady XTP's, and the 300 grain Barnes Expanders.

A question for you guys too. When I shot this gun I lubed the breechplug and it came right out no problem but was sort of messy. Do you guys always lube your breechplugs?

I think you'll get better accuracy once your velocity gets where it needs to be...>2100fps. I'd go up a notch on the powder charge... But I have to say this..since you are use a minimal diameter bullet having to knurl the bullet to reach needed diameter...It makes since to me to use a lead core bullet which can obturate to full bore diameter...with the Expanders no chance of that.

I wouldn't use N-110..N-120 should be fine.

I ALWAYS lube my breechplugs although some do not.

big6x6 said:
I think you'll get better accuracy once your velocity gets where it needs to be...>2100fps. I'd go up a notch on the powder charge... But I have to say this..since you are use a minimal diameter bullet having to knurl the bullet to reach needed diameter...It makes since to me to use a lead core bullet which can obturate to full bore diameter...with the Expanders no chance of that.

I wouldn't use N-110..N-120 should be fine.

I ALWAYS lube my breechplugs although some do not.

Well, I have a larger number of lead core bullets to play with but I am going to at least try the Barnes to see what they want to do. Gotta play a little bit.....

And most bullets I have tried in my bore slightly engrave on the way down WITHOUT having to knurl, so I might have a few winners that I don't have to do anything special to.

Okay, I'll lube the plug too. Do you use the pink teflon tape too?

Are you using a card or wad under your bullet. most on the green bd shooting sabotless are.

good luck, interesting topic

redpep said:
Are you using a card or wad under your bullet. most on the green bd shooting sabotless are.

good luck, interesting topic

No, I was shooting sabots the other day, but when I go to sabotless, I plan on trying both the card and the wad to see which might be better.

Okay, did a little more shooting today. I loaded 55.8 grains of 4198. I shot 250 grain SST's, 300 grain Hornady XTP's, and 300 grain Barnes Expanders.

The SST's shot about a 3" group at 70 yards.

The XTP's shot a three shot group of .5", then the next two were touching but about an inch away from the first three, making for a little over an inch group.

The Barnes I shot three into an inch, then had to go make a few more quick loads and came back for #4 and #5 shots. #4 was 1.5" away, and then #5 was touching the first two shot making a perfect cloverleaf.

Blow back was considerable, but I have always had a lot of blowback with this plug, even when shooting 777. I had two 209's that the center fell out once ejected. I had a couple others that bulged slightly where it was sticking out of the plug. The plug seems to be fine at this point.

I used Walters card wad under each of the sabotless rounds. The Barnes needed to be knurled slightly to be tight, but with a fouled bore I think they will be just fine. The SST's and XTP's were both nice and snug in the bore without any knurling. I knurled one and it was almost too tight.

I was very pleased with the accuracy so far, and with tinkering it can only get better. I was very pleased with the Barnes performance being it is an all copper bullet, so the annealing process must be working somewhat to allow it to shoot as good as it did.

Does anyone see any problems with how things are going? My chrony was not reading due to the lighting, so I have no idea what I was pushing these bullets. I am going to shoot more tomorrow and see if I can get it to behave.

Thanks for eveyones help so far. I was going to post pics but I seem to have misplaced my camera.

Fine day of shooting

Well, today I upped the charges to 55.7 and moved up to 57.7 of IMR 4198. I shot the 300 grain Barnes Expanders, 300 grain Hrnady XTP's, and 240 grain Hornady XTP's.

Wind was light for the most part, and temps a nice 45 degrees.

Nearly 2/3rd's of the way through the shoot, I noticed the forearm was flopping around and was not tight. I tightend the forearm up and my POI changed and my group seemed to do better.

My chrony seemed to want to work today, except for one group I only got the first reading and failed to notice it was not reading the next four.

Here are the pics of the targets with info written on them. I seem to be getting decent velocities now, more like what I had hoped for. And no worries about knurling; once the bore is fouled, the bullets stay put and are just nice to load.

2001872080313668699_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

2001860496078531316_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

I dug up some of the bullets that were in the bank I was shooting into, and found some interesting things.

This was the Barnes 300 grainer that sort of exploded....

2001850204186961871_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

2001858284349742008_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

A 240 grain Hornady XTP.....

2001809706295688403_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

A really weird "squeezed" 300 grain Hornady XTP.....

2001854799812501935_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

2001811620461440990_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

Another 300 grain XTP, sorta normal...

2001847276507761309_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

A jacketless 240 grain XTP, not good.....

2001882564573959703_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

2001858032428172892_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

And the real surprise to me was this Barnes 300 grain Expander that was "intact" in the mud after going through the plywood of the target and a few branches and so forth. It was laying sideways in the clay bank almost on top of dirt. This was one of the "annealed" bullets too.....

2001671418348982103_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

2001645364486992962_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

Anyway, I had a blast shooting today, and certainly think I am on the right road to getting this gun to really shoot. So far there has been no problem with the breech plug, and the primers all come out fine. Some are bulged out some and sometimes the middle (actual primer) comes out, but overall I think they are fine.

I am getting a lot of blowby in my action. It is filthy!! I'm even getting some on my scope. But nothing that would be a problem while hunting, just makes a mess if you are trying to shoot a lot on the bench.

Any suggestions or comments on my progress so far?

Fergit the safety glasses, better bring a big meat pole cause I'm going to be stringing up the meat!!

The Barnes Expander puzzles me...I've had great results from that bullet out of my 91s. And I'm not pushing them near your velocities.... :(

Yeah, after seeing it, Scott said he has serious doubts about the Barnes. But maybe it needs fluid-like tissue to really want to open up and do it's thing. When it is shot into ballistic gelatin it seems to always work okay. Anyone else had Barnes expansion troubles? I don't see how it can't open up with that HUGE hollowpoint.

Yes the annealing is to make the copper soft again. Some of the rolling processes harden the metal. We then anneal it to soften it. It also can change the grain of the metal.

Don

Back