Couple of powder questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SW said:
Super 91 said:
Okay, Sportsmans Warehouse has VV but no N-110 or N-120. I settled for IMR 4198. I might go with 50 to start just to be on the safer side.
I would start with 50. You can always go up. I suspect 52-53 will be about all you'll want/need. So much depends on the integrity of your breechplug design.
I'll second his opinion, good luck, hope it works out.

Okay guys, I'm going to weigh out a few charges, and will try to shoot a little later on. Right now we are having 30-40mph winds, so it ain't much use getting on the bench. If the winds die down at all, I'll try a few loads.

Thanks for your help. If ANYONE thinks my load is incorrect, please pm me or post. I will check here before I go blow my head off..... Shocked

You beat me to it..... :lol: :shock:

Batchief909 said:
Thanks for your help. If ANYONE thinks my load is incorrect, please pm me or post. I will check here before I go blow my head off..... Shocked

Should we de-rail this post? :lol:

Super - If ya get a chance , could you post a picture of you breech plug design

big6x6 said:
Batchief909 said:

Should we de-rail this post? :lol:

Didn't I just do that?!?!? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just need some ejackumax and I'll be good to go!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I guess the 76 mph winds we are having won today. I am all ready to go with charges weighed out, bullets and primers ready to go, scope mounted and gun cleaned up waiting to be shot.

Hopefully the winds will lay down tomorrow and I can get out and do a little range work.

Good luck! And be careful!

gun_3.jpg

Okay guys, it was starting to rain when I wanted to shoot, but I decided to shoot a couple of rounds off-hand to see whether I would blow up or not..... :shock:

Well, I guess I survived.

I shot once at nothing really to see how the gun would handle. Recoil was light, smoke non-existant (seemed odd to me since all I ever shoot is black or subs), and the report was a sharper crack of a centerfire.

I loaded once again, got the chrony out to see the fps, and shot off-hand at my target board at 50 yards. I hit 4-5 inches low but did not have a target posted yet. Pretty decent since I just threw the scope on the other day without even boresiting.

I posted a target, read the chrony from the first shot and it read 1948. I thought that wasn't too bad....

I then shot once every 4-5 minutes for the next four shots. The next reading was crazy and I had to toss the reading since it was so crazy. The next three were very consistant, so I guess the chrony settled down and everything seemed to fall into place.

The primers were slightly flat, but not blown out or bulged. They came out easy enough; I could always removed them with my fingers with a slight tug. One primer appeared to leak some blowby around the face, but all the others came out just fine.

Here are the pics. Now don't kill me on my group as I was shooting off-hand in a standing position with no rest and the barrel was swinging around like a wild thing. And the yardage was only 50 as I was just working on the fps and function at this point, not really accuracy.

2003376066920593484_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

2003334113727900937_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

2003393452258351193_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

2003396178887301752_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

Little better pics. I re-sized 'em.

2002872250195922508_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

2002827739637252781_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

2002826483786785165_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

2002892847906271603_rs.jpg
[/url][/img]

Yeah, it actually ended up being 51.3 grains as my scale got off zero while I was weighing out the first 10 charges. Once I re-zeroed, I rechecked all the charges and they ended up being 51.3.

I am going to bump the charges up once Ihave a chance to sit down on the bench with what I have. I would like to get somewhere in the 2500-2600 fps range. But going sabotless (odd term as I thought anything that wasn't wrapped in plastic would be merely a conical provided it was full bore..... :wink: ) is my goal as well.

Thanks for all your help guys. The IMR 4198 seems to be working so far. I was thinking of trying some IMR 4350. Anyone tried that in their guns with any luck?

I would like to get somewhere in the 2500-2600 fps range

Oh boy is that gonna kick! :shock:

My .375 H&H shoots a 300gr Sierra right at 2600fps using 80gr IMR-4350. I'll tell you it kicks the crap out of me! :D But it IS a light rifle..

big6x6 said:
I would like to get somewhere in the 2500-2600 fps range

Oh boy is that gonna kick! :shock:

My .375 H&H shoots a 300gr Sierra right at 2600fps using 80gr IMR-4350. I'll tell you it kicks the crap out of me! :D But it IS a light rifle..

I shoot the 270 grain Federal Classic soft points. The rifle is an old Interarms Mark X based on the Mauser FN action. Ultra smooth and this sucker shoots lights out. First time I shot it I got a 1/2" group at 100 yards! I thought I must have hit the bull once, then was missing the whole target, so I moved my crosshairs over 1" and drilled the spot I was aiming at.

The rifle is heavy, which really helps on recoil. I enjoy shooting it. Yes, you know you have shot it,but it is not that bad at all to me. It's will be my backup rifle on the hog hunt this year if I don't get this Super Fusion to shoot. But so far it is showing real promise.

The rifle is an old Interarms Mark X based on the Mauser FN action.

I've always wanted one of those! They are nice rifles! You should sell it! :lol:

NEVER!! I love the old gun. Some guy had carried it to Alaska for 15-16 years to hunt with it, but it was always foul weather so he never brought it out of the case as he had a stainless all-weather gun in case it was bad out. Story goes he only shot one or two boxes of shells through the gun. I happened upon it in an old gun shop. I wasn't looking for a rifle, but the more I looked at it, the more I liked it. I finally put some money down on it, and told the guy I would come back the next day and get it. As I walked out the door, I looked back and asked him "What caliber is that rifle anyway?" He looked at me sort of funny, told me 375 H&H and I grinned and asked myself what on earth I was going to do with that sort of caliber. I bought the thing for $425 with an old Weaver scope on it with cracked glass.

It has the open sights you can flip the blades up and go from 100 to 200 to 300 yards by just flipping the right blade up. Too bad my eyes won't allow me to ever shoot open sights well enough to use them....

I put a Leupold LX mounting system on the gun. Coolest quick detach mount I have ever used. I have not shot it with the mount yet, but it sure works nicely. Not cheap, but by far the best mount I have ever seen like this. If you have not seen the LX mounting system, do a search for it and look how it's made. It's really cool. Fastest release on the market. I can have the scope off the gun in .03 seconds and back on in 1.2 seconds...... :shock:

I've done a little research and so far I've come across a few of these guns for sale and if they are in decent condition they sell for $1100-1200 so I feel like I got a decent deal. And once I shot it, there was no doubt. It really is one of the most accurate guns I own.

And one more note on the gun. I took it out the first year I had it and decided I would see how this "elephant gun" would do on whitetails. Nothing short of amazing. Many people told me I was crazy to hunt whitetails with that caliber. How wrong they can be. The perseption is that it will blow a deer in two. How far from the truth. Wonderfully nice entry and exits, bullets mushroom nicely and quick clean kills. It leaves much less devastation than say a .243. Less blood shock, and quick clean kills. It literally "sucked" the heart out of the first deer I shot with it. Exit about the size of a 50 cent piece, and no heart in the deer at ALL. There were pieces of the heart all over where the deer had stood, and he only went 10 yards and piled up. It's a great caliber.

Back