CVA Mag, hunter, firebolt, etc

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen a few of these on the cheap in 45 caliber, thinking about trying 1 out - are these total junk or can they be built into a decent blackhorn shooter without rebarreling, rebolting, & rebreachpluging? Thanks

Definitely no. No, the rifle is not worth the effort to make it shoot Blackhorn reliably. However, it has been done before.

michiganmuzzy mentioned one needs to shim the bolt......this is true. After the bolt is shimmed one needs a custom breech plug.

There was a couple old boys around here that made their magbolts into Blackhorn shooters. They talked me into making them breech plugs. Made them several plugs out of grade 8 bolts, but won't do any more. Even made them plugs that utilized a vent liner. Made the plugs with less head space than the factory plug. Evidently they worked good. Found one of them old plugs on the shelf gathering dust.

IMG_4577.JPG

IMG_4579.JPG

IMG_4578.JPG

This plug is not for sale.

Definitely no. No, the rifle is not worth the effort to make it shoot Blackhorn reliably. However, it has been done before.

michiganmuzzy mentioned one needs to shim the bolt......this is true. After the bolt is shimmed one needs a custom breech plug.

There was a couple old boys around here that made their magbolts into Blackhorn shooters. They talked me into making them breech plugs. Made them several plugs out of grade 8 bolts, but won't do any more. Even made them plugs that utilized a vent liner. Made the plugs with less head space than the factory plug. Evidently they worked good. Found one of them old plugs on the shelf gathering dust.

IMG_4577.JPG

IMG_4579.JPG

IMG_4578.JPG

This plug is not for sale.

Yeah there are for sure better, easier options out there.

After seeing the breech plug I believe I could make that & could incorporate the bolt shim - I am open to easier options but I also assume they are more expensive? I am kicking around punting my 54 cal 700 ml. Would need bolt nose kit & breech plug at minimum. then a liner or new custom $400 plus barrel then have someone install the barrel - I don't shoot it enough to justify that much cost or really need smokeless capabilities.

Where the Winchester X-150 the same as any of these mag bolt, hunter bolt, fire bolt etc?

After seeing the breech plug I believe I could make that & could incorporate the bolt shim - I am open to easier options but I also assume they are more expensive? I am kicking around punting my 54 cal 700 ml. Would need bolt nose kit & breech plug at minimum. then a liner or new custom $400 plus barrel then have someone install the barrel - I don't shoot it enough to justify that much cost or really need smokeless capabilities.

Where the Winchester X-150 the same as any of these mag bolt, hunter bolt, fire bolt etc?
The Win X-150 should be the same as the CVA Kodiak, iirc. I had heard it is just rebranded for Winchester.

Latest posts

Back