CVA optima bore diameter??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnordwell

Reaction score
Hello I am thinking of buying the nw version of the CVA optima for next fall. Want to start looking at sabots for it and was wondering what. Everyone has been using for sabots. Thanks

So far in both my CVA Optima V2 and my son's Wolf we've shot both Harvester crush rib & smooth black sabots, T/C Superglide sabots, Hornady sabots that come with SST hi-speed low drag, and Hornady .44/.50 & .45/.50 sabots. All have shot well from both rifles. The crush ribs definitely load easier, as advertised.

For our hunting loads we both use Harvester smooth black sabots and Harvester Scorpion PT Gold .45cal 300gr bullets.

jnordwell said:
Hello I am thinking of buying the nw version of the CVA optima for next fall. Want to start looking at sabots for it and was wondering what. Everyone has been using for sabots. Thanks
This is going to depend on the bullet you use. Some load combinations that I have used in my Accura and Optima are:

Scorpion PT Gold, both 260 & 300 gn, and Barnes TEZ 290 and Hornady FTX 250 with Harvester short back or MMP HPH24 sabots
Hornady .430 265 gn FTX and XTP .430 300 gn with Harvester or MMP smooth green sabots
Hornady .458 250 gn Monoflex & 325 gn FTX & 300 gr HP with MMP orange sabots
Hornady SST/TC Shockwave bullets with the standard supplied sabots also load nicely
The HornadySST with the Low Drag sabots/TC Shockwave with the Super Glide sabots/Traditions SST which all come with the MMP EZ-3P sabots all load a bit loose and aren't really needed

I've tried some other combos but I've listed the most accurate ones for me and they are enough to give you an idea. The Hornady 265 & 300 gn FTXs are two of my most accurate and favorite loads. You can see that I don't use the popular Harvester crush rib sabots in my CVA rifles. I have them, and have used them, but to me, they seem a bit loose and don't give me any greater accuracy than the smooth sabots I mentioned.

a1smokepole said:
mine is around .501 that's what thor bullet size I use.

I, too, would say the CVA's bore is .501, or maybe just slightly more. The .501 Thor is also the best fit in mine. It loads easily. I can get a .502 down the barrel but it is tight.

sabinajiles said:
a1smokepole said:
mine is around .501 that's what thor bullet size I use.

I, too, would say the CVA's bore is .501, or maybe just slightly more. The .501 Thor is also the best fit in mine. It loads easily. I can get a .502 down the barrel but it is tight.
I use the .502 or .503 in my Optima. Either one same poi. Obviously the .503 being tighter. What I've read in this thread proves to me that the CVA's shoot well with a lot of different combos.

Back