CVA Optima NW firing pin bushing removal tool

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtfarmer

Reaction score
I purchased a CVA Optima NW 50 cal muzzle loader and the tool provided to remove the firing pin bushing did not fit the gun as assembled :roll: . I was told to fabricate a proper fitting tool out of a screw driver :shock: . See photos if you need to remove your firing pin assembly :yeah: .

Attachments

• Bushing Tool drawing.jpg
    Bushing Tool drawing.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 189
  • Bushing Tool Top View -End.jpg
    Bushing Tool Top View -End.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 188
  • Bushing Tool Side view.jpg
    Bushing Tool Side view.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 188
It was probably the tool for the 209 primer firing pin bushing? That firing pin is narrower than your NW firing pin for percussion caps. Couldn't you have just ground out the center to straddle the larger firing pin, or wouldn't there have been enough meat left on both sides to remove the bushing?

The old screwdriver modification looks good. Good job!

Here is a video in this link.

https://cva.com/cva-firing-pin-removal-tool/

Busta, thanks. Ya, first I did grind out the center of the provided bushing removal tool to straddle the firing pin but then it was too weak and twisted/bent the tool without loosening the bushing. I ruined a couple of screw drivers before I got it correct, first one was the screw driver I modified was too short to clear the gun frame. I'm hoping to save others the same trials I went through.

Latest posts

Back