CVA Optima V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After reading all the positive comments, I ordered one this morning from Muzzle-Loaders.com.
SS barrel, black synthetic stock and the one piece scope base.
Once I receive it, I'm planning to customize it with a Boyd's stock. Still deciding on the basic walnut stock and forend or a laminate. I might get the nutmeg.
Then there's the scope question. I always liked Nikon but they don't make them anymore. I don't want to spend a ton of money but want something decent.
3x9x40.
Appreciate any ideas.

That's going to be a nice rig,,, I sure like their Maple with black ebony for end and cap on it too. If I was looking for a good economy scope I would look at the Burris line. They do some neat checkering designs and some little emblems too,, make it look a little custom

Oh no Jim!!!! You're moving to the dark side now (it's fun here). Odd though reading your posts have reinvigorated me into pulling out my old Cabelas Investarms 1 in 66 twist and just ordered/received a used barrel for the spare Bobcat stock/lock I have. I also just parted together a CVA Frontier, non carbine. Not sure what you want to spend on a scope but I have many budget scopes, Burris and Vortex along with Bushnell. I think they are all in the same class and will serve you well. I would opt for the Burris though, a bit lighter and smaller than the others. Bushnells are tanks though and seem to hold up well in my experience. If you can afford it, I would "upgrade" to a Leupold Freedom. Nice glass and I've had no issues with the ones I have.
John

Oh no Jim!!!! You're moving to the dark side now (it's fun here). Odd though reading your posts have reinvigorated me into pulling out my old Cabelas Investarms 1 in 66 twist and just ordered/received a used barrel for the spare Bobcat stock/lock I have. I also just parted together a CVA Frontier, non carbine. Not sure what you want to spend on a scope but I have many budget scopes, Burris and Vortex along with Bushnell. I think they are all in the same class and will serve you well. I would opt for the Burris though, a bit lighter and smaller than the others. Bushnells are tanks though and seem to hold up well in my experience. If you can afford it, I would "upgrade" to a Leupold Freedom. Nice glass and I've had no issues with the ones I have.
John
My first love is my old sidehammer guns. In fact, over the weekend I was up to the range with a CVA Mountain Stalker. I had to pull the lock apart on it last week. Heated up the hammer and bent it just a bit as the cup was hanging up on the # 11 caps.
Anyway, got it all straight shooting now.
I recently sold off a few items and made a few bucks and wanted to get something modern, I'm not totally traditional as I do already have a CVA Optima pistol.
A buddy of mine has Bushnell scopes on most of his rifles. He likes them just fine.

I had forgotten you had the Optima pistol so not a huge leap then!

Question: Do you know what size dovetails are on the Bobcat? Would like to get some fiber optic sights.

I had forgotten you had the Optima pistol so not a huge leap then!

Question: Do you know what size dovetails are on the Bobcat? Would like to get some fiber optic sights.
They're a metric size. About 3/8. I guess. If you call deercreek products, I'm sure they can tell you the correct measurement. They have always been helpful to me.

Thanks!

Ended up searching on here they are .360. I used the 3/8" ones before and had to file down to get them to fit but don't want to do that this time.

Last edited:
CVA Accura V2 is IMHO an excellent BP rifle. This is mine with a Nikon Muzzleloader scope which is a tack driver. Note the blue tape witness marks for loaded/unloaded on the ramrod.

1654043422029.png

The other weekend I worked on a new load for my identical Optima. Formerly shot bh209 and plan to stick with the 777 ff after my session. Using the bh209 breech plug the .452 hornady interlock spire point 245 grn 450 bushmaster bullet in a black harvester crush rib on top of 95 grn volume 777 ff and cci mzl 209s i got it shooting a 1in ragged hole at 50 yrds and pushed it out to 110 (all I can get off the front porch) fully cleaned her and loaded her like i was hunting and hit 2 in low and 1 in left. Reloaded after a spit patch/ dry patch swab and it hit dead on up and down and a inch right. I figured that would be a good place to start with closer to the fall. 3x9x40 nikon inline xr factory durasight mount

Midwayusa has the hornadys on sale right now also...

just curious ...... why did you choose SS over their nitride offering ? aesthetics or do you feel nitride is just hype ? or some other reason ?

when i was thinking of changing my scope the leupold freedoms were at the top of my list . i still may move to one if i decide to sell my bushy AR .

btw , congrats on the new gun :) .

just curious ...... why did you choose SS over their nitride offering ? aesthetics or do you feel nitride is just hype ? or some other reason ?

when i was thinking of changing my scope the leupold freedoms were at the top of my list . i still may move to one if i decide to sell my bushy AR .

btw , congrats on the new gun :) .
I'm just cheap. Lol

I bought the V2 stainless with camo stock a couple years ago and it is a great rifle. Easy to clean and shoots great. After I got it dialed in it is very accurate but all of my shots are under 100 yards. Got the one piece scope mount and put a Bushnell 3x9x40 Banner Dusk & Dawn on it. Have had no issues with it.

Hi all, just joined up tonight and ran across this post. I just received a new Optima myself yesterday. I opted for the V2 LR with the OD green cerakote. Havent shot it yet, but it feels great to shoulder, cant wait. I bought a Redfield Tracker 3-9x40 to put on it. Ive also got an Optima V2 pistol, 3 older Optima Pros, a Wolf, a Rem 700 ml, a knight TK 2000, 2 BP revolvers, and I just sold 2 Knight Americans. Hopefully Ill fit in around here. Deermanok, I hope you are as impressed with your Optima as I am this one.

Attachments

• 20220531_215035.jpg
    20220531_215035.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Hi all, just joined up tonight and ran across this post. I just received a new Optima myself yesterday. I opted for the V2 LR with the OD green cerakote. Havent shot it yet, but it feels great to shoulder, cant wait. I bought a Redfield Tracker 3-9x40 to put on it. Ive also got an Optima V2 pistol, 3 older Optima Pros, a Wolf, a Rem 700 ml, a knight TK 2000, 2 BP revolvers, and I just sold 2 Knight Americans. Hopefully Ill fit in around here. Deermanok, I hope you are as impressed with your Optima as I am this one.
Fantastic. That's a good crowd you got there. You'll fit in here just fine. Can I remove that blank post for you?:)

Welcome to the forum. I have the Optima pistol too. I know how that shoots, which is excellent. I'm sure the rifle will be similar.

Back