CVA Optima V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deer are just as dead!
True, but I seldom hunt deer. Our state WMA laws forbid modern sidearms for backup during ML season, and MLs are limited to "one projectile per barrel", no C&B revolvers.

I only fire 2 or 3 of these loads to check the sights at the end of a target session (my right hand was still swollen 3 weeks after the last 3 rounds); or when I'm forced to shoot while hunting hillbilly hogs that are so close in thick cover, I can smell them before seeing them. The V2 is my "howdah" pistol.

I think the V2 rifle could take any non-dangerous game in North America.

I don't have a chrono, but based on penetration into wood, 130 is the point of diminishing returns (and my recoil limit). I'm sure the 400 grain bullet allows more powder to burn. Also, I size the lead to be a tight fit which acts somewhat like a cartridge crimp - JMHO.

I have a 4/12/21 article from Woods n Water - which was recently removed from the website - where Jim Hammond tested Pyrodex loads in a V1 pistol and MV continued increasing all the way to 150 grains(Volume) RS. He got 250 grain sabot bullets over 2000 fps, but said recoil became unmanageable beyond 1800 fps.

My load pushes the muzzle vertical and twists the gun almost 45 degrees. That's how the hammer and trigger guard hit my knuckles . My hand and was numb from the first two shots, and I didn't get a proper hold on the third.

I'd love to see what this load would do from a V2 rifle.

Thanks. GBG, the article was a good read. Author was a tiny bit critical on the "opening up" of accuracy at 100yds. He states "The 260-grain Harvester Scorpion in front of 70 grains of Blackhorn 209 shot 1-inch groups at 50 yards, but 1.2-inch groups at 100 yards." I could live with that all day long!

It appears he has/had a V1 version? I looked up the manual for it and it does say the barrel is equally strong as the rifle but the max recommended load is 100grs , the rest basically being wasted.

I have three V2 pistols and a Vortek and can't imagine shooting more than 90grs in the V2, usually I am at 80grs and 67grs of 777 in the Vortek. I need to check the V2 manual to see if they changed the max load language.

Edit: V2 manual says the same as V1 for loads.

John

Attachments

• 20220618_092727.jpg
    20220618_092727.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
When you seat your new plug to your action you want the primer to have a little bit of crush and you still want the gun to lock up and the trigger to cock if you take your time you can achieve all of that the only thing you'll need to do after that is use your drill bit every three or four shots. There's a lot of videos out and there's a lot of guys here that have had a lot of experience but you're headed in the right direction!
The plug came in today… I’m ready for direction! Steer me right!!!

That's interesting. I pulled the 209 breech plug out of my Optima pistol yesterday. A 1/8" drill bit fit just fine. I gave it a few twirls around and did get some crud out of the channel.
I’m wrong. Sorry….I just tried it with the new plug and yes 1/8” fits. So I put the old one in a vice, used a nut driver and was able to get it going… there was a good amount of carbon that came out…

I bought the CVA Optima V2 50 LR nitride rifle. I am fixing to replace the scope it came with it. With either a Leopold 3x9x40mm ML scope. Or a Burris 3x9x40mm or a 4.5x14x42mm.

Latest posts

Back