CVA Paramount Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, I was just kidding. If I were in charge of taking stock pics for the owners manual I would have used a nicer wrench for the picture. Theirs looks like a cheap bargain bin wrench you get in your stocking for Christmas.

I broke down an bought a Paramount. It's being converted to 209 ignition. When I have the parts, I'd be willing to give parts to a few others with the gun to test. No gunsmith type work is required but the user can headspace it easily. The spring is eliminated as it would never work.
Maybe next weekend I will have some results to share...

send it to NMLRA Office, us Inline people will test it

I broke down an bought a Paramount. It's being converted to 209 ignition. When I have the parts, I'd be willing to give parts to a few others with the gun to test. No gunsmith type work is required but the user can headspace it easily. The spring is eliminated as it would never work.
Maybe next weekend I will have some results to share...
I would be willing to test.

Got the replacement head spring in today and you can definitely see a big difference in size. Its an order of magnitude harder to compress. (Maybe 5-10X) I had to drop the bolt head in by vice jaws to get it off the bolt though. Guess they forgot the anti seize at the factory. I was afraid I was going to break the bolt handle off the bolt before it came loose. Anyway installed back with anti seize and will try it out in a few weeks when it cools off enough for a range day. I took pictures of the internals in more detail and will post then shortly.

Thanks, just as i thought. That could be shimmed internally or spring removed altogether with some work. Looks like a simple conversion using 209 to get a slight crush and only slightly harder for LRMPs.

Like I said way back on page 2.

"If it does have a spring, that means it can also be replaced by a stronger spring, static shim, or bushing sized for your particular primer of choice."

You could actually use a bushing and a different spring. The spring either inside or outside the bushing. The spring full length, and the bushing length sized to give your 209 primer 0.003" of crush, or lock up tight on Variflame primer module. Both either with or without an O-Ring.

I know I could make a one off totally blowback free. And that would only be if I decide to buy one, which is unlikely at this point. I am interested in seeing how the optional 209 primer breech plugs are working. It's obviously working in the .45 caliber 1:22 fast twist Accura V2 LR with the Blackhorn 209 QRBP.

The heavier spring isn't working 100% CVA, time to get either a smaller diameter spring inside a bushing/sleeve, or a larger diameter spring outside a bushing/sleeve inside the bolt body. The bushing/sleeve sized to be a positive stop, after the spring compresses.

This isn't Rocket Science, CVA, KNIGHT, REMINGTON, it's just a primer and breech plug combination that doesn't leak. C'mon, we know you can do it! But why won't you?

Last edited:
I suspect that the part of the bolt face that actually contacts the Variflame adapter to provide "pressure" may be too large in diameter to successfully use 209s. A 209 rim is not much wider than the center firing pin shroud. That part of the bolt appears to be fixed and surely will not hard contact the primer to "press" it down. If you shim the outer ring (the actual self head spacing bolt face) then it may only catch the very edge of the rim of the 209. Would that be an issue?

I'm really looking forward to hearing from Luke at Arrowhead. I would certainly toss a couple hundy at a new breach plug that used his brass adapters. Even better if he comes up with a way for the bolt head to hold/extract the primer instead of having to insert it in the breach plug every time.

I suspect that the part of the bolt face that actually contacts the Variflame adapter to provide "pressure" may be too large in diameter to successfully use 209s. A 209 rim is not much wider than the center firing pin shroud. That part of the bolt appears to be fixed and surely will not hard contact the primer to "press" it down. If you shim the outer ring (the actual self head spacing bolt face) then it may only catch the very edge of the rim of the 209. Would that be an issue?

I'm just going by the original information, and later information that they're would be a optional 209 ignition bench plug. Maybe that includes a bolt face insert, it maybe the breech plug stands the primer a little prouder that would put it into the cupped part of the bolt face. Don't know, but would like to see what it is.

Whoever is first to get a 209n primer breech plug for the Paramount, please post up.

Not everyone is going to want to pony up what Luke is going to want for the conversion. Especially if you still need to use tools to insert / remove the modules, when you can flick out a 209 primer, and not have to worry about losing them, or deprime and reprime.

I'm sure there will be positives and negatives to both systems?

Actually, was just going to post that I've got the bolt head portion designed. It's going to trail plug by a few weeks, but should be a super slick setup when it's complete.

That being said, if you want to run high horsepower loads with a 209, you're going to end up using a tool to remove primers unless you're ok with blowback. And if you're buying a Paramount and not planning on running heavy doses of BH209, I would have to ask why???

Also, I'm planning on offering a nice introductory discount for the MM board for the kit.

And... I'm pretty optimistic about this kit. With the upgrade, the Paramount should be king of the hill for production muzzleloaders.

Last edited:
My 209 breech plug is on the way. They're in stock now. No bolt face adapter that I know of. I'll measure to see if the 209 primer matches up when I get home.

Latest posts

Back